Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. PNW Buttercup

PNW Buttercup Dancing with dirt roads...

Oddometer:
    More from IDBDR Section 6
    DSCF9613.jpg
    DSCF9609.jpg
    20200717_170447_HDR.jpg
    20200717_172344_HDR.jpg
    20200717_170440_HDR.jpg
  2. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    We were there the day before you!
    Sidenote: make sure you keep looking up and to the left when you're getting close to blue cabin if you don't have the POI on your GPX track (northbound). My buddy rode right on by it thinking he was behind everyone else. If you don't look up, you won't see it. Doh!
    Garmin Inreach mini tracking helped us find him later.
    Extra side note: if you follow the official IBDR GPX track from Avery to Wallace, you'll miss the turn at the trestle and only get 3 of the 7 tunnels. Took a while to figure that one out.
  3. PNW Buttercup

Oddometer:
  4. PNW Buttercup

Oddometer:
    DSCF9645.jpg
    Of course!
    DSCF9647.jpg
    St. Joe along Moon Pass
    DSCF9648.jpg
    DSCF9651.jpg
    Wallace... End of Section 6.
  5. boardforever

boardforever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Rally Raid kit on mine. My dad will be riding a KLR.
    PNW Buttercup likes this.
  6. PNW Buttercup

Oddometer:
    This was my second trip to blue heaven... However there is some beautiful cedars just before... Missed those this time except for the BIG one. Oldest cedar in ID, I think...
    JP4 likes this.
  7. 20-MikeMike

20-MikeMike All Illusion, All The Time

Oddometer:
    I just want to say thanks to all the riders who helped me plan our ride this summer. We had big fun! Shout out to Jay who sent some kewl gpx tracks our way. It was great to cross paths with you in Avery!
    Avery2020.JPG
  8. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Avery had a very nice B&B in the old schoolhouse. We stayed there last September.
    They let us do laundry and had locked storage for the bikes. Nice rooms and good food. Nice hosts.
    Ladybug likes this.
  9. Cycle_Path

Cycle_Path Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious of opinions. I have property in bayview ID that I will be having my house built on soon. Talking with someone that did the IDBDR today and he said that would be perfect location for an overnight spot to do laundry, take showers and sleep for cheap. Almost thinking of when I build add an extra little area in the basement thats separate just for this. Worth the extra $ to build something like this? I am guessing its only something that brings in some cash June through Sept only
    PNW Buttercup, STLR and Magile like this.
  10. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    LadyBug - Are you still on the trail? Enjoyed your photos.
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Hi @River-Runner, we returned home after Prichard, ID. PNW Buttercup's time is limited since she's not retired yet. We will be finishing up Prichard to Canada in Sept. on a weekend or two.
    Magile likes this.
  12. 4r22mny

4r22mny Old n' Slow

Oddometer:
    OK I know it's not specifically BDR related, but can someone tell me if the route over the hill from Selway Falls to Elk City (over Meadow Creek) is open. I know lots of folks talked about a big washout that had it closed at one time.

thanx

4r
  13. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    I think you're talking about Falls Point Rd so I don't think so, click the link and then select Selway River under Road Conditions:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nezperceclearwater/alerts-notices
  14. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    That was a nasty discovery as the evening grew on us late last September.
  15. dirtnsnow

dirtnsnow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    boardforever, JP4 and Ladybug like this.
  16. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    nope. Tried to go up this spring and the washout is nasty. Not even on a mule.
  17. Ben Nevills

Ben Nevills n00b

Oddometer:
    Thinking about trying the IDBDR in 2nd half of Sept I have never rode out west (done a bit of mountain biking & backpacking) how would this route be for a probably avg skilled rider on a Super Tenere and I normally run 70/30 Shinko 705 tires should I go with something more off road like at 50/50 tire? my first MC trip was the MABDR 2 years ago and absolutely loved it did not have any trouble with my bike or tires other than a few slick muddy sections but I am sure ID is probably more rugged. I want to do all the BDR routes and hope next year to have a more off road friendly bike (maybe Africa twin or Tenere 700) would you guys think it would be better to just go ride some decent back roads and wait till I had a bike that was a bit lighter and better off road for the BDR or would it still be good on the Super T? Again I ride a lot of backroads and gravel but not much off road/ dirt experience on a big bike. Thanks for any replies
  18. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally, most of the IDBDR is big bike friendly. Over half of it is good forest gravel road. The weather in Sept. is usually pretty good. The Lolo Motorway is being rebuilt in the worst place so that will be big bike friendly but may not be open in Sept. However, you can drop down to the Northfork of the Clearwater which is in my opinion a better ride anyway. There are a few sections that are a little bit rocky, like Magruder, but they aren't bad. One of the guys I rode it with had a 1000 Vstrom and had no problems. A lot of people ride it with a 1200GS. I would suggest you just go for it.
    RozzyCat and Magile like this.
  19. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran Shinko 804/805 set on my F800GSA and they were great both on and off pavement. They are my go to tire!
  20. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Ben, just did the IBDR sections 2-6 last month, with the exception of Elk Summit, which was closed.
    I think if you're confident riding your bike on all kinds of gravel roads and are comfortable crossing a few deep ruts, you'll be fine. The east side of Magruder has been recently graded and was butter smooth all the way down. The West side from Elk City up has a few rough sections, but nothing particularly technical if you don't ride up to Burnt knob. I thought the Lolo Motorway was much more demanding than Magruder, but that was mostly because it's pretty rough for hours and hours, so you can't let your gaurd down. On the west end there were plenty of axle deep rain ruts that while easy to avoid, would be pretty ugly to drop into. As always, go slow, take your time and stop when you get tired or aren't sure of the line. There was only one area of steep loose shale on Lolo where you probably would get stuck if you stopped. That might be the part they are fixing now, I don't know, but it was only a few hundred yards if I remember correctly.
    fontanaman likes this.