1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. I Ride

I Ride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am from southern NM and my plan is to ride the IDBDR starting last week of July. I am 70 and in fair shape but all my old riding buddies are hanging it up. The younger guys I ride with can't get the time off from work to spend 2 or more weeks going north and back. I haven't been able to get the desert racer locals interested in this type of stuff either. Long story I am looking for one or two riders to join up with. Dirt rider most of my life but definitely slowing down. Want to enjoy not race. I am expecting to camp most nights but not a problem to motel if available. If this interests you let me know. Thanks in advance.
    BHoward, sorebutt, PYG RYDR and 3 others like this.
  2. I Ride

Oddometer:
    Riding a DR 650 for comparison sake.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  3. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    Late July is a little ways off, but good timing to do the IDBDR. Pay attention to this thread and you should be able to hook up with someone. At 70 you would've been the 2nd youngest in our group last year.

CK
  4. I Ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement. Timewise I am trying to avoid snow. My son and I rode up Cumberland Pass in Colorado too early one spring. Made the summit but a huge snow drift on the way down to Tincup stopped us.
  5. doublegobble

doublegobble gnat dodger Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride...I believe we will have a small group heading north to south starting around the 20th or 21st....we might not do a purist through of the entire trail
    , but end end up looping back up to Kalispel via a yet to be undetermined route. Looking to maximize the views. Feel free to pM me closer to the time and i'll give you our itinerary if you want to tag along for any of it...probably be 2-4 of us...will know more the closer we get to 'game time'.
  6. I Ride

Oddometer:
    My son lives in Reno and I will be there and then head to Jarbridge to start North. Thanks for the offer. Maybe we'll meet in the middle.
    doublegobble likes this.
  7. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Making up tracks for Idaho later this summer.

Does anyone know if the Elk City to Selway River run via Falls Point Road is now open? I was on it two years ago and there was a big slide that had the road closed, just a few miles from the Selway.

Thanks in advance!
  8. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
  9. River-Runner

Oddometer:
  10. ParamotoC

ParamotoC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of somewhere to stay around Yellow Pine? I was hoping to get a cabin or something that night, but the only thing I have seen is the Yellow Pine ranch and that has a 2 night minimum and is pretty spendy. Camping recommendations are welcome too. Thanks!
    jeepman63 likes this.
  11. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a small hotel in Yellow Pine. I know several guys that have stayed there.
    SlickRickMotoADV likes this.
  12. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    There’s also a USFS campground 1/2 mike south of town
    outbacktm likes this.
  13. ParamotoC

ParamotoC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
  14. PABiker

Oddometer:
    My buddies and I stayed in Mary’s cabins for one night when we went through Yellow Pine back in 2017:

https://m.facebook.com/MurphsRVPark/

They were still in business in 2019 when we were passing through, not sure what their status is now but it’s worth a call.
  15. PABiker

Oddometer:
  16. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's lots of disbursed camping a mile or so south of town where the creek crosses the road.
    outbacktm and Siorc like this.
  17. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    Riders -

I know this is a little off the BDR, but.......Looking to see if anyone has done the road north From Kelly Fork Cabin, up the NF Clearwater to I-90/Superior? Looking to do a few side trips this summer and planning tracks. Is it a nice drive? Looks like a few Campgrounds along the way. I'm assuming it's out in the puckerbrush.

Nice ride from Kelly Fork Cabin down to Pierce as a side trip.
  18. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a really nice ride. The road is paved part of the way until you get to the border.
    Siorc likes this.
  19. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also really like FS-320, dirt and a bit rough in places (but not harder than other parts of IDBDR), that goes over to Superior from near the end of the St Joe river road. It would be a nice loop to do both, and then return to IDBDR route back on the St Joe road. And the Spruce Tree campground at the end of the St Joe road is a gem.

Edit, I now see your mention of NF Clearwater; oops, my brain was thinking further north. But yes that road over Hoodoo pass is good. You can actually connect from there north to the road I mentioned above via the road that heads west from Cedars campground then loops north, if you wanted to make a loop (that road is similar to the more challenging sections of IDBDR).
  20. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    A better ride than going to Superior would be to turn at the Cedars campground and go over the top to the St. Joe and then to down the St. Joe to Avery and then get back on the IDBDR.
    Siorc likes this.