Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bears in Idaho (from lewiston south at least) have manners and stay away from people. The bears with out manners are no more.
    chromex and Magile like this.
  2. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Warren has got to be one of the coolest places on that tour for sure. Burger and beers, oh yah. Then camping on the river an hour away. Bears, absolutely no worries. Sleep peacefully and have no concerns about them. IDBDR is the best.
    Magile and GrizzLee like this.
  3. OldTomRides

OldTomRides Still on two wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    How was the Clear Creek crossing (prior to Deadwood Reservoir) for those that went through them in the last couple weeks? Pictures??
  4. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Post 1763 has one of our group crossing. Line choice was important as it looked pretty deep further to our right. (black water) The ride leading to that from the south was one of my most memorable of our trip. I would imagine unless there have been torrential rains in the area, the water should be same or lower. We had 690s, a GSA and a Super T in our group.
    OldTomRides likes this.
  5. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me the approximate distance and time running South to North from Glenn's Ferry to Pine?
  6. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Roughly 64 miles and two and a half hours.

Map link.
    utefan likes this.
  7. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!!!
  8. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ???? Is there another way that isn't all paved and 70 mph?

Edit. Thought of 2 other ways. Both early turn outs off the highway. One crossed the Boise river about 15 miles below anderson ranch dam. The other crosses anderson ranch dam. Either of those two paths I'd skip pine and go over the top of the trinities and on over towards atlanta. I guess if you rode around the shore of anderson ranch dam it would be 2.5 hours. To me the road around that reservoir is dry, dusty, and boring compared to trinity lookout
  9. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not familiar enough with the route to know were you are talking about. However, when I look at the Map link scottrnelson provided it appears to be the BDR route, not "paved and 70 mph". And from what I can tell Trinity lookout is well north of Pine. I am riding South to North from Glenn's Ferry to Pine, actually I am riding from SLC to Pine, skipping section 1 of the BDR route, was just considering jumping on at Glenn's Ferry up to Pine. Then starting from Pine the next day.
  10. AndreasS

AndreasS n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking here as I too am planning on hitting the IDBDR from Salt Lake this week on my F650 Dakar. I was thinking of heading north from Bliss through Hill City and going around the east side of Anderson Ranch reservoir just to get off the interstate faster. My final destination is Seattle and I will hit section 1 on my return trip.

Can anyone comment on whether wildfires in Idaho are affecting the IDBDR? In particular the Shissler fire looks like it's getting pretty damn close to the Magruder.
  11. johnperry

johnperry n00b

Oddometer:
    I rode the Magruder and part of the Lolo Motorway over Labor Day weekend. Went over the Magruder on Sunday. There were signs up saying there were fires present in the area, but the corridor wasn't closed. The smoke obscured most of the views - still a good ride, however.

Stayed the night in Stevensville and headed for the Lolo Motorway on Monday. As it turned out, I really had no business being up there - high winds from the Labor Day storm were bringing down branches and trees right and left, and there was hail above 6000 feet - I had to turn back because of a large tree over the road, and headed down to highway 12 at the Gravey Creek access point. Glad to see the pavement. Headed back down 12 to Kamiah and Orofino, only to find Hwy 12 closed just east of Orofino because of wildfires along the road. I didn't know at the time of the monumental fires that were burning all over eastern Washington and northern Oregon.

Had to head south and detour back to Lewiston, where I spent the night. The trip back to Seattle on Tuesday was sobering - dodging the worst of the fires, and smoky all the way.
    Hard to say how long it will take for the windfalls to be cleared away on Lolo - it may be awhile before the fires are under control as well. More high temps and dry conditions forecast for the next week.
  12. AndreasS

AndreasS n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a scary time out there, johnperry! We had serious winds here in SLC and had a lot of damage. I was concerned about deadfall on the route as well, so that is good information. Looking at the weather forecast, it wasn't supposed to be as bad in Idaho as the 90+ MPH gusts we had here, but I suspected the winds would both knock trees down and fan any fires. Maybe I should push my ride out a week or two. I didn't even expect the ride from Wallace to Seattle to have fire issues but these are strange times. I'll be curious to find out if the entire route was affected by the winds and fallen trees.
  13. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just finished the north half from Lolo Motorway today. Started Sunday. Lolo was a little smoky but not bad. I was at/going over Black Dome Peak in the Blue Cabin when things went crazy. My riding partner dodged a 12” tree falling at him. He gassed out of it through the limbs of the tree about 2 miles from the summit. All I heard was a POW tree braking in half and then we stopped and I found out about it. Scary all the way up there with this going on. Hail at the summit.

Tuesday was epic from Wallace to Clark Fork. Absolutely bright blue sky’s and a we saw a fire at the end of Pend Oreille lake start. Compass said it was west so we kept going north. We set up camp in East Hope only to find out everything that’s going on. !!!
    Holy Hell!

Went up to Roman Nose the hard way on a packed 1190r and a gs800.

Roman Nose was Bee You Tee Full!!! Some pics. I’m camped at Newport now. Going up into the NW Passage tomorrow.

Service is slow. One pic at a time
  14. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    Roman Nose today noon

7DE96D27-35A5-49D5-8F72-B1729889D331.jpeg
  15. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    Oh Canada!
    1CC7F55A-1B53-4B11-9C91-AB62C792866C.jpeg
  16. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    blue cabin the day of the wind storm. crazy day!

E768FFA0-2FB3-431B-B227-ECAB7EE7B968.jpeg
    Ride Now and JP4 like this.
  17. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    Grassy Point/mountain
    D1D4537B-7BFD-4DD4-BC84-6B0656023276.jpeg
  18. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    F5B2B998-ADB4-42E4-8960-839EFEB0B21A.jpeg
  19. thirsty 1

Oddometer:
    I’m headed back south to lolo on Thursday to start south. What’s going on with fires south of lolo???

??? ?? ?
  20. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer: