Next in the BDR series - NMBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Nov 7, 2014.

1. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    If you were on the blue 990 headed south, then yes. You were the only other bike I saw on the entire route. The bike I was on was a black 690 with fairing. I braked, hoping to chat with you, but then you boogied on past...
    Swashbuckler and flamingm0e like this.
  2. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah dude that was me. I thought the same thing. I thought you gave me the “one more coming” sign so I was going to stop for the second person. Didn’t see anyone else until 2 690’s near Chloride Canyon. 100% different than the CO and UT bdr where there are endless lines of other riders.
  3. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately after riding the BDR N-S finishing in Dell City at lunch I decided to head to Roswell for a much needed bday beer and hotel bed. Crossing into NM from TX and my front tube blew out. Sent me into a truck, down the highway, and landed me in the ER. Walked away just fine only with a bit of road rash. Probably totaled the 990. Got stuck in Carlsbad NM. There are no amenities there. Not the best place to be stranded. Got really lucky and had another adv rider respond to my FB Post requesting help. He drove 11 hours r/t from ABQ to pick the bike and me up, where I had my dad drive from Colo Springs to meet us in ABQ. Wasn’t the way I wanted to finish the NMBDR. :muutt

Outside of the crash I made a few notes about the NMBDR.
    1. It should be renamed the New Mexico BackCOWntry Discovery Route.
    2. Almost every single driver had no issues crossing into oncoming traffic. Explained the memorials lining every paved road, and strangely every forest road.
    3. I got a flat on a busy dirt farm road. About 6 cars dusted me, and one stopped and offered drugs.
    4. I decided to camp and grab a hotel as needed, but never found any hotels north of TOC.
    5. I would highly recommend camping above Salt Lake. Desolate and surprisingly beautiful.
    6. Conditions were 100% perfect!

E2379388-0EFC-4066-86EB-41B6374AA931.jpeg 0F581260-48AC-48DA-B449-A697A5C915A8.jpeg D8436726-09D0-4CD7-AA57-F85455F5779A.jpeg 42CB2FB4-F193-4763-8EA3-E6A0227C1269.jpeg
  4. KiloGraham

KiloGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple videos of a recent trip...

5. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spotted your 990 at Apex today while dropping off my AT, what a sad sight, glad you’re OK.
    Adventure Bound! likes this.
  6. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about doing a New Mexico Shadow of the Rockies - NMBDR loop late September. Does anyone have a good track from Antonio to Trinidad?
  7. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo Yep, ranked 49th.

Oddometer:
    I think that route be an all CO track and nothing with NM in it? Plus a large swath of land in that direction in North NM is private.
  8. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wasn’t the way I wanted to finish the NMBDR. :muutt

Outside of the crash I made a few notes about the NMBDR.
    1. It should be renamed the New Mexico BackCOWntry Discovery Route.
    2. Almost every single driver had no issues crossing into oncoming traffic. Explained the memorials lining every paved road, and strangely every forest road.
    3. I got a flat on a busy dirt farm road. About 6 cars dusted me, and one stopped and offered drugs.
    4. I decided to camp and grab a hotel as needed, but never found any hotels north of TOC.
    5. I would highly recommend camping above Salt Lake. Desolate and surprisingly beautiful.
    6. Conditions were 100% perfect!

Swashbuckler, sorry about your mishap and especially the potential loss of your bike. I hope you had insurance?? I guess you'll choose your sleeping position carefully for a while. I plan to start in Dell city around Sept 9th or 10th and have a couple questions. 1. Isn't most all of the NMBDR decent gravel roads? suitable for big bikes with hard cases? I have three options: Gobi hard cases, Caribou/Pelican Storm 2600's and Caribou Commando soft luggage. On decent terrain and spending many nights in motels I strongly prefer the hard cases but if it's a little rougher, the weight savings on the soft bags comes into play. What do you think?
    Next: Seems I saw somewhere that crossing Indian reservations or maybe some other place requires some kind of permit?? I can't seem to locate that bit of information.

Heal up!!! and hope you get that bike fixed!
  9. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Re: Permit to cross Res, needed on Navajo Res, on AZ BDR not NMDBR
  10. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of the stuff South near Alamogordo was pretty narrow in my opinion. Only did a little bit of it.

Otherwise everything to the north was good on a big bike with hard luggage. Make sure everything is tight before you got Chloride canyon or you will hear it rattling.
  11. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    Just saw your post. I did that route last year and got those tracks from Big Dog who had previously done it. Let me go back on my computer and see if I still have them.
  12. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d be interested in seeing those as well. Gathering fall trip ideas.
  13. randingo

Oddometer:
    I don’t seem to be able to cut and paste them here, so I’ll try a pm
  14. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Stills sounds and looks pretty bad. Just glad it was not any worse!
    Swashbuckler likes this.
  15. randingo

Oddometer:
    Since I can’t paste them here, PM me your email address and I’ll send them to you
  16. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    If you guys did the NM Shadow of the Rockies, I'd be interested in those tracks as well!
  17. Tigger's Toy

Tigger's Toy Beast Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Headed out to start in Dell City on the 29th of September. I’ll be solo but my old man will be creeping behind me in his zombie apocalypse mobile. We are going to camp a couple nights and hotel it up a couple of nights.

If anyone is out and about the 29 Sept - 4 Oct don’t hesitate to stop and say hey on the trail!
    Thunder-dog and Themastermike like this.
  18. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tigger, I'm on the trail now, presently in Alamogordo. 1. Dell city - gas at the NAPA store (and if you need, pick up some octane booster, gas is 86 octane here ant other places. 2. Sign the book at Spanish Angels Cafe. Note sign on Guadalupe Rim trail says "This is Cougar Country". 3. Tall Pines Campground is good to stay at near Weed. 4. White Sands Nat Monument is a neat detour, 13 miles SW of Alamogordo which is about 20 miles off the trail. 5. I'll be stopping in Conroe on my way home (my aunt lives there!) Have fun!
  19. Pinky

Pinky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting into prime NMBDR season now
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Much of NM and the west is BLM land which is also leased out for ranching. That's one of the reasons you can even ride it, cows are part of the deal, so are deer and antelope. Go to any of the western states that aren't coastal and you'll see the same thing. At least it's not all fenced off like most of the eastern US.

The culture here is such that crosses are placed anywhere someone had died on the road, the hispanic southwest is where that tradition started and the reason you see them more often in the SW, not because of the driving. I drive 20-30K miles a year throughout NM, west TX, AZ and CO, a good bit on dirt roads. I'd much rather drive here then in most other states and that includes all of them east of the Mississippi where I lived for many years.
    PYG RYDR, Sledred, dave6253 and 3 others like this.