Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Google Maps will give you a decent route to Glenns Ferry - as the third choice. Highway 30 half of the way, then whatever those other roads are. That's about as good as you're likely to get.
    STLR and mokhtario like this.
  2. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I passed a fellow Team Oranger just North of Avery. :wave
    The North part of section 6 is GTG. There is an active fire camp on the West edge of Avery with road closures marked to the East. I rode North of Wallace, up the W Fork of 9 Mile Rd just a few miles, and never did see the southern edge of the road closures closer to Prichard. Traffic was thick today with folks heading home from the holiday weekend.
    IMG_8621.jpeg IMG_8619.jpeg
  3. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Falls Point Road - Elk City to Selway

My wife and I just got home after a great “Round the Frank Church” trip of 1,200 miles and 12 days of great times. We started and ended in Riggins where we had a secure place to leave our truck and trailer. We saw a number of guys doing a similar trip to avoid the Darby-Lolo highway section.

We’d camp for 3 or 4 days and then hit a motel or cabin to clean up. We took shorter days because we can, we are both retired and 65. We both ride KTM 690’s set up well for camping.

Falls Point Road was kind of the Gem of the trip. It is 35-miles from Elk City to the Selway. Part of it is graded, rock Forest Service road, but there is a lot of really nice, remote two track winding through forest as well. Then comes the drop-off into the Selway – see graph below…….
    Graph.jpg

Just talking the section above the Selway: We were turned back two years ago by the road, er’ah trail being closed by a slump just as the road starts to fall off the hill. This year the Forest Service had it open to anything under 50 inches. From the tracks on the ground, most of the traffic was quads and/or small side-by-sides. We went around the road closed barricade.

This was the hardest section of our trip. We are ok - experienced riders, but not “Good” riders. We were heavy, carrying camping gear and food. This section is very steep with lots of rock and 2 to 4 inch limbs from tree removal that function as ball bearings on the steeper sections.…gotta call out whoever cleared out the down timber, would have been a big job….there are also three or four slides over the trail which create some exposure – not real risky, just don’t screw it up. I was glad when we hit improved road down by the river! Overall, we were both pushed by this last section.

Attached Files:

4. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shameless plug for those that like to eat: I ran into some wonderful folks last night on the south end of section 8. Mike and Teresa Stevens own and operate http://oldicehousepizzeria.com
    They are both riders and are heading off on the IDBDR shortly too. They are just off the route on ID 200 (3.2 miles SE of the turnoff at Trestle Creek and 10 miles NW of Clark Fork). The restaurant overlooks Lake Pend Oreille with a phenomenal view.
    The good news is, we finally got some rain. I ran into another Team Oranger too.
    P9110022.JPG
  5. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh. Last month on the Selway side, the road was clearly marked Closed. The Forest Circus usually doesn't barricade roads open to 50" or less, they just gate them and leave a gap. Did you see any signage saying it was open? How do you know it was open, or did you just follow tracks?

Not picking on you. The gal at the FS office told me about six weeks ago they didn't know if or when the road would be reopened. I spend a moderate amount of time in that area so I'm curious.
  6. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called the Elk City FS office. They said it was open all the way to 50 inch and under. We went around the gate on both ends.
    1911fan likes this.
  7. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you read the Closure notice on the 385 road barricade (drain pipe washout), it expired Dec 2020. Go around it.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  8. okietrailboss

okietrailboss Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wife and I were on lolo pass 9/2 and the motorway was closed around the Indian post office
  9. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was open 9/6.
    20210904_151904.jpg
  10. mokhtario

mokhtario dirt, sand & rocks

Oddometer:
    Just finished the BDR

Lowman: you can go thru it
    Lolo trail closed back on 12 magnificent road riding along the river to pierce.
    Character Fire is in section 7, north of Wallace. Quick reroute north
    Start of section 8 stay on 200 to trestle creek.

What an amazing state and so many nice people i met on the trail.
    DA0BF067-70D1-4F92-AB0B-D95E69B77013.jpeg D6264A81-9D7B-4F22-8C8F-E9DBF55597B1.jpeg 8E2CB568-7825-497A-9F2D-4206DFF24474.jpeg BA655DDC-8D16-4BBE-8032-5FB816ED028B.jpeg E6DA6A82-EA99-4D4D-B360-F385731E385D.jpeg 9F584403-5DC4-4334-9DC1-B8774E44261F.jpeg DC3BC533-8828-42C4-974D-B0D734FC4C2C.jpeg
    sorebutt, Harder1, WSobchak and 17 others like this.
  11. ktmrandy

ktmrandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished the IDBDR south to north. All roads are open fires are out. I discovered I like the sections 06 and 07, 234 miles to be the best 234 mile stretch of any BDR I have done which includes New Mexico, Utah, Arizona and Colorado. I especially like single lane wiggly roads. It was a little cold a couple days.

Attached Files:

12. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a good time. And yeah, the temps up here get a "little" cooler than Sacratomato.
    SilverAdvRdr likes this.
  13. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Did you encounter much snow, or was it manageable?
  14. ktmrandy

ktmrandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No snow in Idaho only in Oregon. I did get rained on occasionally. No real mud to speak of.