Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bluemtnridr

bluemtnridr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a blt in Warren one of the best i've ever had
  2. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really good food at the Baumshelter in Warren, we've had great lunches and dinners, never been there for breakfast.

The corner Bar/Restaurant in Yellowpine has great food as well. They are not usually open for breakfast, but the last time we were in YP for dinner, they then opened up for our 5-rider group and made a wonderful family style breakfast. Nice people.
  3. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    A little diversion for these times....

Part 2 is nearly finished.

4. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    So many good memories. After shattering my shoulder this summer in a get-off on my KTM 300, I'm hoping to ride a bunch of this in my RZR this year. I have already laid out go-around tracks for pavement sections that aren't legal for the SxS. All this of course Covid-19 permitting. Jay
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  5. GlobeTrotter

GlobeTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hoping to complete the IDBDR this year, Covid-19 permitting of course. The plan is a South to North route, rent a U-haul or some other type of truck to carry two KTM 690's down to the ID/NV border from Seattle area. Would like to drop off rental truck as close to Jarbidge, NV as possible so we don't waste the new knobbies on pavement. Anyone have any suggestions on good truck rental company that has a drop off somewhere around Jarbidge? TIA! Charlie
  6. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    You can check on the U-Haul site to find out the closest towns with rental locations. The bad news is that the closest location is probably 80 miles from there.

I haven't ridden much of the route between Jarbidge and Glenns Ferry, but I understand it to be rather flat and boring. I would seriously consider starting closer to Glenns Ferry where it starts to get interesting.
    Bigger Al and Solo Moto like this.
  7. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might check Elko. It is the only big town around. It is a great ride to Jabidge and until you get to the desert.
  8. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check on renting a pickup truck from one of the rental companies. We did this for a Big Bend trip last month, that was ~2700 miles r/t. Did not want to put hard fast highway miles on our trucks, so we rented a p/u and loaded two bikes in the back. ~$325 for a week. And it got better mileage than my thirsty Tundra. Just a thought. And if you're worried about knobby wear, just run a 50/50 like a Mitas E07 or similar moderate compound. Terrain isn't that aggressive, and there is a couple long macadam connectors, which I'm sure you already know.
    GlobeTrotter and pratered like this.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just ride those 690's over from Seattle, you're almost there anyway. And then the ride from Porthill back to Jarbridge area is almost as far as from there to Seattle, maybe farther.
    The 690 is an excellent highway bike, just as @worncog said, mount some 50-50 tires, there is nothing on the IDBDR that calls for a knobby tire anyway.
    Last summer I rode my 690 up from the Oklahoma City area and rode the IDBDR then home again. Pretty nice ride, got home just in time for my 76th birthday.

Smug Mug ride report of sorts here.
  10. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Doing the same in July on a 690. Will ride from Central Oregon to Jarbidge then back after hitting the Canadian border. I'm taking two extra days before and after to get to Jarbidge and get home. Dirt route from CO to Jarbidge will be fairly easy to find, not so much coming back from Canada. As someone else suggested, I'd ride straight out of Seattle and back. Make it a longer adventure!
    Apple Jam likes this.
  11. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also riding the IDBDR this summer and I live in Redmond, WA. It’s 712 miles to the start so a solid two days of riding to get there. It’s 406 to get home via highway but I am planning on riding from Porthill to Priest Lake and riding the NW Passage route backwards to get a lot of dirt for the return trip. Then the longest paved section home is Stevens Pass to home. I am planning on running a new set of Shinko 804/805 tires for this trip. They will last easily even with the long pavement trip to the start.
    GlobeTrotter likes this.
  12. GlobeTrotter

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Turns out the U-Haul/Budget route is way too expensive. I'm going to look into a pickup truck from one of the rental car agencies.
  13. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    I’ve found most rental companies don’t do one way on their pickup trucks....

penske box Van
    petew likes this.
  14. GlobeTrotter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pictures, thank you for sharing!
  15. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Another Eight Days
    Part 2..

Enjoy... stay safe my friends.

16. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Well done, GrizzLee
    GrizzLee likes this.
  17. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ladies at the Baumshelter in Warren did exactly that for our group of three in 2016,...even after we closed that bar the night before. We tipped them ridiculously well. It was a perfect way to start that day :nod
    Ladybug likes this.
  18. BenzADV59

BenzADV59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Grizzle, Great job of filming and editing. I Really enjoyed both clips. A couple of buddies and myself are hoping to do this BDR north to south this summer -fingers crossed that it will be possible.
    Thanks for the great preview of what we hope to see.
    GrizzLee likes this.
  19. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Oh, you are so welcome. I make these for my own memories. Glad to share.

By safe out there.
    Ladybug likes this.
  20. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video ride report, it brought a lot of memories back from when I rode it with my son a couple of years ago. Nice distraction from all the craziness going on. Stay healthy.
    GrizzLee likes this.