Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys - will play with Basecamp some more.
  2. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
  4. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
  5. doublegobble

doublegobble gnat dodger Supporter

Oddometer:
    tried doing a thread search but nothing came up...how is cell service on the IDBDR? Might be riding some of it solo and was wondering if I needed to invest in Inreach or a PLB?
  6. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    If you have AT&T like I do, most of it has no cell service.
  7. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had spotty service, but was able to find wifi in some very remote locations. just enough bandwidth to get a call out to check in. I would say a PLB would be an asset on the trip for peace of mind.
  8. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It isn't on the route but will tie in with it at Avery. It is a nicer ride in my opinion. It is more scenic.
  9. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the section between Pine and Lowman is open yet? The snow level maps on the BDR site show maybe 1 little spot where there may be snow, and not much of it at that. Has anyone tried to get through there yet? Was thinking of scoping it out next weekend and was wondering if I could make it through or try to find a lower route to Lowman.
  10. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We went through there last year about June 16th, little bit of snow on one of the high points, but none on the trail. I know that doesn’t help for this year
  11. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    I'm at my cabin at Anderson Res. It was 101 degrees at 5pm. I'd bet you could get from Pine to Lowman, but you may have to get creative in the Banner mine area. Lot's of forest service roads to choose from, though.

CK
  12. wingtraveler

Oddometer:
    use the gaia app it shows all cell service and current fire danger in your area
  13. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    I have T-Mobile. Totally useless from Clark Fork to Lowman.... worked in McCall though. I always carried a PLB and in the past 2 years, I bring an Inreach as well so my wife can track me. Overkill I know.
    STRich and Dorian like this.
  14. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    @doublegobble a couple of years ago I bought a ResQLink. It's a PLB, no texting. Works off NOAA satellites and has coverage for all of the US and Canada. One time purchase, register it with the NOAA online and you're set. If you use it you get a free replacement.
    It does one thing, scream for help. I'm single and my friends live a couple hundred miles away, so if I need help, there's nobody. I carry this on my trips.
    Amazon has them, about $250. Get the marine version- if it's in the water it floats with the antenna up. The other one floats too, but will lay on it's back.

Really, everybody should look into this device.
  15. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get some king of beacon. It really helps for peace of mind especially when riding solo. And keep in mind: if you still have cell service, you haven't gone far enough.
    And no, you won't have cell service for most of IDBDR.
    doublegobble likes this.
  16. FW190Pilot

FW190Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Garmin Inreach Mini. I like mine. I don't rely on cell service anywhere outside of towns/cities in most of the Intermountain West, although I miraculously got a phone call while taking photos on the Hogback portion of Hwy 12 south of Torrey, UT last month......startled me and I almost dropped the phone.
  17. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garmin Inreach was my go-to on my solo IDBDR ride. Wife had no idea was wandering through the wilderness, but it gave me piece of mind that they would at least find the bike and maybe some bones...
    TheAdmiral and philthyphil like this.
  18. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep my SPOT on my jacket. Lots of steep drop offs out there. I figure if I ever really need it, either myself or my bike will be inaccessible off the side of the road, down a cliff. I want to be able to reach that button. It's worth the cost of the batteries.
    philthyphil, SilverAdvRdr and Ladybug like this.
  19. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Usually I keep the inreach in my pack. Close but out of the way. Sometimes on the bike. If I can’t get to it I don’t want to be found. Similar to worncogs philosophy, but I keep it off so it works when I want it to. Main use is comms with family when I camp without service.
  20. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep my Inreach on all the time and in tracking mode, this way if something happens and I am unable to press that button the designated monitor for that trip will see that something is wrong when the dot is no longer moving for too long. Help may not arrive before I perish, but at least I will be found and there will be closure. It can go 2+ days on a single charge, and every other day I charge it on the bike. I finally did Section 1 this weekend, when I did it in 2018 my son had bike issues which delayed us a day and we had to skip the jarbridge section to stay on schedule, finally 3 years later I finished it. This is the Inreach tracks for the entire trip.

upload_2021-6-15_19-24-51.png
    Ladybug likes this.