Next in the BDR series - MABDR

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by eakins, Sep 21, 2017.

1. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the CO, NM and UT BDRs. I've not been able to any of them "exactly" as planned. Always something...snow, hail, downed trees, big snake...something. Yet, the absolute best memories of each ride are when we had creatively find a workaround and roll our own. Some were minor-ish workarounds that were a few hours at most. Some were major sub-adventures pushing bikes past their limits and involving some TIG welding to keep going. ALL great memories.

I look at the BDR as a blueprint - with some freedom to create as needed. I'll plan on following the plan, but be just as happy when I have to (or want to) improvise.
    kojack06, eakins and Scotty P like this.
  2. Glenduro

Glenduro Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    No worries man.

You might be missing the big picture of this BDR project. The idea is not 1 BDR but rather an interconnected web of BDRs, in this case Florida to Canada. Out west Mexico to Canada and beyond. The key word is Discovery here...go see something new to you.

These were created to give people inspiration and focus of where to go ride next. It's great you can create your own, but many don't have the time nor skills to pull that all together. Now try that 1/2 on the other side of the country for those traveling far to ride them.

Rest assured if you read the ride reports or talk to people that have done the same BDR no one ever has the same experience! Life, situations, weather & experiences are constantly in flux.

We are VERY proud of our BDR collection and the routes we have given back to the ADV community to go ride and experience.

I challenge you to instead go ride one and then give us all your feedback.

Thanks, Bill
  4. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    What say you about a Florida BDR?
  5. worncog

worncog YBNormal

Oddometer:
    SEAT. And bring your best sand game if you're on a big ADV. If you don't blink an eye at sand, it's no big deal...but some start to sweat at the mere mention of shugga sand. YMMV
    mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  6. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be me. I do hard pack, rocks, mud etc. but riding sand on a big ADV bike makes me have nightmares for months after. I'll ride what I have to but I'm not looking for "off road" in the south as much as the north.
  7. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    Is SEAT an acronym of some type?
  8. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, bet my Scarabeo 250 could handle most of it but certainly not all of it. Swag would be nice though.
  10. Glenduro

Glenduro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys really think a scooter can handle it? If someone is willing to donate a zumo or ruckus Im willing to give it go and vlog about it.

onetire likes this.
  11. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, parts of this ride are probably more than I can handle on my DR. I doubt I'd stand a chance on the scoot.

With that said, very nice seeing this route posted up and plan to give it a run, or at least part of it, this spring. Great job and keep up the good work.
  12. Glenduro

Glenduro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The MABDR seems very relaxed. Their single track is more dirt jeep trails and they even reference 2 and 3 track paved roads? I think the hardest thing to contend with on a scooter would be water crossings (maybe 2) and the miles in the seat especially if you're going the full route 1080 miles. We can always bring a tow strap and I can tow you behind the XR650L if needed :)
  13. worncog

worncog YBNormal

Oddometer:
    My buddy has a Zumo 125 with a Yoshi pipe and a Corbin seat...it rips. Wonder if he'd let me borrow it for a few days. Hhmmm...what size knobbies fit? :)
    Glenduro likes this.
  14. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Eakins: is the same pile of swag available for the first person to do the MABDR on a moped?
    Glenduro likes this.
  15. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ll be on a 250cc Chinese bike. I would think a DR would be fine.
  16. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    TW200 would be a great SEAT bike.
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  17. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I watched the entire MABDR video and saw nothing on there that would give my little 150 Geniuine Scooter Buddy any problems, even the so called expert sections. Have to take it easy in a lot of places, it doesn't take much to bottom what little suspension it has pretty hard. Not sure how deep the water crossings are though, they looked doable on a little scooter but that might need some careful pre wading.

My grandkids TW200 will go anywhere.
    Glenduro and Dualsport Chic like this.
  18. Jerm21

Jerm21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm.... I do have a steet-legal z50. Now all I need is a month off of work.
    AdvRich and kojack06 like this.
  19. jmcmotorsports162

jmcmotorsports162 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe these type of rides and maps are very good for someone looking to get out more or just starting on cycle travel. It takes the stress of the planning the route out of it. Shows how to route and map and follow a track that you know is solid and what to expect which helps test the bike, rider, gear and set up as well as what else you may need if you find your set up not working or missing something.

Thanks for the hard work fellas. I am very excited to ride some of the MABDR this summer.

Cheers
    RJAMT and Chrismcp12 like this.
  20. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember that kid. Only bike that didn't have parts bungied to it by the end of the day but I think that's because most of the parts had already fallen off before he hit the trails.:lol3
    scootac likes this.