1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My map and DVD showed up yesterday:clap Must be because I'm a BDR Bronze level supporter
    Let the planning begin.
  2. nadredrum

nadredrum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Supporter here too
  3. bugg77

bugg77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bronze supporter here too. For mine on Friday and watched it last night. I'm definitely doing COBDR and probably UTBDR first but IDBDR is in the top three to hit over the next few years.
  4. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bronze supporter here too; thanks for getting these out. The ride looks positively epic! Really looking forward to this summer! You did a great job on the video.

I'm surprised about something-that the grader operator didn't let the guys pass on Magruder. Most of the time road maintenance guys aren't dicks in the backcountry. I've got to spend more time studying the maps-I'm looking to compress this into 7 days rather than 8, just to allow travel time on each end. Might be a bit too aggressive to keep the trip enjoyable though.
  5. cbmma1969

cbmma1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a rude surprise. I was in Thursday at noon and found out that they'd sold the last few that morning....:cry
  6. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    The total IDBDR is about 1300 miles IIRC. In 5 days, that works out to 260 miles a day. Can you do it in 5 days (or 4)? Yes....but I don't think it would be much fun. Stopping, enjoying the sites, a warm meal, a swim in a hot springs, checking out some historical sites, is IMO, as much a part of the adventure riding experience as the riding is. The other part-while none of the route is overly technical (from what the BDR guys say and from what I've ridden), there are still LOTS of twists and turns, loose rocks, and near-vertical drops of 100 ft or more off the edges of most of these roads. While not overly hard, literally one mistake can in MANY places be fatal due to the dropoffs. Not to mention trees. Trying to ride too long and too hard for too many days increases the chance of a screw-up. I'd personally recommend taking some extra time and enjoy the trip. On similar trips, I have found 160-180 miles a day is nice, enough riding to be fun, but it gives time to enjoy the trip.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ah. Thanks guys!
    Enjoy.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that. The past Premieres have only sold 3/4 full at best, but the word is getting out about the BDR project.

If I hear any other showing info, I'll pass it along asap.
  9. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    Thanks IR. I have a self imposed limit of 7 nights when I abandon all family responsibities for some "me" time. Not sure I can do the IDBDR and make it home to San Jose in that time. I did the southern 2/3 of the UTBDR in 2013, so maybe a shorterned version of this ride is in order. Any insights as to where the "best" of the route would be? Should I cut out some of the north or some of the south?
    FP
  10. nadredrum

nadredrum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of starting at the Canadian border, and riding south till I run out of time. From the video it looks like the best riding, atleast in my opinion, is in the top half of the route. I've got 2 iron but rides back to back to the start and then back home if I even want to try and ride the route. It's almost exactly 2k miles to the northern tip of this route from my door step, and slightly more to the southern starting point. If I did start from the south, I would skip section 1, mostly flat desert and gravel roads. The lolo and Magruder sections both warrant a day each, 1 more to get to the Canadian border. Any way off to study the map now that the kids are at school.
  11. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I just got spam from "Backcountry Discovery Routes" covering "IDBDR Release // Moab Desert Ride // BDR Memberships." How did they manage to get my e-mail? I always look at the bottom for the "You are receiving this e-mail because....." at the bottom and I found this:

"You are receiving this email because you have purchased or expressed interest in BDR products and services, opted in at our website or Facebook page, or you are an active member of the adventure motorcycling community."

The only thing that applies to me is the last part: " you are an active member of the adventure motorcycling community." Which amounts to spending too much time on ADVrider. So is ADVrider selling my e-mail address?
  12. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Got my ticket for the Tigard showing!

Curious how early is too early to avoid snow closures on McGruder and Lolo?
  13. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    I've seen snow banks in shaded spots in August on Magruder.
  14. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Usually AFTER July 1, but monitor the conditions. Even after the snow dissipates, there can be downed trees, washouts. Best to contact the local USFS offices regardless of the date to be sure the routes are opened. Closures have been often in the past due to fires and mud slides. Especially the Magruder with no bailouts and 125 miles between gas. You don't want to turn back after your point of no return.

I soloed the pair last October and I did hit some snow on the Magruder, but they had been closed earlier due to snow for awhile.

Lolo Motorway
    Lochsa/Powell Ranger District (Kooskia Office)
    502 Lowry Street
    Kooskia, ID 83539
    208-926-4274
    FAX: 208-926-6450
    Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Pacific Time) Monday-Friday

Magruder
    Red River Ranger District/Elk City Ranger Station
    300 American River Road
    Elk City, ID 83525
    208-842-2245
    FAX:208-842-2150
    Office hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Pacific Time), Monday - Friday
    5thgearpinned likes this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Big shout out to Big Twin Motorcycles in Boise for hosting the Backcountry Discovery Routes film premiere tonight. It's a sold out show with 370+ people so if you missed out in Boise make sure to check out a showing at your local dealership.

[​IMG]
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    ADV sure is not.

Somewhere along the way you supplied your email.
    There should be an unsubscribe at the bottom so please follow that to stop the emails. If you have any problems please PM me.
    thnx Bill

17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sold-out show for the IDBDR premiere tonight in Boise :clap
    Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. bugg77

bugg77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great crowd! I've already watched the DVD with my wife but I'd go see it if one of our local dealers hosted a showing.
  19. TripleDubYa

TripleDubYa Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
    Great movie and the crowd in Boise was electric. I just wish it would warm up so i can start riding.
  20. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    So thankful for the BDR guys. As a BDR member, I finally had the opportunity to watch the DVD with our group. We have done the UTBDR and COBDR twice. IDBDR was our plan for this summer.

It is probably the right call to make routes that are accessible in lack of difficulty to grow the sport. I applaud that goal.

However, for us, a route that seems to focus on cool towns with a relatively low challenge level means we will be doing something else this summer.

More power to the dudes who put these routes together.