Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:

I've done COBDR and UTBDR. Looking to do IDBDR this summer. Is July the best time weather wise? I hope so.
  2. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Mid July through most of September are all good. The Magruder and Lolo Motorways usually aren't cleared until mid July and especially the Magruder needs to be monitored any time you head through - given fire, slides, road work closures that can happen at any time.
  3. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Great. Thank you.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The biggest unknown variable is will you hit the BDRs in the middle of western monsoon rains. Sept can be the "safest" month from this perspective.
  5. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    And you just never know. Saturday through Monday (yesterday) I rode the Lolo Motorway and the Magruder and the conditions where great. But not today...according to the weatherman.

You gotta watch the weather and other conditions most anytime.
  6. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    July and Aug. are really dry months. They get less than half an inch of rain in either of those months. A bigger problem is fires in Aug. with lots of smoke. Usually the end of July is the best.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

If you're planning to attend the Seattle IMS show this weekend, BDR President Paul Guillien will be giving two "Sneak Peak of the Idaho BDR" presentations -- on Friday at 4:30 pm and Saturday at 1:00 pm on the Eagle Rider Stage. Stop by for some ADV inspiration and set your 2015 BDR plans in motion.
  9. Bain Dramage

Bain Dramage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When do we get the YouTube sneak peek?

Will the DVD and tracks be out in Feb?
  10. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul did a great job with the presentation and the slide show was cool...... Some interesting takeaways...

The route is South to North as usual.....it's 1400 miles total, it's like a double BDR. Not to technical, only sand in one short stretch..... figure 150 mile days, maybe 200 if you push the day. First 5 days "no cell service".....there's some cool stories to go along with the sights and experiences,,,big bike friendly......maps and video out approx. Jan 15th.....

My 2 cents........go to the BDR website and become a member.....you get the map and video and whatever else is listed in each sections description which pays back a good chunk of the initial expense.....but more importantly these guys are doing us an incredible favor by researching and creating these routes. Lets help them keep the ball rolling....in my 40 plus years of riding, these are the best riding tools and routes to come along! :freaky
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    IDBDR map goes to press this monday :clap

We all just saw the preview pdf of the map and it's a SWEET route!
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    We should be seeing sneak peaks any day now.
    They are coming out a little slower this time.
    I'll post when I get notice.

DVD and tracks (& maps) will all be available for the Premiere attendees (locations and dates to be announced, but I know http://www.bigtwincycles.com/ is a primary sponsor). It's usually about a month later that the DVD & Maps will then be available for sale on our website.
  14. nadredrum

nadredrum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Preview of the idbdr is up on YouTube and the backcountry discovery route website. Also looks like the release got pushed back a few months.
  15. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ijrjy6EjOkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The scenery and the experience looks great! I was a little bummed to hear that its the most tame of the routes though.
  16. nadredrum

nadredrum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably not a bad thing that it's pretty tame. I lived in Idaho for a while. I didn't get into the backcountry much but trust me even traveling main routes it very remote, ant the towns you come across are very small with very few facilities. If you got hurt in the backcountry it may take a while to get help, or worse yet if you are solo it maybe a long time till someone finds you. So making a very technical route, could be risky when riders may be 4 to 6 hours from medical help.
  17. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    If you want tough...try the "Tour of Idaho"...not big bike friendly, but same general south to north route.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ijrjy6EjOkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    Enough of the previews.....When?