Next in the BDR series - NMBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Temperature wise I think this is Perfect! It was miserably hot leaving Carlsbad a few days ago but dropped to about 90 on the Guadalupe Rim. Then, near Weed camping it was down to about 60. Yesterday I got stopped by mud near Cloudcroft but that's life! From Alamogordot day before, I watched a heavy lightening/rain storm dump on the area I was heading so it convinced me to spend another night in Alamogordo (bike repairs) and I choose whenever possible NOT to ride in lightening. I also avoided the sections labeled "Impassable when wet" and "Deep Sand". I'm solo on my loaded 990 and want to enjoy the country--not wear myself out digging/picking by bike up. Guadalupe Rain S.JPG Guadalupe Rim S.JPG Ready to GoSmall.JPG Rosita'sSmall.JPG Tall Pines Camp.JPG WSNM motorcycle S.JPG
  2. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo Yep, ranked 49th.

Oddometer:
    Wet and rainy in the north...
  3. Tigger's Toy

Tigger's Toy Beast Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thunder-Dog thanks for the info! I’m jumping off the trail (unfortunately) in Albuquerque because I can’t get as much time off as I would like.

I planned on camping on the a couple nights and hotel camping a couple of nights. The info on octain booster is a good tip.

Listen I’d be happy to meet up (in Conroe) and have a cup of coffee and you can give me a good map recon and tell me the tales of life on the NMBDR.

Travel Safe!
  4. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    I'll keep you posted, should be back in Conroe a few days before you depart. Yesterday was an interesting day - section 3, T or C to Reserve. Desert to grassy hills to forest but ran into some MUD, dropped the pig:muutt Also, at the recommendation of two "forest rangers" (without any forest) I did NOT do Chloride Canyon. Solo, close to 600# loaded 20190916_142714.jpg bike and not an expert (72yo) AND a downpour the previous day. Didn't get but a sprinkle but I guess from the day before some soft muddy 4wd tracks in the forest at this location. Muddy in area and if raining DON'T DO IT, cost me an hour. Otherwise, some very pretty country!
    Device: SPOT3
    Latitude: 33.40194
    Longitude: -108.34412

Attached Files:

Sledred and sceep like this.
  5. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    I guess I was lucky and caught a room at The Frisco Lodging Co. 575-533-6600. WiFi is unbelievebly slow but they do have some! I tried to post 4 pics but only 2 went through. AT&T also works (slowly)

Attached Files:

Tigger's Toy likes this.
  6. Tigger's Toy

Tigger's Toy Beast Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is good info. I will NOT be solo as my father will be behind me in his truck and meeting up with me at the end of each day. But the Beast is heavy, and like you I don’t want my L4/L5 to do anymore work than needed.

We are looking for scenic enjoyment and not hours spent with a shovel in hand a constantly picking up downed bikes!

We roll out the morning of the 28th to begin the journey. Safe travels, tail winds....
  7. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Missed connection :)

To the couple we met in Chloride Canyon today - we were the couple on the WR250Rs headed south. You were on a ktm990 and a ktm690 going north.

Now you know my adv handle. Send me a pm sometime, would love to have your contact and pick your brain about the Idaho bdr.

Also, you lied. You said it wasn't that bad the way we were going. it was too! That was hard! :p (we made it just fine:)

Glad you stopped to talk! We've seen so few adv riders this trip, we enjoyed meeting you.
  8. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We just finished riding 5 of 7 sections, N to S. (Out of time, need to head for home). This was a great time of year. Appreciate this thread in helping to prepare. We really enjoyed our time in NM.

Also, NM is definitely the "Bovine Discovery Route" :)

[​IMG]
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Those are the tame ones
  10. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We startled a few hiding in the shade behind the bushes beside the road. One of those suddenly appearing in front of you when you didn't even realize there were cows near the road will make you slow down.
    RideFreak likes this.
  11. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a considerate cow, hanging out by his sign.
    bigmo, Sledred, PYG RYDR and 2 others like this.
  12. frizzen

frizzen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's a her
    bigmo, sceep and redrock88 like this.
  13. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:

:lol3
    Whatever. Still yummy.
  14. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
    How many days y’all figure...Trinidad south on shadow of the Rockies to southern start of BDR and then back to Trinidad.
    randingo likes this.
  15. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It took us 5 days to ride sections 7 through 3 n to s on the nmbdr. We're not fast, and don't ride long days (typically 6-8 hours of riding a day). We had about 1/2 a day of delays in that time (weather and work support call). We skipped the southern part of section 6 and rode around on pavement (had some constraints requiring us to get to town, and didn't like that section). Hope that helps.

Edit: oh yeah, and we did the wolf sanctuary tour in candy kitchen. If you need to, you can definitely go faster than we did, but we enjoyed having time to explore.
  16. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Good to see you and Kevin doing the NMBDR!
    Am.E likes this.
  17. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode all of the COBDR too this trip. Highly recommend:)
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  18. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    3 days down SOR and 5 days on the BDR.....and that’s no lollygagging
    You might be able to knock a half day off each
    That’s was on WR250R’s
    We definitely didn’t do much sight seeing.....retired “type A” nut jobs
    I’m off on an rv trip with the wife right now, but when I get home (Sunday) to refer to my route, I can give you more detail
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  19. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I have SOR tracks and was figuring I could do it in 3. I like to ride so sometimes the sightseeing gets me behind my goal for the day.
  20. KiloGraham

KiloGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    redrock88, AtomicGeo and Am.E like this.