Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep my Inreach on all the time and in tracking mode, this way if something happens and I am unable to press that button the designated monitor for that trip will see that something is wrong when the dot is no longer moving for too long. Help may not arrive before I perish, but at least I will be found and there will be closure. It can go 2+ days on a single charge, and every other day I charge it on the bike. I finally did Section 1 this weekend, when I did it in 2018 my son had bike issues which delayed us a day and we had to skip the jarbridge section to stay on schedule, finally 3 years later I finished it. This is the Inreach tracks for the entire trip.

upload_2021-6-15_19-24-51.png
    Ladybug likes this.
  2. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha, I'm sortof the opposite. Tracking on, but just a plain ol SPOT, so I actually escape texting when I escape cell service.
    RozzyCat likes this.
  3. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job. I've ridden most of the central 2/3 or so multiple times in various loops, but not the north and south ends. Kindof a blessing and curse from living near the route; I usually just ride IDBDR as long weekends, but go to other places for longer trips.
  4. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can tell you that most people THINK they will be able to access their device if they have a get off. But, I will tell you that it may not work out that way. I was riding in Big Bend last spring and had a highside/endo at about 35mph on my DR. Came over a rise and a long thin rock about 12" long kicked the back wheel and kicked the rear wheel up faster than the suspension could compensate for, launching me in a front flip with a slight twist. Probably a 6 if there was scoring and 20'+. I landed flat on my right side on hard pan. No broken bones but the pain was on a 10 of 10 and my ability to move was non-existent for well over 5 minutes. I was eventually able to sit up and then stand up. This took at least 25 minutes to get to this point. No broken bones but soft tissue trauma was heavy on the right side. Oh, and I'm an EMT, and pretty fit for an old fart. Bars bent, brake lever pretzeled and barkbuster bent, right footpeg ripped out of bracket, and those were the critical items. I rode it out, with a vise grip footpeg. Had to because we were 35 miles from tarmac and ~20 miles linear in from nearest recovery point. It was painful. Couldn't imagine if I was solo that day, or if I didn't have hip pads.

No broken bones, no compartment syndrome, but three months of recovery with heavy bruising, pulled muscles, and lotsa slow moving.

My point is, don't be under the impression that you will dig out your device or get it from your bike if you land hard and you are alone. If you are a trauma alert, and solo, you might not make it if you don't have ready access to your device. Well, you still might not make it, but they might not find you for quite some time. You have to be realistic when you ride remote, and especially if you ride remote solo. End of my PSA for the year. :1drink
  5. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    You were lucky. I have been as well. Risk=reward. It’s part of the game and you have to pay to play. You are responsible for yourself and you should always expect to self rescue. I could go on, but let’s get back to the IDBDR.

Should be able to get through Lolo and Magruder soon. I am going to try and make a trip up Lolo with the saw next weekend. Will report back.
    Dorian, worncog, Siorc and 5 others like this.
  6. bigfatandugly

bigfatandugly n00b

Oddometer:
  7. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We may be doing a northern section, Clark Fork to Lolo, sometime around July 4th. Would be glad to hear any reports on snow levels, particularly the drifts between blue cabin and Avery. Also hoping the Motorway has been cleared of deadfall by now (or will be by then) - any info?
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  8. fontanaman

fontanaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode from Wallace to Clark Fork on Father's Day. No snow. All dead fall was cleared and the road was in good shape.

Call the Lolo Pass Visitor Center at 208-942-3113 for updates on the Lolo Trail Motorway. The Powell Ranger Station near Lochsa Lodge is no longer staffed to host public inquiries. The Lolo Pass Visitor Center manages all public inquires now. I called week ago and they had no information on the status of Lolo Trail Motorway.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  9. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the local intel. I see a new status posted today that reports some deep drifts on the sections S of there: https://ridebdr.com/news/idbdr-riding-season-route-updates/. Hopefully another week-and-a-bit will have those drifts melted down a lot.
  10. TrevorG

TrevorG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kind of a general question. But im doing the wa and the idaho BDR's back to back in early july. Anything I should know? Any must see's a long the way?
  11. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you are doing them back to back you might look at the Northwest Passage route since it connects about 2 miles from the end of the WABDR and goes to the middle of section 8 of the IDBDR. It’s a nice route with lots of dirt to connect them. https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/northwest-passage-nwp/northwest-passage/
    TrevorG, SilverAdvRdr and GrizzLee like this.
  12. KiloGraham

KiloGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this....
    I just got back from the AZBDR and am doing Colorado in about a month.
    In the planning stages for Idaho and Washington for next year and this is a great addition!
    fjmartin likes this.
  13. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to get from Elk City to Lochsa Lodge in a day? My brother and I are doing the IDBDR the end of July. I did half of it last year in September and was suprised how quickly I got from Elk City to Darby! So I feel like it is doable, but don't want to be pushing to hard to get there? Can anyone help me or let me know if they have done this? Thanks.
  14. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yup. We did exactly that last July. 225 miles. We stopped for lunch in Hamilton.
    utefan likes this.
  15. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Did that leg a couple years ago solo. A moderately long day, but all the days are long on the IDBDR.
    utefan likes this.
  16. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    Easily. I left Elk City 8am-ish and had dinner at Lochsa Lodge right around sunset, in late August, and I was making a lot of sightseeing stops throughout the day. Make sure to do the Elk Meadows alternate track.
    worncog and utefan like this.
  17. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect, thank you everyone for the responses. Exactly what I needed!
  18. TrevorG

TrevorG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is exactly the kinda info I was after, thank you!
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  19. bobsled

bobsled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hitting the Magruder Corridor again!! Nice!
    utefan likes this.
  20. Car Sun Key

Car Sun Key Pick a direction and go

Oddometer:
    Just got back and can confirm everything except magruder and lolo is clear.

Reports from elk city were magruder was clear but lolo still needs some saw work. Wagon wheel road northbound out of elk city works as a alt route if needed.

Great ride!
    20210624_174400_HDR.jpg
    utefan, Siorc, BadDogMax and 8 others like this.