Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200907_115206937_HDR.jpg
    Yes, I should have mentioned that. They typically get cleared out by the time the snow is clear. But wind storms can still be a problem - this pic was from early September last year on the Lolo Motorway, and I had to negotiate about a dozen downed trees to get through (small bike FTW!).
    Ride Now likes this.
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good info.
    My group is starting July 12
    Migolito likes this.
  3. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Leaving for the route Sept. 1st
  4. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    July 12 is probably a good date. Snow is tapering off and fire season hasn’t started in earnest. Additionally a fair bit of clearing and trail busting seems to happen the weekend of the 4th as guys get out with 4x4s and chain saws.
    Migolito and Little Bike like this.
  5. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure someone has a Silky saw along

6. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Got one. Ill have a hatchet too. How are mosquitos around there that time of year?
    (minion on Little Bikes Crew)
    STRich likes this.
  7. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Usually not bad. Unless you forget your repellent.
    Migolito likes this.
  8. Siorc

Oddometer:
    I keep thinking of adding one to my gear, but it seems like anything you can cut with a saw you're willing to carry, is something that you can either ride over, prop up and get your bike under, or simply drag out of the way. Help me understand?
  9. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Middle of July last year, at the Jeanette camp, just past Burgdorf (which was closed) the mosquitoes were almost Fairbanks, AK quality. Fortunately I had brought a head net, so I was able to set up camp and get a fire going with the net on. That's the only place we had bad mosquitoes in the trip.
    If you stay there, check out the Crystal Domes above the campground. An old quartz quarry with fantastic views. Good place to watch the sun go down.
    dino702 and Migolito like this.
  10. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always use a Thermocell to keep mosquitoes away. It does a great job. I did a month motorcycle trip in Alaska and never used repellent.
  11. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:

Funny, after reading this, I was like yeah, why do I carry it? Then I remembered going through areas of wind fall with 12” or less diameter trees above knee height crossing the trail with many others above and below the tree across the trail. Can’t hop, can’t move. Still pretty rare but also pretty light.
    outbacktm, 250senuf and Siorc like this.
  12. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all the standing burned out trees, any real wind starts knocking them over. For the most part I agree with you and we did ride over most of them. But then you come along a 45' tree that has blown across a section where 1 side is a cliff and the uphill side is impossible to ride around it, our option was to cut or turn around....

thirsty 1, outbacktm and Siorc like this.
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring two saws in case of pinching the first one. Takes of bit of practice (aka pinched saws) to learn to "read" a tree and where/which way to cut.
  14. doublegobble

doublegobble gnat dodger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those who have experience on the trail...do y'all prefer ADV style helmet (with shield/visor) opposed to mx style helmet with goggles? Will be riding with at least one other rider...possibly as many as 3 others. Didn't know if dust might outweigh concern of rain riding. Currently ride a Airoh that is so light I don't want to wear anything else...but also don't ride rain locally...but considering buying a Hornet x2/XD4/etc. for the trip.
  15. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    2017-07-26 11.14.54.jpg
    I still carry one nonetheless.
    Migolito and STRich like this.
  16. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    If you have to deal with any mud or snow, more than a day's worth of riding.

One section is typically a good long day of riding. Especially if you stop once in a while to enjoy the scenery (highly recommended).
  17. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a post on the Facebook - Idaho BDR page by the new owner of the Yellow Pine General Store. I guess the store is opening this spring and will have gas, beer and such for riders this year. I imagine the locals appreciate a market for some level of fresh foods. Hope the gas isn't $7.50 USD like it was a couple years ago.
  18. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was only $5 a gallon last year
    LSGiant likes this.
  19. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One long day of riding in the rain (WABDR) killed MX helmets for me. I tried a scorpion modular the next two trips (IDBDR and ORBDR) and loved being able to pop it open when we stopped on 100 degree days, but hated when the locking mechanism got jammed up with dirt.

My last two trips (Canada and ORBDR) I’ve used a Shoei Hornet X2 and love it. I ride with the visor open with sunglasses on 90% of the time. For long highway slogs or rainy days the shield is invaluable. For dusty riding I pop up the face shield and throw on my goggles.
    Good luck!
  20. I Ride

I Ride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am from southern NM and my plan is to ride the IDBDR starting last week of July. I am 70 and in fair shape but all my old riding buddies are hanging it up. The younger guys I ride with can't get the time off from work to spend 2 or more weeks going north and back. I haven't been able to get the desert racer locals interested in this type of stuff either. Long story I am looking for one or two riders to join up with. Dirt rider most of my life but definitely slowing down. Want to enjoy not race. I am expecting to camp most nights but not a problem to motel if available. If this interests you let me know. Thanks in advance.
    BHoward, sorebutt, PYG RYDR and 3 others like this.