Next in the BDR series - IDBDR

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by eakins, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Car Sun Key

Car Sun Key Pick a direction and go

Oddometer:
  2. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, hoping to ride it without the fog, hail and sleet this time :lol3
  3. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. bobsled

bobsled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    don't forget the smoke also!
    utefan likes this.
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    The fog just adds to the fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Solo Moto, utefan and thirsty 1 like this.
  6. dirtnsnow

dirtnsnow Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Siorc

Oddometer:
  8. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    The current road closure from the Idaho Fire Map shows the dirt road through Florence proper to still be open. Of course things can change by the minute.
    Jay
  9. Siorc

Oddometer:
    I'm going for it. Should be doing the Florence section on Sunday. If the road is closed, I'll probably try FS 354, Slate Creek Road, which starts at Slate Creek ID, about halfway between Riggins and White Bird. Never been there, but it looks good on the map....
    P.S., on the overview IDBDR map it is unlabeled, but is the road that runs almost straight east from hwy 95, shown to the left of the red-circled "7".
    View attachment 3057229
  10. Siorc

Oddometer:
    PXL_20210702_010334871.jpg
    pratered likes this.
  11. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    While no one has said so specifically, I suppose IDBDR saying all sections are clear, includes being able to get through Blue Cabin. Usually we have a report by someone that's made it. Jay
  12. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I believe fires are now the big concern of being able to get through.
  13. dirtnsnow

dirtnsnow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode to Grandad Bridge Thursday from the Elk River side. There was a road closed sign on the road from the campground to Pierce. It looks like a logging operation may have the road closed. The Silver Creek road may be a possible bypass if you find the main route closed.
  14. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    Anyone run the IDBDR north to south?

I know the route is set up to be run south to north but am curious if anyone has input/preference on running the route north to south vs. the traditional south to north.

I will be running the route mid July through early August. Coming from a Chicago suburb so it doesn't matter which way I run it.
  15. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    I've always ridden north to south as I am coming out of Seattle. You meet more riders that way which is a great way to get trail info.

wingtraveler, JP4 and rplo like this.
  16. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    Going north, the sun was at my back most of the ride, so I was very rarely fiddling with my sun visor. Going north, you also gain an hour (clocks go backwards) going into Elk City, which becomes important if you get there on Sunday.
  17. sjeproductions

sjeproductions Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This just in.....

ROAD CLOSURE – FOREST SERVICE ROAD #500 / LOLO MOTORWAY
    Effective July 8, a portion of Forest Service Road #500, also known as the Lolo Motorway, will be CLOSED due to active wildfire in the area.
    The closure will impact the Lolo Motorway from the junction with FSR #104 (Pete Forks Junction) to Green Saddle. Additionally, Weitas Butte Lookout Road #557 is closed in its entirety, and Rocky Ridge Trail #112 is closed from the junction with the Lolo Motorway to the junction with FSR #103 above Beaver Dam Creek. These closures are necessary for public safety due to active wildfire in the area.
    The Rocky fire and the Rocky 2 fire were both spotted earlier this week and are burning north of the Lolo Motorway in the Rocky Ridge area. Firefighters were initially called to the Rocky fire and were able to put a line around the fire before being called to respond to the Rocky 2 fire, which was deemed a higher priority due to greater values at risk. As of the evening of July 6, the Rocky 2 fire was approximately 30 acres with active fire movement to the south.
    Due to high fire activity across the forest and limited firefighting resources, the Rocky and Rocky 2 fires are currently unstaffed while resources respond to higher priority incidents. Firefighters are engaged in point protection for values at risk in the Rocky Ridge area, with the priority being the safety of the public. The Lolo Motorway and the Rocky Ridge Campground have been posted to inform the public of fire activity in the area. #NPCFireInfo #NPClwNF
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  18. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    The Lolo Motorway Road Closure order states it is effective from July 8th until August 31st or until rescinded whichever occurs first.

Hopefully the fire is contained and this section of the motorway opens sooner than later.
  19. SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV Northern California ST/ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    If that closure stays in place for those dates, what is the reroute that should be done? Does the whole Lolo Motorway have to be skipped? I'm coming from out of the area and am unfamiliar with the reroutes.
  20. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    Coming from Illinois. I will be at the Lolo section in aprox two weeks.

I have been studying various maps tonight and couldn't come up w/ any reroute around the closed section. The only thing I could come up with was to skip Lolo and take paved Route 12 to Orofino then Route 11 to Pierce and back to the BDR - not something I want to do even though Butler maps shows Route 12 as G1 & G2 road.

If it is still closed when I arrive at the Lolo section, I am considering doing an out and back on the motorway. Take the motorway to Green Saddle turn around head back east and take 107 south which will then dump me on Route 12. Then Rt 12 to Orofino and Route 11 to Pierce and back to the BDR - that will add an extra day for sure. I don't want to miss the Lolo motorway as I have no idea when I would be able to return to this area.