Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. patrown

patrown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone local to the area around Wallowas know if Hess Road is clear? Just trying to do a little recon on a route out to start at the southern end in a few weeks.
  2. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it's clear, rode it and Kleinschmidt a couple weeks ago.
  3. AskTheDust

AskTheDust Two wheeler dirtbag?

Oddometer:
    Does anyone live near the southern terminus that would be willing to let us park our truck and trailer for our ride? We will be in the area tomorrow and plan to ride the whole BDR. We are really bad at planning our trips out. Thank you!
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    We rode from Lowman to Deadwood reservoir yesterday and lucked out on a lakeside spot. The reservoir was pretty camped out.
    We stopped in Yellow Pine today and ran into two other parties northbound. We couldn't get any good information on Elk Summit, so we all bypassed it. The local guys didn't think it would be passable due to trees. The Yellow Pine times hinted that bikes have gotten through, but the locals couldn't confirm it.
    In McCall eating lunch now and heading north.
    Lick Creek road was pretty entertaining until we got closer to Mccall, when Sunday traffic was pretty thick.
    We bypassed the creek crossing just north of Lowman, but after checking it out from the West side, it was pretty doable and only about axle deep.
    We'll camp somewhere North of Burgdorf tonight and hit Elk City tomorrow, Magruder on Tuesday.
  5. Willem Schutte

Willem Schutte n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Ladybug, my son and I are riding with Jay, who you were talking to earlier, and we are here to let you know that the Blue Cabin is all clear! We made it through on a side by side and two bikes. There is still a lot of moisture, so it’s a bit slippery, but we made it through with ease. I hope your trip goes smoothly!
    misterk and PNW Buttercup like this.
  6. PNW Buttercup

PNW Buttercup Dancing with dirt roads...

Oddometer:
    Well looks like we are a GO @Ladybug-- maybe the wind will dry it out a bit. @Willem Schutte thanks for the updated!
  7. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Wahoooooo! Thank you for taking the time to update us. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

I'm looking forward to this. :ricky
  8. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    Went back into town where there is
    WiFi. Just a little more detail. The drifts are still there but none of them require riding on snow. However the melting has made for a sloppy mess around each. Four or five more days should dry things. The south side of blue heaven is dry.
    Humunn and Ladybug like this.
  9. 20-MikeMike

20-MikeMike All Illusion, All The Time

Oddometer:
    Three of us rode Wallace to Blue Cabin yesterday after Jay did it. There are some deep mud holes and some mud over snow/ slush drifts. The 450 and 525 made it easy. The KTM 790 plowed some deep ruts in the soft goop. We met some riders going north and they reported the section with Elk Summit was closed by an avalanche. They thought it was going to take a dozer to open it. If I recall that was also what Brendan was thinking a few pages back
    Come on out and play!
    Brendan K, Ladybug and JMartin like this.
  10. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Any body take the UT - ID connector?
    Juice worth the squeeze or better to hardball to beginning of Idaho BDR to save time?
  11. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Today we went from Jeannette campground, just past Burgdorf, to Elk City. Jeanette was nice and quiet and mostly empty, except for the bazillions of mosquitos that live there. Head nets, deet, and a little fire made it a decent stay. A fisherman camped next to us turned us on to the Crystal Domes, which is an old quartz quarry, about two miles up a Jeep road above the campground. Really cool place to watch the sunset. Sporadic cell reception available up there as well. Excellent clean pit toilet at Jeannette too!
    The French Creek switchbacks were spectacular and the surface dry.
    Coming down onto the Salmon River and riding along toward the Manning bridge was just gorgeous. There are a couple of beach side campgrounds in that stretch right on the white sand beaches. It looked like there were a couple vacant sites and we made a mental note to try to camp there next time we do this.
    By far the best and most challenging riding since Lowman was the road leading into Florence cemetery. I think that's 643. It has an enormous amount of blow down that was just recently cleared, as evidenced by all the fresh saw dust. No mud and just a couple of puddles, but mostly first and second gear Jeep trail for about an hour. Really fun.
    Rolled the highway into Elk City along the river and not a single car for the whole 29 miles! Excellent burger at the Elk City Station and now hanging at the Riders Rest. Great place with showers and strong WiFi. Off over Magruder tomorrow.
    Side note, the 790 Adv R is proving to be a great bike for this route. I find it a little stiff in day to day riding, but with 50 lbs of bags and gear, it's just super balanced. I literally forget I have a load, even on the tricky stuff. A lighter bike might be nice in places, but then I'd have to pack carefully IMG_20200711_140552715_HDR.jpg IMG_20200711_170142960_HDR.jpg IMG_20200712_083948795_HDR.jpg IMG_20200712_121948461_HDR.jpg IMG_20200712_200326966_HDR.jpg IMG_20200712_200303814.jpg IMG_20200712_200109248_HDR.jpg IMG_20200713_094239290.jpg IMG_20200713_095814802_HDR.jpg IMG_20200713_124211289_HDR.jpg
  12. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Bring your warm sleeping bag. IMG_20200714_071940614.jpg
    BobcatSig, Brendan K, Harder1 and 8 others like this.
  13. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    After a cold and foggy night in Elk City, we blasted up the Magruder and over to Darby. The road is in good shape, but with a lot of runnels across the road from recent snow melt. There were a few other groups going over in both directions. A few miles west of the top, there was a KLR with a camo paint job siting on the side of the road in a rather precarious spot. I blasted by and assumed the rider was taking photos. Apparently the bike was there all night after the rider broke his leg on his hard panniers there day before. Best of luck and heal up quick if that was you and you're reading this
    There is a road crew installing culverts east of Observation Point and from there almost all the way down the road is freshly graded and butter smooth, albeit pretty slippery with deep dust in places. That graded road made for a pretty quick descent and we were in Darby after only about 5 hours, so after a nice lunch in Hamilton, we pressed on to Lochsa Lodge and got here in time for a beer on the back lawn before the sun dropped below the hills. Motorway tomorrow. IMG_20200714_105926196.jpg
  14. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    1.5 days to go time.
    Itching real bad to ride.
    Leaving Central O 430 pm tomorrow.
    Appreciate the updates!
  15. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the end of Sept. 21st - 28th to late to do this route? I know that Snow at the higher elevations is always a possibility, pretty much anytime other than July & August. I am trying to figure out if I do the end of August or wait and enjoy some fall colors.
  16. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem we have that late is fires, which I fear may be worse this year because of all the people taking to the wilderness to escape the home confinement.
  17. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man I didn't think about that. That would definitely put a damper on a good ride.
  18. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
    jdrice and utefan like this.
  19. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Link - thank you.
  20. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    After an excellent stay at the Lochsa Lodge, we rode Lolo motorway today. All the snow is gone off the road, and there's no mud. A few puddles here and there. Though this was our shortest milage day at about 90, it was by far the physically hardest. About 85 miles of pounding through the rocks was a really good workout, to say the least. A lot of southern exposure combined with low speeds made it feel hotter than it really was. We were all really glad we pounded out the highway miles after Magruder yesterday so we could start fresh on the Lolo this morning.
    Got a great cabin at the Outback in Pierce and headed for Wallace tomorrow, which will be the last day on the BDR before blasting back to get the van in Milton-Freewater. IMG_20200715_125608036_HDR.jpg IMG_20200715_112148410_HDR.jpg IMG_20200715_091952143.jpg IMG_20200714_201300252_HDR.jpg