Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    @JP4 really nice. I can almost "taste" that post. Heading out this afternoon. Adrenaline is flowing. Can't wait!
    NotAllWhoWanderRLost, Ladybug and JP4 like this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Enjoy your ride.

@PNW Buttercup and I will be heading out tomorrow but we are only doing from Pierce to the Canadian Border. If anyone sees us out there be sure to wave. If you come up behind us please don't use me for a speed bump, I'm slow. :lol3
  3. patrown

patrown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading out next weekend, likely approaching Yellow Pine on 26th/27th.. If Elk summit is still a no go.. detour to McCall and head up Warren Wagon road? trying to plan a detour to avoid pavement.
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    We did Lick Ck road to McCall and then Warren wagon road. Lick ck is actually very pretty and goes over a high alpine pass that is spectacular. Warren wagon road was easy and a quick way to get to the Burgdorf turnoff.
  5. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Pierce to Wallace today. Pretty easy section after Lolo and mostly fast riding. Looks very much like Oregon and Washington Cascades compared to the sections to the south.
    I know it's been mentioned before, but it bears repeating. Make sure you are all the way to the right on any blind turn for the first couple hours north of Pierce. Not just in your lane, but over on the off camber slippery shoulder, even if it means first gear crawling. Tons of log trucks hauling ass down the center of the road fully loaded. We were warned about them from a local in Pierce, but despite being as far over as possible, we had some pretty scary encounters. I grew up around logging, so I'm no stranger to log trucks, bit it's still disconcerting to be as far over as possible and still pass within a couple feet. I had two encounters on blind corners that would have been tragic had I not already been over in the weeds. Other riders having the same experience. Be as careful and conservative as possible. We were and we're still here to ride another day.
    The view from the Blue cabin area was really pretty and all the snow has melted off the road. Still about a dozen really short mud holes, but nothing super tricky or deep. Any bike could get through them.
    Got a nice room at the Ryan hotel in Wallace and had a drink with a crew from Vermont and Ohio doing a different tour of Idaho on smaller dirt bikes. Super good folks. Thanks for the drink guys!

IMG_20200716_124716816.jpg IMG_20200716_192015597_HDR.jpg IMG_20200716_190610635_HDR.jpg
  6. Brendan K

Brendan K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody know the current 7/16/2020 status of this? I plan to ride Section 8 Northbound from Trestle Creek to Canadian border tomorrow.
  7. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know this info straight from the BDR website is a few days old but I am confident it is still accurate :

July 9, 2020
    Section 8 Update

• Lunch Peak Lookout is closed as is the road leading up to it for maintenance.
    • Trestle Creek Road loop into Clark Fork is open.
      All roads are in good shape, including the expert section, except the Westside Rd. A bridge is washed out, and not passable by bike. It appears work to rebuild was started last season but not completed as there is contractor equipment in place but no recent activity. As a workaround, take Westside Rd. east on Riverside St. to Bonners Ferry. Then north on Highway 95 to the border. If doing the expert section to Westside Rd, turn south to Riverside Rd., then east to Bonners Ferry.
    Brendan K, kristin.m and NED RECK like this.
  8. Brendan K

Brendan K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I can verify the bridge is still out. I just went up that way and had a look.
    JP4 likes this.
  9. kristin.m

kristin.m n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to give a heads up- my husband and I rode up to Lunch Peak Lookout this morning. The gate was open, and there were a few other motorcyclists and cars up there as well. A little rocky, but nothing my Honda CB500X and his Weestrom couldn't handle.
  10. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread! We are at Crystal Crane hot springs now. Heading to Jarbidge tomorrow. Stoked!
    Apple Jam and JP4 like this.
  11. Full_Tilt

Full_Tilt Always go Full Tilt!

Oddometer:
    Just got back to Portland last night after riding the ID BDR with my other buddies; JP4 already wrote up a lot of great notes. I had to make a short detour to Grangeville after section 3 to stow a little trailer I was towing. The KipMoto trailer is really tough and awesome, but the mounting system that threads through the hollow axle needs a little more thought on the bushings. Mine wore out after section 2 and I was holding up my group with frequent adjustments.

The 790 has a recall out for the rear break due to overheating and I discovered that's actually a problem on the very steep decent of my Trinity Peak work-around (no longer needed due to snow melting off). I boiled the break fluid and had a mushy rear brake. I also snagged one of the many trees still poking out into the trail and bent my rear break pedal/lever - I think that was on the Lolo Motorway; watch out for these since some are at head level! One of the crew from Vermont had a tree go through his riding pant, but luckily missed his leg.

A HUGE thank you to Mike Gosselaar (yes, the famous Honda Race Team mechanic) in Grangeville, who stored my trailer and extra stuff while I finished sections 4-6. He also fixed my brake lever and bled the rear brakes AND lubed the chain. He's amazing and had all done in 20 minutes. Mike has three ATs for rent and wants to support BDR riders. If you are in Grangeville, stop by and see them. Oh yeah, if your bike gets stranded out there on Magruder or Lolo, they can fetch it for you - way cheaper than a tow truck and he can probably get you moving again.

Really, thank you so much, Mike. You made by BDR ride a success!

Gosselaar Power Sports
    (208) 451-5807
    Grangeville, ID

Super fun trip! Can't wait to do another ride with Jeff and Norm. Team 790!

IMG_1117.png
  12. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today i was enroute to join my riding partners around Lowman. They were on the route and had spent the night at Trinity lakes( mosquitos were bad and the campground was full )

After they crossed the middle fork of the Boise river the road has an incline . My riding partner on an Africa Twin hit a soft patch of dirt/ sand and layed the bike over breaking his ankle.

he was able to ride it out down to boise.

Be careful out there.
    Full_Tilt and JP4 like this.
  13. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your buddy. Glad he could get out ok. That's the second broken leg I know of on the IBDR this week after the other one on Magruder near the top. A member of another group we talked to had to be evacuated due to heat exhaustion.
    It's actually quite amazing to me that we can ride these routes mostly unscathed, especially considering most of us don't ride with a load, or for 6-9 hours a day for days on end very often. I was constantly telling myself to never put a foot down and just gas it or stop completely when in doubt. Lots of oh shit moments for me on the route this week, but the only time I dropped my bike was at the gas pump when I thought I had put the kickstand down. It's alright though, I didn't like those stock mirrors anyway
  14. NED RECK

NED RECK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any luck with gas in Lowman?
  15. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    Mystery solved. I was the guy who kept chatting with you all at Lochsa Lodge while you were loading up and breaking off mirrors. But then in your pics I saw a trailer so was second guessing myself about whether or not it was you (you had no trailer by then). Glad you made it through safely.
    Jay
    Full_Tilt and JP4 like this.
  16. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Ah, hey Jay! Nice talking to you at Lochsa. How'd your Razor drive over the Lolo go? Fortunately I didn't drop my bike at any more gas pumps
    Jeff
  17. Full_Tilt

Full_Tilt Always go Full Tilt!

Oddometer:
    The station in Lowman had a broken pump, but was being serviced last week. We went North on the main road for a few miles and found fuel.
    NED RECK likes this.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Just read my response to the fuel question and for some reason was thinking Yellow Pine instead of Lowman. Doh!
    NED RECK likes this.
  19. Meatn'taters

Meatn'taters Not any more Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm wheels up round 9 a.m. tomorrow morning, Monday July 20th, solo, from Windsor, CA to the IBDR. Will depart Jarbridge, NV Thursday, July 23. Hope to connect with many of you along the way. Travel safe.
    misterk, NED RECK and Ladybug like this.
  20. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Left Jarbidge this morning and had a great run across the desert. In Pine tonight. What a great ride so far. And we are just getting started!