Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    Which one is Ewan?
  2. nadredrum

nadredrum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So will the maps and dvd be available at the premiers? If so who wants to pick me one up, Boise in February isn't the easiest place to get to, 1800 miles of Winter between here and there.
  3. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Was planning on doing this in July. I too am a bit bummed about the route potentially not being challenging. I'll wait and see what the video holds.
  4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Like Wansfel said if you want something challenging do the "Tour of Idaho"... Those folks have created and excellent, challenging route.

Idaho now has a route for everyone. The "Tour of Idaho" for those that want a challenge and the BCDR for those of us who want a great ride without needing the riding capabilities of some one that is faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound . :D

Better yet, you can study the two routes and create your own route making it exactly what you want. :evil

Not being super challenging opens the route up to more riders on a variety of bikes. For some people just having the fuel range to be able to complete some of the sections might be a challenge. Others being out there so far from civilization might be a challenge. Recently I read a ride report by a guy riding in ID who appeared to be an excellent rider but the fact that internet access and cell phone range was lacking was a HUGE challenge for him.

Much of Idaho is remote, beautiful and worth taking the time to enjoy in what ever manner you choose. :clap
  5. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    LB brings up some excellent points. The IDBDR will be covering both the Magruder and the Lolo, both which have stretches of well over 50 miles travel to even get within cell range. As stated, gas logistics is important. There are stretches of 120 - 150 miles with NO possibility of gas supply. (And sometimes, the more remote fuel sources can have sketchy supplies).

And the general distances covered...1,250 miles for the IDBDR. The BOM 2015 last year covered a lot of the IDBDR stretches, especially for those of us that did the extended ride of 1,800 miles. The BOM, and I assume the IDBDR, have far less than 10% cell coverage and that is only when you hit slab connectors for gas/supplies.

How can I put this gently, even though the BOM and the IDBDR are designed to be big bike friendly, that is not to say they will not be a challenge. And not just road conditions. On most group destinations rides, when the rider count gets up there, they break down into smaller groups of hopefully compatible riders. This includes skill levels as well as plain old compatibility.

Sadly, I've seen riders attend that had no real background in a ride of this caliber. They didn't know how to pack let alone how to ride back roads. In the end, even though their co-riders provided monumental mentoring, in the end they almost destroyed the ride for those very co-riders. That can get really old, so please accurately asses your abilities with the above in mind.

When we post of these destination rides as "self-sustained", we mean that in the strictest sense. You will never see more co-rider support for occasional accidents, lay downs, equipment failures, flat tires, etc. But, if those delays are due to lack of prep and personal capability, then it starts getting really old. Please make sure you are comfortable with the full package, loading, riding loaded, camping, cooking, and "accidents" so you do not become a burden on someone else's "dream trip" turning into their (and your) "nightmare trip". Not to say you shouldn't push your envelope, that is a major part of why we ride. Just do these big rides responsibly.

Boy do I wish it was riding season again. I'm getting grumpy.
  6. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I just watched the video posted above. I see the Secesh Stage Stop is open? It must have just opened back up in 2014? I was by there in 2013 and it was still closed and up for sale. Do they have gas for sale?

EDIT: Google answered some of my questions, but if anyone has first hand knowledge please share.
  7. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    sounds like a great route, and bigger bike friendly for a refreshing change.

hmm, now just need to work out some nice loops. The combo of combining sections of bigdogs mexcan, T2 and IDBDR looks like a natural fit.
  8. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    Their FB page and website say they have gas . . .
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    IDBDR at press today :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JackBurns40 likes this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The DVD & map premieres are in early Feb. I don't have any dates yet.
    Attendees can purchase there. Sometime in March the map and dvd will be available on our website. Sometime along the way the free .gpx file is posted, usually just before the 1st premiere.

We did it this same way every year for each new BDR.
    New Mexico is up next.
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for the update. I'm excited to get my copy. :clap
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Excellent post & insight!

The goal with any BDR is remote, dirt & big bike (loaded with gear) friendly.
    The route chosen accomplished these goals & very well at that.

Idaho is blessed with ALOT of VERY long dirt corridors. Some of the longest in the country.
    This BDR is more about the mental challenge & proper long distance bike prep than any other. Sure the roads might be smoother, but you can be in a world of pain if you have problems out there and you are not prepared.

Seems in the west the farther north you go the more the moisture, the more the weathering of rock, the smoother the terrain. Wanna get your ass kicked on a BDR? Go ride the AZBDR and report back. It's rugged down there!

Thanks for all the interest everyone.:clap

13. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants more difficult rough rocky terrain, I can give you some extra credit 2 track just north of Jarbidge to tackle. :evil There are plenty of rocks in Idaho!

This is a good one! And getting here was no easy task either. :lol3

[​IMG]
  14. strykerpro

strykerpro Git R Dun

Oddometer:
    Im looking to join a small group on the IDBDR this year 2015. I live in the Puget Sound of Washington. I have done the WABDR once in its entirety and have good solid off road skills on forest roads and have done lots of Jeep trails on my machine. I have been riding off road all my life, around 42 years of riding experience. I have been riding big adventure bikes for around 10yrs. I would love to talk to a group or one other rider who would like to plan the IDBDR this year. I am 48 years old and ride a 2011 BMW R1200GS, super equiped for long hard off road.
  15. BGrider

BGrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YES the Secesh Stage Stop is up and running and YES they have fuel, great food and drinks. Kevin and Cheri Comstock bought the place last year, they're great people!
  16. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the "firsthand knowledge".
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    IDBDR Premiere - Seattle

Thursday, February 26 - 7:00pm

AMC Oak Tree 6
    10006 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, Washington 98133

Join us at AMC Oak Tree 6 on February 26th for an evening of film and adventure! Experience challenging riding on remote backcountry roads covering 1,250 miles through the state of Idaho.

Discover stunning mountain ranges, old west mining towns, isolated lookout towers, natural hot springs, rich history, and friendly people in the latest Backcountry Discovery Routes documentary highlighting the IDBDR!

The screening of the movie will be followed by a Q&A session with Backcountry Discovery Routes founders, board members, and members of the IDBDR scouting team.

When: Thursday, February 26th, 2015. Doors open at 7:00pm, movie at 7:30pm

Where: AMC Oak Tree 6 Theater - 10006 Aurora Ave N. Seattle, WA 98133

How Much: $10 for an advance ticket.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-EV-IDBDR/IDBDR-Seattle-Movie-Premier-Ticket

[​IMG]
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    IDBDR World Premiere - Boise

World Premiere of the IDBDR Movie Documentary, Boise ID
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Boise Center on the Grove
    The Summit Room
    850 West Front Street Boise, ID 83702

Doors open at 6:00 pm
    Movie at 7:00 pm
    Q&A with the IDBDR expedition team following the movie.

Advance tickets $10. Call (208) 336-0367 or visit www.bigtwincycles.com

This event is presented by Idaho Adventures in Living and Big Twin BMW.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    All Premiere dates:

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/News/IDBDR-Movie-Premiere-Tour-Dates-and-Locations

Current list w/ more to be added:
    Contact us or Touratech if your local dealership would like to host a premiere.

IDBDR Movie Premiere, Salt Lake City, UT
    Thursday, February 5, 2015

Brewviews Cinema Pub
    677 S 200 W, Salt Lake City, UT

Doors open at 6:30 pm
    Q&A with the IDBDR expedition members Rob Watt (Trailmaster Adventure Gear) and Justin Bradshaw (Butler Maps) at 8:15 pm

Advance tickets $8 (per person) or 2 for $12. Call (801) 618-2700, stop by the Parts Department at 339 W 9000 S, Sandy, UT, or visit www.harrisoneurosports.com

This event is presented by Harrison Eurosports.

---------------------

IDBDR Movie Premiere, Tigard, OR
    Friday, February 20, 2015

BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon (BMCWOR)
    12010 SW Garden Pl, Tigard, OR 97223

Doors open at 7:00 pm
    Movie at 7:30 pm

Call (503) 597-7097 or visit BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon

This event is presented by BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon.

-----------------------------

IDBDR Movie Premiere, Seattle, WA
    Thursday, February 26, 2015

AMC OAK Tree 6
    10006 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133

Q&A with the IDBDR expedition team following the movie.

Advance tickets $10. Call 1-800-491-2926 or visit www.touratech-usa.com.

This event is presented by Ride West BMW and Touratech-USA.

-------------------------------

IDBDR Movie Premiere, Metuchen, NJ
    Friday, February 27, 2015

Cross Country Cycle
    911 Middlesex Ave, Metuchen, NJ 08840

Free Admission. To RSVP Call (732) 635-0094 or visit www.CrossCountryCycle.net or https://www.eventbrite.com/e/idaho-backcountry-discovery-route-movie-premiere-tickets-15184689816

This event is presented by Cross Country Cycle.

------------------------------------

IDBDR Movie Premiere, Eugene, OR
    Friday, February 27, 2015

European Motorcycles of Western Oregon (EMCWOR)
    2891 W 11th Ave, Eugene, OR, 97402

Call (541) 338-0269 or visit European Motorcycles of Western Oregon

This event is presented by European Motorcycles of Western Oregon.

--------------------------

IDBDR Movie Premiere, Grand Junction, CO
    Thursday, March 12, 2015

Motorcycle Accessories
    2060 E Main St., Grand Junction, CO 81501

Call (970) 242-9495 or visit www.motorcycleaccessoriesgj.com

This event is presented by Motorcycle Accessories.
  20. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    So...when will there be a showing in the Spokane/North Idaho area?