1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Summer pic for reference?

very cool!!
  2. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    GotFog likes this.
  3. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200728_095014.jpg
    STRich, thirsty 1, outbacktm and 6 others like this.
  4. jbhowat

jbhowat n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is the snowpack looking this year, are we thinking it will be an earlier or later opening?
  5. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I would guess about the same as last year. We got a lot of late snow in the hills.
  6. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    We went through snow drifts on the Pierce to Avery (Blue Cabin) section on July 12th last year. A week earlier might have been tough sledding. We are planning to go over on July 19th this year.
    Jay
    STRich and wingtraveler like this.
  7. doublegobble

doublegobble gnat dodger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plans to ride the IDBDR in July or August this year, and maybe some day or weekend trips based out of Kalispel, MT. Will be riding a 701. I have spent too many hours reading tire threads and realize terrain really helps make the decision. For you guys that have ridden this section, what type of tire would you recommend? A 70/30 dirt/street ratio about right? I would prefer as enjoyable, dirt oriented tire that won't wear me out on the tarmac...but I'm not certain what I'm in for, concerning mix of road-terrain. Motoz Rallyz? Goldentyre 723? Michelin Anakee Wild? I'm not concerned about high mileage but do want to have some tread left after 2-3 weeks of riding.
  8. PA Slammer

PA Slammer I hate titles...

Oddometer:
    I’ve got Aug 28th - Sep 17th off this year and plan on riding up from Loveland Colorado to do the IDBDR.

No firm plans yet, no partners yet. Would love some company. Open to camping and occasional hotels. Not in a rush. Don’t mind exploring the area a bit and getting on and off the route.

350 EXC-F
  9. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    The IDBDR is mostly DCG (De Composed Granite) roads, so it can be a little bit like loose sand in places depending on time of the year and traffic load since the last rains, but not a particularly demanding tire kind of ride. I could ride it on almost any tire and I am not a great rider.

I think that any of the tires that you listed would be fine. 701 should be a great bike for the ride, enjoy it. IDBDR is not really a demanding technical ride, but there is a lot of it if you do the whole route.

Having a tire survive 2-3 weeks of riding depends a lot on your wrist and the amount of wheelspin that you let loose on that 701. DCG will burn off tires quickly (it is abrasive) if you are on the throttle and spinning the rear wheel.
    doublegobble and Siorc like this.
  10. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've had good luck with the Pirelli Scorpion Rally front and a Motoz Desert HT rear on a 690/950SE on the IDBDR and for other travel (95% off-road travel). Definitely loud on the tarmac but works so well in the dirt. The Rallz rear could be a good compromise vs the Desert HT for better road manners. It's too bad we don't get the Bridgestone AX41 in our size as I was very impressed with how well it worked offroad and it felt like a street tire on pavement. Dunlop Trailmax Mission would be awesome on the pavement and it is interesting to me, but maybe too limitiing offroad...
    ridemtra and doublegobble like this.
  11. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Rallz. I ran it last year on the IDBDR and it had good manners.
    outbacktm and LSGiant like this.
  12. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put on the Scorpion Rally on the rear (motoz on the front), did a 2500 mile loop from Central Oregon including IBDR from north to south on a 690, had about 1/3 tread left. It was fine on dirt/gravel, sliding is smiling.
    doublegobble likes this.
  13. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't need an aggressive tire for this ride unless you're doing it through snow. It's one of the easiest BDR's.
  14. atomizer

atomizer Be here now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever tire works best on that awful gravel that makes up a huge chunk of the IDBDR.
    I had a Kenda Big Block on the rear and Scorpion Rally on the front and they worked okay...

STRich likes this.
  15. AnniePants

AnniePants KTM fanatic

Oddometer:
    OK folks, I'm ready for the Idaho BDR this year and could use some feedback/info from the hivemind of ADVrider:

-**EDIT** NOW Aiming for a *South to North ride starting July 5 (Mon) or 6 (Tues).
    - Four riders each on dual sport bikes (I'm riding my KTM 500 EXC, no one will be on "big" bikes for this trip, but nothing under 400cc)
    -We have from 7/5 (Mon) or 7/6 (Tues) through 7/16 (Fri) to go from SOUTH to North- now planning on a couple nights at both Warm Lake and Burgdorf to let the snow have a couple more days to melt off lol.
    -This'll be my first BDR and camping ride off of my KTM500exc. I have Mosko moto R80's and much experience riding/camping off of my 950.

Questions:
    Is each "section" a day's worth of riding?
    Best hot springs along the way?

What did you *wish* that you would've brought, that you didn't think of before your ride?

Any route deviations that'd be more fun for typically trail minded riders (realizing we will have our camp loads on board).

Do you change your suspension settings due to the heavier loads on the dual sports?
    We may have a friend interested in meeting us along the way in a vehicle- where might this work or not work?

Any thoughts on the above would be warmly welcomed!!
  16. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to be a buzz kill, but. . . you are very likely to get blocked by snow in multiple places that early in the season. If that's when you've got the time then cool, go for it. But you may want to do some detailed looking at topo maps and plan some alternate routes for if (when) you hit snow.

To sortof address some of your questions:
    I figure around 20mph average on dirt and 50mph average on pavement, that includes short stops for fuel, pics, snacks, and pee breaks, but not major meal stops. Gets me close enough to estimate mileage depending on how long I want to ride in a day. I think I generally go longer than a "section" in a day.
    Bring hand warmers to toss in your sleeping bag. Might not be what you'd plan for in the summer, but nights in the mountains get chilly.
    Tools to fit every bike, tubes, etc - hopefully that's obvious, but those are the things you will want and need - unless you bring them, in which case they're usually dead weight.
    North of Avery, I highly recommend the minor road route and the single track - way better than sitting in tourist dust on the main road. Just stay on the less traveled of the two tracks.
    I managed to grind my chain into the swingarm of my WR250R, so I just got my suspension totally rebuilt (and had a welder fix the swingarm). So yes re suspension settings.
    4WD truck can do all of the IDBDR, heck a Subaru would probably be OK on 90% of it, but much much slower than a bike. Magruder is a nice section for four wheels.
    A nice side trail is the Burnt Knob Lookout off the Magruder - actually, it's always a good idea to check out lookout towers. Burnt Knob is steep and rough (not recommended for your buddy in a Subaru).
    Also for Magruder, if you've got comfortable fuel range, I recommend adding the road along the Selway river to Paradise campground, NF-6223, here: N45° 44.110' W114° 45.482'. Curvy, fun although not technical, very scenic. Also fine for four wheels (who could haul gas for you too!).
    If you want to add some more fun dirt, check out the Elk City Wagon Road. You would start in Elk City at end of section 3&4, and it would take you up to Harpster (don't get fooled by the part where it loops almost to the highway - the best part is after that). Then highway (curvy, fun, similar to the section you'd skip) south to the northern part of map 7/section 3.
  17. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    I cannot imagine you getting through at Blue Cabin that early. There is a go-around to the west, which I have never had to take, that passes along Freezout Ridge. The name doesn't sound encouraging, and if my memory serves me well, I believe someone posted earlier in this thread about not being able to get through there either. I agree with @Siorc about visiting Burnt Knob, but it can be a handful for a big bike (not just a Subaru :-)).
    Jay
    Siorc likes this.
  18. tridawg

tridawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got blocked by snow about a mile north of blue cabin July 8th last year.
  19. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We went around the same time in 2017. Lolo, and the Blue cabin section were still snowed in. Magruder and Elk summit were both open. The water crossing by Lowman was too deep with big rocks to ride and we had to team up to push the bikes across. We are hoping to do it again around the 5th this year with the understanding that some sections may require work arounds due to snow. If Lolo is still snowed in the St. Joe scenic byway is an excellent (and very scenic) workaround. Check out the Idaho snotel site for snowpack info. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/id_swepctnormal_update.pdf

A hot dry spring can help clear some of those snowy spots. The good news is that even if you have to detour, you will still have a scenic trip!
    AnniePants and JMartin like this.
  20. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were at Blue Heaven on July 28th of 2020. The snow was still melting fast, but the passes had opened up (barely) the week before. You will need to plan a few route choices in advance. Backtracking will be a time and fuel suck.
    We were able to cross at Clearwater Creek without too much drama. We heard that some other folks had to de-water a bike earlier in the week. If it was bad line choice or high water or a combination of both, who knows.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/next-in-the-bdr-series-idbdr.935700/page-89#post-40519513