Next in the BDR series - NMBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Nov 7, 2014.

1. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a cooling vest I got from cycle gear. Soak is and it will give about 2 hours of evaporation cooling. It works great as long as you are moving. I keep it rolled up in a dry bag. I add water to the dry bag and let it soak. I wring out excess water as I remove it from the dry bag. There is usually enough water left in the dry bag to re-wet the vest a second time. I have in the past, stopped by a mountain stream and re-soaked it. I had to put a rock on it to keep it submerged. It take 15 to 20 minutes to get the vest to absorb enough water for a couple hours of cooling. I put it on over a synthetic t-shirt. Initially it feels clammy, but once moving it makes riding on 100F day tolerable.
    duggram likes this.
  2. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just pee on mine to recharge it.

I don't know why no one likes to ride with me.
    philthyphil and PYG RYDR like this.
  3. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh that smell!!! Now you tell us.
  4. jbean114

jbean114 4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul

Oddometer:
    Looking for a recent RR for Chloride Canyon. I did the NMBDR a few years back and that section was gorgeous. Only spot I remember being a little hairy was the steep climb after a sharp right turn out of the canyon. Will be heading there in a few weeks (weather permitting) as part of a larger tour. This time I'll be running CC West to East. Just curious if any inmates could share recent conditions. Thanks!
  5. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since moving here two years ago I ride Chloride Creek quite a bit. Went last Wednesday after a couple of days of monsoon rains. I expected a lot of mud but there wasn't much. There was a bit of water running down the two track which really didn't present much of a challenge. If you are concerned about that rough up hit, turn left into that depression, turn around and then ride up that hill from a straight shot. There is a little more rock exposure as you take that tight right which leads to some hilarious results. The rocks are a result of the recent erosion. If I was on a big bike that's what I would do. On the other side of that climb, from the cabin on is very good dirt road. There are some puddles but nothing too difficult. We got to talk to the rancher that runs his cattle on this land. He let us know there may be a closed gate now. Please close it after going through. It's a good time to ride CC because there's so much green.
    ridenm and wbbnm like this.
  6. jbean114

jbean114 4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Can’t wait to do that track again... one of the prettiest parts of the NMBDR IMHO. And Yeah, I used that left-then-right run up trick when I rode that the first time. :)
  7. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about doing this BDR in September since 'old' Mexico just isn't going to be in the cards this year. I have the map, and from what I can gather it's among the more remote BDRs, which bodes well for doing it during a pandemic. I'd be solo on a 690, and would like to keep to myself for the trip.

Questions for the group:

I've never dispersed camped before, but it sounds like it's plentiful on this BDR. Anything to keep in mind when doing this? Any issues with water availability, or should I plan on stocking up at gas stations?

I've read it's one of the easier BDRs. I'm an OK rider, and really only seem to get out of sorts when trying to pick my way through boulder fields. Should I have any concerns? Are there easy options I should definitely plan on taking?
  8. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're on National Forest lands, dispersed camping is allowed in the areas indicated on the Motor Vehicle Use Map for that particular Forest or Ranger District. Dispersed camping areas are marked by little dots on either side of the route on the map, and there will be a table that lists the distance from the centerline of the road that camping is allowed. I have never heard of anyone getting a citation for camping in the wrong spot, but it could happen. Having the MVUM is the easiest way to avoid the issue. September is usually not a fire restriction time, but this is 2020, the year from hell. Just check for restrictions and weather forecasts before you make plans.
    Do not expect to find safe water along the route. Replenish whenever you stop for supplies, fuel, whatever.
  9. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    And keep an eye out for hunters.
  10. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really good point. Later in the day is better, but some hunters are going to be PO'ed at your noise anyway.
    duggram likes this.
  11. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Most of em don't get too far from camp.
    duggram likes this.