Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
  2. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching this closely also.
    I'm planning to be there in exactly 3 weeks.
    I'll be staying right next to Lochsa Lodge (Powell Campground) for 3 nights, and riding that area.
    I will probably do an "Out-and-Back" of Lolo Motorway if it's closed on the other end, if I can't find a connector road to bail out.
    SlickRickMotoADV likes this.
  3. SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV Northern California ST/ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    It looks like 107 is the way out currently from Lolo. You don't get to do much going west from the start of it, but if 107 is open, at least you don't have to go all the way back. Does anyone have info on that?

Trying to get back on the other side by Beaver Dam Saddle....... what complicated route do I need to decipher for that?

https://goo.gl/maps/A8gy2UJkxH8Dk4sv5
    View attachment 3068877
    5503/Swan Creek Road (by Syringa) > 101 > 418 > 454 > Yakus Creek Rd > Molly Creek Rd > 5119 > 518 > Lolo Creek Road > 103 > Beaver Dam Saddle

That's the best I could come up with.
    Skunk-Works likes this.
  4. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hoping for a miracle... I lost my Mosko Moto 22 liter bag and my tent pile bag (they’re strapped together) somewhere between Pine and Idaho city. Will gladly pay some kind soul a finders fee. I am continuing on the route and will be caned at the Jeanette campground tonight and RidersRest in Elk city the ninth.
  5. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    i may try this route the 2 waypoints on the Lolo which is purple and the route i might try is in the red it might not work but coming from NY i am riding some of the Lolo work around.jpg
    SlickRickMotoADV likes this.
  6. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took silver creek and it was very good a couple of weeks ago.
  7. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    There’s a few options up there that should get you around any closures. I had a few spare hours today so I ran up there and the smoke isn’t that bad. You can get in fine from the east and ride for quite a ways. I didn’t go all the way to the closures I was just wanting to see how bad the smoke was after reading this thread. I also wanted to check and see if it was still Rocky… It is. And the burgers and beer at the Lochsa are still amazing!

I went in on 109, to 500, and came out 566. Those numbers correspond to the paper IDBDR map I have. The map doesn’t show 566 tying into 500 but it it does.

0248A793-5EE9-49BC-A2CB-C31EED63191D.jpeg

78C6B35F-AFBD-4202-880A-CCBFDCB216A6.jpeg

82E7ECA1-A1B5-45E8-8D04-D2667E54FA75.jpeg

Not sure what I can’t get rid of the tire pic...

Attached Files:

rdw, PYG RYDR, dino702 and 3 others like this.
  8. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A group of us (5-7) are headed S-N starting July 31st. Hopefully things clear up a bit.
  9. jusbeach

jusbeach Ramble on Rose

Oddometer:
    Highway 12, Lolo Pass, is now closed due to fire.

21386F49-5467-4AC8-A49F-1589393BAEEB.png
    SidewinderX likes this.
  10. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received an email yesterday from Recreation.gov
    They cancelled and refunded my reservation for July 24th.
    I had booked "Gordon Reese Cabin" for one night, and it's now in a fire-closure zone due to the fire that's across Hwy-43 around the Montana border.
  11. SlickRickMotoADV

Oddometer:
    I am supposed to head out of Jarbidge on August 21st. Do you guys think this will still be an issue then?
  12. jusbeach

jusbeach Ramble on Rose

Oddometer:
    August and September are usually the biggest fire months. Being that it’s only early July, this summer is going to be bad everywhere in the West if the weather doesn’t change and brings rain. Some of these fires will burn till we see extended heavy rain or snow.
  13. SlickRickMotoADV

Oddometer:
    Yeah I guess I should start planning an alternate WABDR trip....ugh.
  14. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yeah, things have gotten worse since my last post, only two days ago. Good luck all.
  15. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3 heading out Friday to ride some of the BDR for 7 days. Well be following the RMATV/MC tracks version. Ill Try to post some updates along our journey . If the the fires and smoke get too bad plan to jump on the BOM 2017 route to get us back home.
    SidewinderX, mokhtario and Harder1 like this.
  16. WoodrowBDR

Oddometer:
    Picked up the trail in Lowman yesterday. Food and gas at the Haven. Were headed north. Were now in Yellowpine. Great riding so far. Smoke has been a non issue so far.
  17. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know! Please keep us updated when you can. We are heading out in 2 weeks.
    Thank you
  18. WoodrowBDR

Oddometer:
    yesterday was another hot sunny day. We went rode up to Pilot Peak lookout and could see the smoke from the Dixie fire to the north. Made our way down to the river. Temps climbed. It was hot . 111 degrees. Stop at Warren for food and gas. Views still good and smoke no issue. Stopped just past Burgdorf for the night.
    Michhub and SidewinderX like this.
  19. WoodrowBDR

Oddometer:
    We woke up with no sunshine and smoke moving in. The ride this morning was cooler, smoke in the air . The mountain views are now being restricted by the smoke. We still having fun but were missing out on alot of photo ops.
    Were currently in Elk City getting water,fuel, and food. 20210719_091911.jpg
    Magruder next. Were told no camping on the southside of the road its in the fire restricted area.
  20. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Clearwater County Deputy was stopping traffic on the South side of Grandad bridge on Saturday. They could probably give the best update on if they are still doing that. Dent Bridge would get you to Elk River to the west or the 250 road out of Pierce to the East and then up Kelly ck to 255 and across to the 250 again. Black Canyon is closed due to slides. From the 250 either Superior or onto fs320 and Red Ives on the St Jo. Fires may stop you.