1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. 93mph

93mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just finished the IDBDR in July on a 2014 R12gsa and one of the guys in my group was on a SuperT. The SuperT did great. He had a new set of TKC80’s. I would recommend as aggressive a tire as you can find. IMO something in the neighborhood of the TKC80 or Mitas E-10 is ideal. It just makes the route that much more enjoyable/doable. Especially if you hit any adverse conditions like rain, etc.

The majority of the route is gravel but there are sections of loose shale, sand, ruts, rocks, so you can never let your guard down. Complacency is the biggest danger on this route. A good tire gives you that extra buffer of traction IMO.

Best of luck, you’ll have a blast!
    EB1156, STRich, HBL and 4 others like this.
  2. Ben Nevills

Ben Nevills n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your input, I am thinking it should not be to bad if I just give myself enough time so I am not pushing it too hard
    JP4 and pratered like this.
  3. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode it solo on my 14 Super Tenere the third week of September 2018 and had a great ride. Lolo was the only place I had issues, but that was a blown shock from riding most of the rock and narrow sections non-stop at moderate speed and not giving the suspension a break. That was self induced and easily fixed with an Ohlins transplant. The rocks/gravel on the Macgruder were not too bad either, they just required a little more attention.

The thing that would occasionally wander into my mind was the comment during the BDR video, "...it just keeps coming at you.". He was referencing to the long days.

I ran Mitas E-10 and E-07 Dakar versions F&R. My typical BDR tire setup, but eyeing those Bridgestone AX41's.
    JP4 likes this.
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I concur with the long days. For a lot of us that don't ride long days on a regular basis, it's pretty fatiguing to jump on the bike and crank out 8-10 hour days on a loaded bike, day after day. It takes a lot of discipline to stay well within your limits and know when it's time to stop and take a break. Harder still in a group to keep everyone within their limits. The riding isn't too tough, but staying vigilant when the fatigue sets in is a challenge. That's all part of the adventure though I guess.
    Thumbs up on the AX41's on my 790. I put on a fresh set for the IBDR and they were great. Pretty sticky and butter smooth on the highway sections. They don't last long, but that's ok with me. They ride well, are easy to mount, and cheap.
    JMartin likes this.
  5. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pulled the pin and ordered a set of AX41's for a COBDR run next month. You say they don't last long, what is 'not long' for you?

I agree with your long days assessment. I came from the LD side of the house and did some competitive rallying before I started riding ADV stuff, so an 12+ hour day in the saddle is kinda normal. I did get a great quote from my riding buddy after a 200+ day on the NMBDR(which may be 205 here), "A thousand mile day on the slab ain't shit compared to two hundred miles of this."

Day after day wrestling a big bike does develop a level of residual fatigue.
    JP4 likes this.
  6. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Worncog, my AX41's have 2k miles on them now. I'm guessing they'll go another 1k before they're pretty shot. The front is wearing pretty fast as well, so I'll probably replace them as a pair. I'll just keep burning them down until it starts raining again here in October. Another set should last through the spring for me.
    For comparison, my buddy I was riding with, also on a 790 R, started the IBDR with fresh TKC80's. Those start with more tread than the AX41, but he had less tread left when we were done. We were running similar pressures with similar loads.
    worncog likes this.
  7. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    I've been a TKC guy (05 1200 GS) from the start. The first half of the tread goes much faster than the second half. I get about 2500 to 3000 miles on a rear, 50% more on a front. I try to ride 80% dirt as the pavement really eats 'em up - especially if you can't keep it below 65mph. I've seen longer life on the tires that only see dirt. YMMV

CK
    JP4 likes this.
  8. E.WA rider

E.WA rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    My cousins in a group of 5 on GS's I believe doing the BDR. This gal hit a deer doing 60ish and walked away! Sore shoulder and no road rash with KLIM gear. Lucky skunk!!! Looks like bike took a lick though. Happened on SR 473. Havent heard if conditions are smokey etc. 83634CA7-BBF4-40AA-BE0C-9DB7B6207F88.jpeg 41EF696B-494D-4A7B-BDED-07939CB8D538.jpeg 942F1597-716C-441D-B7B7-B0469A5F4E07.jpeg 1861B1AA-B255-49EC-8D91-CE530398CEFC.jpeg
  10. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! She laid a lot of rubber down before she hit it. Klim gear is worth the money if you like your skin.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  11. OldTomRides

OldTomRides Still on two wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me and two other buddies are going to run the IDBDR from Mountain Home heading north in about a week and a half. Curious if anyone has any road closures they experienced. BDR site doesn't have anything since July 9th.

Also any information on fuel availability that used to be there and isn't. I thought I saw that Burgdorf doesn't have their bladder filled. Is that still the case?

I guess anything useful in the way of basic info that you'd want to be aware of if you were riding it again - I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!!
  12. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just back from riding it north/south. Burgdorf is closed. No road closures or issues with gas, but we had to stretch from Elk City to Yellow pine. There is a cafe toward the southern end of that route that has gas.
    Colorado Uli and OldTomRides like this.
  13. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    Check with the Secesh Stage Stop, they are between Warren and Burgdorf and had gas last year when I went through when Burgdorf was out.
    OldTomRides likes this.
  14. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get gas at the Baum Shelter in Warren, we were there in July.
    Burgdorf will be closed all this season according to the locals.

Colorado Uli and OldTomRides like this.
  15. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did section 4 last Wednesday-Thursday and there was signage indicating we were traveling into an area with fire activity but never saw anything or had any impacts to our route. The thunderstorms were pretty epic last week.
    OldTomRides and Magile like this.
  16. E.WA rider

E.WA rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We ran sections 4&5 over the weekend, in reverse-started in Walla Walla on Friday afternoon camped at Lolo creek campground then upto pierce for a cup of coffee before running Lolo motorway, stopped for lunch at lochsa lodge down to Darby and camped out just before Magruder crossing campground. Sunday finished up Magruder got lunch in Grangeville and back to Walla Walla. A little over 800 miles this weekend, couldn’t have asked for better weather.
  17. OldTomRides

OldTomRides Still on two wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    What were the temperatures like when you guys camped (Mad Matt and E.WA rider)? Summer-warm, fairly cool, etc. Like what temperature sleeping bags were you using?
  18. E.WA rider

E.WA rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was in the low 40’s for me. I sleep warm and used a 30 degree bag and woke up sweaty both nights-which is not unusual for me. I did ride in 36 degree weather in the morning up on the ridges around the massacre sign, but it was sunny so it actually felt good.
    Timmer and OldTomRides like this.
  19. chromex

chromex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on doing section 5 in reverse early next week on my way to Yellowstone from Eastern Washington. How common are bear issues camping on the trail? I have bear spray in my kit but I'm apprehensive about needing it as an asthmatic. I've read up on how to try to avoid them coming to camp, but so much of the literature is focused on hikers that it has felt hard to judge the risk.
  20. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Warren has gas and is open. I heard burgdorf is closed
    thirsty 1 likes this.