Next in the BDR series - MABDR

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by eakins, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Kingpf

Kingpf n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    I'll be there !
  3. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Logistics are complete - counting down the days until our Spring departure:
    MABDR Tour Map.JPG
    dmottv, SanK, eakins and 5 others like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Looks great ! Your green route line appears to be running in very close proximity to two of my favorite quaint (no franchises) mountain towns: Hot Springs, North Carolina and Floyd, Virginia. If you are not already familiar with them - check em' out.
    FarmerKeith and Dualsport Chic like this.
  5. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    By the way, it might be smart to wait for at least a couple weeks of dry weather, after the last thaw, in Green Ridge State Forest (shortly after the trail enters Maryland, heading north. I was showing my West Coast sister around the area, last week, and traveling north on the same road the MABDR takes through Green Ridge, and got into deep, slick, mud on a pretty steep downhill. I don't think we could have made it back up, if we hadn't been able to continue north. We were in a front wheel drive car, so a bike with knobbies could do a lot better, but it would still be good to stay off that road until it's had time to dry out. I rode that same road twice, last summer, on my dual sport, and thought of it as a good gravel road.
    AdvRich likes this.
  6. terrysig

terrysig Plays with atoms in spare time...

Oddometer:
    Not sure if mentioned but heads up that PA 233 where it crosses US 30 in Caladonia State park is closed with a bridge replacement project. Just went through there going north. Couple quick work arounds. I made a quick left before the project on to a driveway that goes by the park Superintendents house. Looking at it later a right befor the project on Golf Course Road also gets around the bridge closure coming out a little east on US 30.
    SoPaRider and Dualsport Chic like this.
  7. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    I think we had that issue on the Expedition, Rob Watt did a great job of getting around it.
    I forget the details, but I'll check my Tracks from the ride and see if it's the same spot.
    Jack
    eakins likes this.
  8. terrysig

terrysig Plays with atoms in spare time...

Oddometer:
    With regards to PA 233 bridge replacement detour, sopke to a local after I posted here and apparently the driveway is the official detour. That DCNR roadway is typically blocked off and used as an Appalachian Trail parking area but has been opened up to support traffic flow to US 30 and beyond. I was told Golf Course Road would also work.

Jack this work supposedly started in November so you guys probably cleared this one.
  9. GasGuzzler

GasGuzzler GasGuzzler

Oddometer:
    How about the Adirondacks, camped in that area. I'm sure it would be an amazing BDR route!!!!
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Ya know... I look at these requests for maps of this area and that area....and I wonder.....what has happened to going out on our own and finding our own roads to ride???
    Sure, I've asked for, and given, advice on where to go and how to get there. But...I have wandered around making big loops and found nice roads and scenery many more times than I followed somebody's idea of a good route. If one looks at topo maps, it's fairly easy to see twisty roads along creeks, roads up and down over mountains and other features that make riding interesting.
    I don't mean to put down the effort put into these maps and routes....just seems that people want/need to be spoon-fed more and more, in many aspects of their life. Resulting in more and more people having nearly the same experience. Similar to driving the roads leading in/out of towns and cities.... the same grocery stores, restaurant chains, bars...whatever....every place you go. What's the adventure in that?

OK...off the soapbox.....carry on.
    SanK, Kyler, AdvRich and 3 others like this.
  11. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    150% in agreement. Part of the fun is doing the research prior to your adventure. People are lazy as a general rule I have found and feel entitled that others provide them with everything they should be doing for themselves. Takes the adventure out if you do what everyone else is doing.
    FreeTheBeast likes this.
  12. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Who cares if people want pre-planned tracks. It doesn't make someone any less of a rider just because they want to follow in someone else's tracks, it doesn't make them lazy, it doesn't make them entitled. ADV rider is supposed to be a platform for sharing, if you think so little of people that ride or request other's routes then maybe you don't belong here.

Man am I sick of everyone's obnoxious gatekeeper opinions of what makes "a real adventure rider".
    max384, dmottv, NYTrainer and 11 others like this.
  13. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day.

Oddometer:
    I see both sides of this.
    I have laid out tracks for paid events for our M/C club, I have put on several free 2 day rides, I've helped others with their rides. I've posted up hundreds of miles to share with the world. So I'd done my share of exploring and sharing.
    I have gone to new places that I'm not familiar with and used someone else's tracks. So I've taken the lazy route too. But I'm not afraid to explore far from home either.
    I think riders should just go out and ride. But sometimes on a long ride in new territory a proven route is nice.
    So with that mind set I'm more likely to share my local tracks with out of state riders than locals.

I don't bad mouth others because they don't agree with me either BTW.
  14. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Wow, a little "snarky"!
    I love to just wander around, finding new stuff. I also like following GPS routes through the woods. Fun navigating practice. I also like letting a GPS unit find backroads that I didn't know about, while "re-calibrating" when I don't like the road I'm on.

But be careful getting too dependent on GPS routes. I got suspended from my club for two weeks because I didn't supply the correct format of GPS route for a club ride! And there's what happened to Michael on the office:
    "THE MACHINE KNOWS!"
    anoldsman likes this.
  15. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer:
    I like to explore and make notes and really enjoy when somebody comes back and says they enjoyed a route I gave them. But I also know that it can be fun to go on a proven route, because it means on that day I won't keep coming across closed gates or other dead ends. The various BDRs are really a goal in themselves, with a beginning and a destination. With weather and everything else, they are constantly changing too.

I'm not insecure enough to care what anybody thinks about my giving routes or using somebody else's.
    [​IMG]
    eakins and hightest like this.
  16. AdvRich

AdvRich Parallel Reality

Oddometer:
    A little Robert Frost to add to the mix of thoughts.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

However your ride route comes to be, make sure your standing on the pegs when you come into the campground. :rofl
    max384, kojack06 and Dualsport Chic like this.
  17. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Welllll, I can only work in 4 or 5 of these planned routes a year, but do much more snooping around on my own. I suspect this goes for most other inmates, as well.

In the meantime, I really appreciate the efforts of those who contribute these routes.
    kojack06, eakins, AdvRich and 2 others like this.
  18. Grumblez

Grumblez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spent weeks a couple hours ride at a time making a route across southern WV. I cant imagine ever having the time to go out and make a route this size on my own. I had fun making a route but by the time it's made it's not the same sense of adventure to me because you've ridden all the road(s) already.
    eakins, Kymtnman and hightest like this.
  19. hightest

hightest Safety Meeting

Oddometer:
    Ive ridden the BDRs and other rides that I have downloaded here. Some are great and some not so great.
    Ive had hassle free rides and Ive ended up following tracks onto posted land with screaming land owners.
    I do like to be adventurous and look off the beaten path but I don't want my trip bummed out for pissing people off
    by being where I shouldn't. So if people are looking for a hassle free adventure then the BDRs are the perfect choice.
    kojack06, eakins, sieg and 2 others like this.
  20. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    Perhaps but let's say you have two weeks vacation and you want to ride back roads in Idaho. You can completely wing it and have one kind of good time or you can seek out information and have another. Something like the BDR is a great resource for someone who likes a little inside information and also doesn't want to dedicate three hours a night for a few weeks frothing about it on the internet.

Taking a GPS track that someone else posted isn't much different than taking a local to lunch and marking a map. As always YMMV.
    kojack06, eakins and Kymtnman like this.