Next in the BDR series - NMBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    The nice folks at Butler Maps sent me an email today saying NMBDR maps now available!!!
    For preorder :)
    I was hoping for some tracks from the also nice folks from BDR, I guess they r going to make us wait till the very end of January.....
    Mapsource open and waiting for download.
    eakins likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I know that BDR are always designed with max dirt involved (big bike friendly) but must always be a complete thru route from south to north.
    The idea is to create the most interesting dirt route thru every state.
    As such paved sections are always needed and it is my understanding that N.M. has alot of gates and dirt routes that do not go thru.
    Compromised needed to happen to connect the best dirt sections and i'd guess that N.M. has more needed paved sections than other BDRs.
    I've watched those videos a few times and yes there are paved sections, but I see ALOT of sweet dirt roads in those first 2 videos.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The free .gpx file of the route usually is uploaded a few days before the DVD world premiere.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Actually Rob Watt & other guys go out and spend upwards of a year (look at my very 1st post) riding and testing different routes and ways thru.

Alot of time and $$$ is spent finding the most interesting dirt thru route for each BDR, not to mention all the time talking with locals in small towns & researching fuel stop/meals/POIs etc. Costs are over $40k per BDR and everyone gets a free .gpx from the project.

If you think those guys are just poaching other people's routes and slapping a ride together I'm here to tell you that is very far from the truth.
    WRW9751 and RustySpokes like this.
  5. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    eakins likes this.
  6. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    I will be happy to check it out whenever it is released, just going by what they say on their website:

"BDR will be releasing the Free GPS tracks of the NMBDR on their website in January 2016. The feature length NMBDR expedition film and the waterproof Butler Motorcycle Map will be released early Spring. Just in time to plan your NMBDR adventure."
    eakins likes this.
  7. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    I for one think the whole NMBDR crew accomplished a monumental task finding a complete entertaining route for dual sport. NM has a lot of challenges including lots of federal estate (not all of it open for travel), Native American reservation/pueblo lands, and private property. Bravo Zulu!
    eakins likes this.
  8. erigre

erigre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Come on, don't be delusional... Touratech gets advertising, Eakins sells his maps... The poor riders out there doing what they want to do getting used... nothing is free!

9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry I gave the impression that I thought the BDR guys poach other peoples ideas. I happily worked with Rob quite a bit on the NMBDR. I was delighted to send him many tracks and suggestions on what would make a good ride. And I suspect I will see quite a bit of what I provided in the final result.

I know him well and I rode with him on one of his scouting rides for the AZBDR. Other guys I ride with have also done the same thing. We are happy to share routes that we have found.

It is a shame that they have to go out and actually ride the route to verify it is suitable.

BTW I get about 80% of the tracks for rides I plan from other people's posted tracks. Mainly GPSXchange.com and dualsportmaps.com.
    eakins and Sledred like this.
  10. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having spent my entire life here in NM i fully understand. Thanks.
    eakins likes this.
  11. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    reading the description of the DVD included in the NMBDR map package:

"Feature length DVD (1 Disc). Plays in any DVD player. This exciting documentary gives you an in-depth look into the creation and first expedition of the AZBDR"

?? AZBDR ??

Whaaaaat?
    Is this a typo?
  12. goober noob

goober noob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    si, es verdad---es un "typo"
  13. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "It is a shame that they have to go out and actually ride the route to verify it is suitable."

I would think that may be one of the enjoyable aspects of creating the BDR's.
    :ricky:wings:raindance
    eakins likes this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you expect here man? There is no charge for the .gpx file to ride the route created.
    No one is twisting your arm to buy TT's gear nor our maps.

I know plenty of ADV riders who just download the .gpx file only and then go ride it.
    They've told me and it's all good.
    Other want support material and that is provided if people want to pay for it...but it's not necessary.

I know TT's return on investment is not there for the cost of each $40k+ BDR and thus they need to do fundraisers or this project would be over.
    The ultimate goal of this project is to create a whole web of dirt routes across the country and for all of us to explore and use OUR land.

Like Big Dog said if you can do better and provide a free .gpx go for it, but please don't come here and dog the concept or our desire to show others the best roads and routes in the country.
    KiloGraham, KHVol and lost alaskan like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Indeed everyone I've talked to who has gone out on the scouting/proving ride for each BDR says it's an awesome motorcycling experience as it's brand new. Even for the pre-scouting guys like Rob Watt and others, this is the first time the complete route is ridden in a 1 shot deal and thus a major accomplishment culminating almost a year of planning work.
    Bartimus likes this.
  16. erigre

erigre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eakins,

I really appreciate your maps, I have a couple. I love maps.

I wasn't so much slamming BD, I just thought he came in hot (from Illinois, this is the rockies) and slammed the guy saying the trailers showed a lot of road. Well, they did.

Maybe TT is not getting return on their investment, but I'm sure that's at least part of the idea. I mean, they are a business, so direct or indirect, they need to stay in business.

And I'm sure the riders pulled information from posts on this forum that were given totally free, no business involved at all. And I'm sure they did quite a bit of reconnoitering on their own and talked to locals to get info.

I've never done a BDR, but plan to and again, appreciate the efforts of all involved.

I do think this thread is borderline for placement in the Vendors thread since you are a Vendor. But I also understand you're local and this is a place to let us locals know what's going on.

Anyway, not slagging the efforts of any involved, for sure the opposite.

eakins likes this.
  17. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    In Dell City Texas (the start or end of NMBDR) is the neatest little cafe in town----the only cafe.
    It's called the Spanish Angels cafe.
    3 very nice Mexican gals who speak almost no English seemed to be running the place
    when I was there last year.
    Be sure and stop in and get a cup of coffee and some breakfast if the time is right.
    The place was full of ranchers and I never met so many friendly folks----I ended up talking to about everybody in there before I left. They were all full of questions about where I was going. I've spent all my life riding out West and the scenery and riding is always superb and the people so nice.
    Just Northeast of Dell City----is "BigDog" canyon---------I had to ride thru there of course.

The cafe.
    [​IMG]

This was parked out front of the cafe----and belonged to a rancher who helped me out greatly on my ride North from there. He lives by the cafe.

[​IMG]

North of Dell City toward BigDog Canyon------I could let my 690 loose.
    [​IMG]

It's gonna be a great ride for sure.
    I'm hopin' my buddies "BobBob" (Bob on Adv) and "Dingweeds" join me.
    [​IMG]
    craydds, Wansfel and eakins like this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Thanks for some start pics Mark!

I create a thread for each BDR for many purposes - announcement > updates > rider feedback/question zone.
    My goal with each of these threads is create a central place for those that have done the BDR & talk about it.
    Then those riders can help those who are planning on doing it.

The .gpx file is free, so I want everyone to grab that and go ride & talk about these routes!
    Butler Map's #1 goal has always been & will always be to show off all the great roads (paved & dirt) we are fortunate to have in this great country!
    Bartimus likes this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    We are kicking off the NMBDR Movie Tour on February 11 with a World Premiere in New York at BMW OF MANHATTAN MOTORCYCLES.
    This is a free event, but space is limited.
    RSVP your attendance directly with the dealership.

12523185_1142574989100517_6275983862482723198_n.jpg
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Got dirt?

11951967_1071167526241264_9107806122122368338_n.jpg

12004779_1083264165031600_4347566438855985514_n.jpg

12047055_1084648294893187_4633824309019165305_n.jpg

12109303_1090143857676964_1646770446807502732_n.jpg

12027527_1078573972167286_1121437657666441219_n.jpg
    craydds and Bartimus like this.