Next in the BDR series - NMBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Nov 7, 2014.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just saw four dual sport singles on the main street of T or C and the riders had helmets on but were wearing shorts and sandals. All the license plates I saw were from California. It's not unusual to see dual sport riders in T or C. Most are carrying a lot of baggage and dressed in protective riding gear. These guy weren't. This is the first time I've seen some riders that were traveling so lightly. Maybe they were just day riders and not on the NMBDR. Just a strange site.
  2. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Maybe taking a day off riding to visit the local brewery!
    wbbnm likes this.
  3. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree that is a first class activity but these guys were heading out of town. They were just an interesting sight.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe back to a camp site. Sure sounds like BDR guys taking time off or just going into town for a meal.
    Sledred, PYG RYDR and duggram like this.
  5. motobizon

motobizon n00b

Oddometer:
    We're going to be riding from T/C to Reserve this weekend (sections 3-4). I'm meeting two buddies coming from Mexico and I will ride from AZ to T/C to meet them. I hope that the section is as fun as the AZ BDR so I can convince them to keep coming for more BDR. It seems that it'll be a bit cold for camping but the weather during the day should be pretty good. I'm a bit nervous about the sandy parts as I will be riding a wee-strom but I am really excited to start hitting the NM BDR in sections.
  6. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    don’t remember any sand on that section.
    a lot of loose rock if you take the harder route from Winston to Reserve
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    True there is not much sand there. There might be some when you are actually doing the Chloride creek crossings.

I remember another short section in the Chloride creek leg somewhere around the Continental Divide crossing up on the ridges. It is only a few hundred yards long at the most, but is a bit on the nasty side. May be gone by now though.
  8. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Not much deep sand when we went thru there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sledred likes this.
  9. Bartimus

Bartimus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He's coming from Arizona, there is sand on the AZbdr if he takes sections of that to get to NM
  10. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    Just putting feelers out there. But how accurate is it that June and September are the best months for NMBDR? i have to request time off well in advance from work and want to increase my odds for a solid week.
    I’ve done the UTBDR in august of 2017 and lucked out with no rain.
  11. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    High country in the aftermath of a wet winter can still be challenging even in June, but usually clear. Monsoon season runs from June thru September. NM backcountry roads can be impassable because of mud during active monsoon.
    Lower altitude portions can be beastly hot during the height of summer. June and September are best to find a balance between passable high country and tolerable desert temps.
  12. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done the NMBDR in both May and June. I much preferred the May outing.

In the June adventure I endured 100+ degree temps and many reroutes due to fire activity.

You may luck out in September with fire and mud but my advice is your best bet is a May target date, low rain and low chance of fire activity.

Hope this helps!

Best,
    Andy
  13. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much guys. New bike has to stretch its legs!
  14. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Un-melted snow has made the last section to Antonito a no-go for the last 2 years until late May.
    If winter this year results in late snow, September is the safest time.
    We had to abort 2017 & 2018 attempts to reach Antonito in mid May.
  15. KiloGraham

KiloGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did it last year in mid June and thought it was perfect.
  16. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First week in June we historically flirt with 110°F for our daytime high in southern NM. The first week of July, the rains start and threaten our 4th celebrations but cool things down about 10°F too. In May the nights can still approach freezing at elevation. A little rain can firm up the sand making it easier to ride and keep the dust down. A lot of rain will have you mired in sticky mud, involved in a flash flood, waiting for better conditions or finding a drive-around. Whether a condition is deemed bad or good all depends on your level of preparedness. It can be life threatening if you're not prepared. It can be a truly unique and wonderful experience if you are.
    RideFreak and PYG RYDR like this.
  17. Pinky

Pinky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I personally think late September is the best time of the year for the NMBDR. Temps not as hot in the desert, but the high country isn't snowed in yet. Can get chilly at night, but that just means perfect temps during the day.
  18. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    September worked great for our trip in 18.
  19. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Second this...I did it in first week of October 17’ and it was gorgeous.