Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    PANO_20200719_164713.vr.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    It just keeps getting better. . .

PNW Buttercup and I did about 250 miles over the weekend, section 6 and the first part of section 7. It was a blast.

We met 2 guys from Pennsylvania and @Chuck the ripper from Illinois out there. I didn't get the guys names from PA but I think one of them is following this thread. Even with riding on the weekend things were real quiet on the route. There are people camping everywhere though.

I'll post a few pics later today after I get through the ones I took.

We'll be going back to complete the rest of 7 and 8. We had so much fun.
    Humunn, Magile, JP4 and 2 others like this.
  3. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We met @chuck last night at Lochsa as he rolled in. Visited again at breakfast. Our group is going to blast south and run the bdr south to north. We hope to see a few folks on the trail.
    Ladybug likes this.
  4. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    Fine, thanks. The father and son on bikes with us (@Willem Schutte ) were tired so took the pavement for 20 miles and then met us up at Saddle Camp for the rest of the Lolo Motorway. One difference, of course, is finding lines. On a bike one can pick their way through some of the rubble. With two axles the smoother stuff is more elusive. But the fat tires and suspension still soak things up incredibly well.
    I also came to the realization that this wonderful experience is morphing. Six years ago it was all ride with 200+ mile back-to-back-to-back days. As I get older it is becoming more sightseeing. If there is a next year, I'm thinking to spend multiple nights in certain places such as Pierce and Avery.
    Jay
  5. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    And I was thinking you meant Warren. In Warren the tank is out back of the restaurant. In Yellow Pine the tank sits on the ground across from the bar that runs it.
    Jay
    NED RECK and JP4 like this.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    In Pierce, we briefly talked with two riders from PA. When we headed out for our ride two riders were starting the day just ahead of us. I think it was the two guys we talked with. I snapped a couple of shots of them as they were riding out of town.

I found @PABiker posted in this thread so this may be him and friend. Whoever we were talking with it was a pleasant chat.

10.JPG 11.JPG
    This was the last we saw of them. They were riding a bit faster than we were.
    12.JPG

Meeting @Chuck the ripper was a lot more fun for us than him. He had a pleasant personality and a good sense of humor. He had no problem with me taking pictures as soon as I pulled up. He had himself in a little bind but he had a plan and I have no doubt he would have been able to get out by himself but getting a little help made it easier for him.

He grabbed the wrong line as he was going through the mud slime and it through him and the bike into the ditch.
    50.JPG

The three of us got the bike out of the ditch and pulled it back so it was on flattish ground so he could ride it the rest of the way out. I'm sure him being able to flat-foot the bike helped.
    51.JPG
    He had his sleeping pad roll leaning of a rock with some branches to prevent the rock from popping a hole in the case of the bike if it fell over while he was trying to get it out by himself. He had a come a long with him which is what he was going to next but he didn't have to go that route since we came along.
    53.JPG
    I hope the guys from PA and Chuck have a great ride as they finish their IDBDR. It was a pleasure meeting all three.

This is about all of the snow left on the north side of the road to the Blue Heaven Cabin.
    54.JPG

The road on the S side of the Blue Heaven Cabin was mostly rock garden. Both @PNW Buttercup and I made it up them fine, it took a little work but we did it. The other side had slimy mud in places.

Here are a few pictures from our ride in Section 6 and a little bit of 7.

In Pierce we camped at Prospector's Paradice RV Park. It's a small quiet park with a manager who is very nice and helpful. They have a shower and only charged $15 for the two of us.
    1.JPG

Our start in Pierce.
    5.JPG

Took a quick break in an open area to snap a few pics.
    14.JPG

Headed for Grand Dad Bridge.
    25.JPG
    Enjoying the flowers along the way and there were flowers all over.
    45.JPG
    We weren't able to find camp around the Avery area the place was filled with RVs, Camp Trailers, and Tents in every forest service campground and in every wide spot near the river. We finally took a side road and found a wide spot next to the road to camp in. It was great. There was a creek and a lot of big cedars across the road. It was much better than a campground full of people.
    65.JPG

Camping in flowers was just perfect for me.
    66.JPG

The night before when we rolled into Avery we found the gas station closed and we had almost 200 miles on our tanks. We weren't going to be able to go very far before we really needed gas plus it was getting late. We wanted dinner but the Ice Cream shop that also has sandwiches was close. The bar and grill had run out of all their food but still had food. It was a good thing we had some "emergency" food with us.

If you are headed out on the BDR be prepared with food and able to camp in dispersed camping.

When we got to Avery the gas station was open and they had coffee and breakfast burritos. We filled our gas tanks, had coffee then went to Wallace for lunch.
    11.JPG
    From Avery north, there are a handful of tunnels to go through. When riding into the tunnels be aware sometimes deer will go into them to get out of the heat.
    14.JPG
    Trestles to ride over too. This section is an old railroad grade.
    17.JPG
    I had a bit of an issue going uphill with ruts. I hit a rut the bike bounce and started to tip but when I put my foot down to stop the tip there wasn't anything there and over I went.

@PNW Buttercup tried to go around me but another rut grabbed her tire and knocked her over too. The pic flattened out the hill and made the ruts look like flat ground. :lol3
    32.JPG

PNW Buttercup's bike is up.
    34.JPG
    Since her bike took a nap she wanted one too.
    35.JPG
    The Superbug:pynd is upright again and I'm resting too. I looked dead and like I lost a leg but I'm alive and that leg is there just tucked under my other leg. :lol3
    115829608_209038137136248_5102680300786208522_n.jpg
    PNW Buttercup didn't have any issues getting started and getting her bike out of the ruts.
    36.JPG
    I didn't do as well. When I tried to move ahead my back tire slid into the rut and over I went again. I was ready to give it up and go back down. PNW Buttercup suggested she ride my bike passed the ruts since she can touch ground on it a lot better than I can. She is flat-footed and with her knees bent a little while I have my legs fully stretch out and only my toes finding the ground. :baldy
    37.JPG
    She was able to get it passed the ruts with no issues.
    38.JPG
    Ahhhhhhh much better.
    42.JPG

I was having a few navigational issues and missed part of the trail but ended up near Prichard at the gas station. They have ice cream there so all was good.

At this point, we decided to head home and complete the rest of the BDR in another weekend or two.

I had a blast and looking forward to the next ride.
  7. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    At the Baum Shelter. Elk Pass was clear.
    IMG_20200721_123251.jpg IMG_20200721_104001.jpg
  8. andy727

andy727 n00b

Oddometer:
    We have a group of 5 from Dallas, TX, coming out to do the route, starting Aug 9. We planning to start at Glenns Ferry heading North. Hoping to make it all the way to the end. Are there any current conditions to be aware of?
  9. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eating breakfast at Cyndie's in Featherville. Looking forward to the progress north.

Love this place :)
    93mph, LSGiant and Ride Now like this.
  10. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    In Elk City this morning from Yellow Pine yesterday. 200 plus mile day. Nothing technical but long days in the saddle and heat are tiring. After Warren we stopped for an obligatory bus pic.

IMG_20200721_145135.jpg

And the switchbacks.

IMG_20200721_153130.jpg

On to the Magruder and Lochsa today!
  11. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Staying at the Sourdough Lodge tonight. We are a bit tired after all the slippery corners.....holy cow! We rode around the road closed sign and rode through the creek where the culvert was washed out. Headed for The Baum Shelter in Warren tomorrow.
    It was a great day!
    Apple Jam, Ladybug and 93mph like this.
  12. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    230 mile day today from Lochsa to Wallace. Long day. I think @JMartin has it right. More shorter days are better. Here are a few pics from the day. On to the border tomorrow!
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200723094519898_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20200723_104243.jpg
    IMG_20200723_104354.jpg
    IMG_20200723_101914.jpg
    IMG_20200723_163124.jpg
  13. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    What the heck is that on your head? Looks like an old Polaroid camera!!
    [​IMG]
    Humunn, TheAdmiral and JP4 like this.
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha. I did that once with a digital camera.
    HillbillyHelmetCam.png
    Lost Cartographer and Humunn like this.
  15. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed by your stamina! The only really long day we did was Elk City to Lochsa Lodge, mostly because Magruder was unexpectedly easy and quick due to the recent grading of the east side. We took two days to go Pierce to Wallace. We did meet several riders like you who would do really long days, but most weren't camping. I found 6-8 hours on the bike, including breaks, to be about right, depending on my ibuprofen dosage for the day
    misterk, Humunn and pratered like this.
  16. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sitting in Elk City tonight. We really had a great day running from Warren. The trails were in great shape. No trees down and a bit of moisture on the track. It looked like it rained pretty hard. We passed several groups of riders the last 2 days.
    LSGiant and 93mph like this.
  17. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kudos to all the folks who cleared all the down trees. Without you today's ride would not have been possible.
  18. ktmrider221

ktmrider221 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could this Friday go any slower? Heading out Sat am, slab to Riggins from central wa. then run the northern half of the idbdr, with my son,, come on Saturday am,, Hope I can sleep tonight D8101E37-1501-4EB7-8178-C20B3142BA87.jpeg
    misterk, pratered, Ride Now and 2 others like this.
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Last day on the IBDR we made it from Wallace to the border then doubled back to Bonners ferry for the night. What an outstanding adventure. Five of us earned our IBDR stickers!

Other than being fatigued the day was great for all of us. Started out with a flat on the 690 and then later one on one of the 1090s which required some ingenuity to reset the bead on wheel.

IMG-20200724-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200724-WA0001.jpg IMG_20200724_114811.jpg
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Big rain 2 days ago.
    Sign says road closed on the section south of Lowman/Banner ridge.
    It's rideable, right line.
    We are riding south.
    It's harder to cross northwards.

20200725_111325.jpg 20200725_112903.jpg 20200725_112802.jpg