Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:

If you have tracks, I would love them.
  2. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I would love to see your tracks if possible.
  3. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Unless you have a different bike than shows in your profile, I don't think you would be too happy if/when you made it down into the canyon and back up the other side. Or maybe you are a masochist. :nod
  4. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here you go. This is from the last day of my 2014 NV ride. I did this loop from Jarbidge on my unladen 2013 KTM 500 EXC. I had adjusted the sag back to single track settings.

[​IMG]

I had planned for us to ride the Blue Route. Our tracks are the Brown line. I had enough of the rocks after our visit (and hike down) to the Arch so I cut off a bunch of the loop in the middle. The drop down into the canyon shown in the picture I posted previously is at the very north end of the loop. It is called Indian Hot Springs. The western side is extremely rocky and rough. I would not be too excited to climb it. It was a puckering decent. The eastern side is not so bad but is still rocky and tough. Indian Hot Springs is a launch or haul out location along the Jarbidge River so vehicles hauling rafts on trailers are able to make it down that side. I don't think many 4 wheel vehicles travel up (or down) the western grade. I made a navigational error on the return to Jarbidge so we ended up off the route for a while. To be honest, I was very tired by then and did not mind riding some gravel roads without rocks. This loop is a bitch and is not really something you would want to do on a big bike. I was surprised to read someone's comments about Idaho not being rocky as that has not been my experience. It seemed like every mile off road was littered with many many rocks to me.

If you want a better description, have a look at my 2014 Jarbidge Ride Reportand skip to the last day. And watch Scott's video of the last day.

This is the top of the western drop.

[​IMG]

This gives you a pretty good idea of how nasty it is.

[​IMG]

The tracks are in the attachment (hopefully?!!?). Enjoy. :lol3 Send pictures! :evil

Attached Files:

5. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    YUP, What he said.
  6. gameyogi

gameyogi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks a lot like the T2 (tour of Idaho). I did the T1 last summer (well, most of it) and it was great fun, Idaho is a great place to ride, if a bit hot in the middle of the summer.
  7. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Looks like big bike territory to me, lots of fun to be had:evil
  8. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    See ya out there this spring. :jump
  9. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TfLcC1o85bo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plan it up
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Nothing yet. Sorry.

Got a local dealer that be interested in hosting a DVD premiere?
    The price has been dropped to $250 (from $500) and it's a great way for a dealership to get people in the door during the winter season.

info:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25649729&postcount=1119
  11. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    That looks great. Thank you! Photos never fully show the nastiness of the terrain nor the steepness of the grade. Nonetheless, nothing in the photos tells me "absolutely not" given the other stuff we have ridden. I'll come up to this track and make a game time decision.

I really appreciate the generosity.
  12. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you watch this video of that day? The decent to Indian Hot Springs starts at 7:39. It was a long rocky day!

<IFRAME height=720 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CPOBGaKllF4?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=960 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  13. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    holly crap that looks just like Bruneau canyon crossing....I think I road thru that area 3 years ago and clearly recall a very rocky hill climb after the crossing the river on an old bridge, neat hot springs at the bottom didn't stop, perhaps called indian HS? We were on our way over to Owhee so direction of travel would have been reversed from your cool vid. I didn't take too many pictures, too busy holding on. got to love Idaho :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other side of rim
    [​IMG]
  14. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is it. Same place. Your bike is parked where Bill is standing in one of my pics. Looks like there has been some erosion in the last few years. Your second picture looks like how I remember most of the western decent into the canyon. Kudos to you for climbing that nasty grade! :clap

I really doubt this is part of the soon to be released IDBDR so we should probably quit talking about it. The loop I posted is just a rocky side trip for people who don't think there are enough rocks in Idaho.
  15. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't gone through the entire thread to see if it's been covered, but the route is up on the BDR website now. Just looking it over, the northern part covers a lot of familiar territory. Like the section just north of Clark Fork, Char Falls and Lunch Peak are both nice stops. I though they might connect through upper Pack River road, looks like we bypass that on '95. Should be epic.
  16. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Yes I watched that. Very very cool. I know this section would be a stretch for us but that is part of the fun. However, it looks like the biggest issue is the location. I'm not sure we are going to start the IDBDR at the southern most tip of the route where this appears to be.
  17. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Alright, Just looked the route over and I must say... indeed a bike bike friendly route! Perfect for those who want a scenic adventure without complete white-knuckle riding. there are many routes paralleling that would give those seeking more white-knuckle preferences close by! I and or Mastermarine could provide a more challenging lighter bike route, but this is an excellent ride to just take it in! Looks like a good one for me to break in my new hip, with fishing pole.

Good Job Guys.:clap

See you at the premiere..
  18. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I'm so thankful for this offer. You and Mastermarine are a God send for myself and 6 other buds who ride on July 8. I'll be in touch after I fully digest the tracks, map and video.
  19. 81husky

81husky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having glanced over the route, I'm pleased that it omits some of my favorite Idaho places, and includes some that I don't care to revisit.
  20. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw this on their web site:

I'm hoping members/donors get theirs a bit sooner. I'm going to download the tracks and start playing with camp spots over the weekend. Plan a couple slight deviations-one night camping at Whisky Rock on Lake Pend Orielle, and crossing the Dworshak Res at Dent Bridge rather than Grandad...just 'cause it's a cooler bridge.