1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Next in the BDR series - NVBDR

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by eakins, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck and stay safe.
  2. Outdoor_Girl

Outdoor_Girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just coming to post about the closure, glad you beat me to it and good luck with all the livestock! One update, the forest has expanded the closure for the entire Mtn City/Jarbidge portion of the district so the Charleston Rd is now closed.
    rjnutt likes this.
  3. Champ57u

Champ57u Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like Jarbidge & surrounding areas are closed off now...loosely based off my interpretation of the forest service post on FB an hour ago
    dcwilcox and rjnutt like this.
  4. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update! Hope you continue to keep yourselves safe out there!
  5. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
  6. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
  7. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving friday for the NVBDR, please keep this page updated.
  8. Parx400

Oddometer:
    For anyone who is going the ride when you get to ELKO you are pretty close to the old NV tat route. That's going to be my backup.
  9. Outdoor_Girl

Outdoor_Girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The inciweb page seems to be down. I just contacted someone about it so hopefully it will be back soon. The newspaper this morning was reporting that the fire perimeter was within 15 miles of the town of Jarbidge. I just heard directly from the forest supervisor 10 minutes ago that the fire is nearing containment and as long as we don't have any strong winds in the next few days it will hopefully be out soon. I work for the forest so I'll post any updates regarding the closure as I receive them. Hwy 225 is back open with the warning to keep moving on through and don't stop due to the risk of rolling fires and to be careful of debris.
    Little Bike, Parx400 and worncog like this.
  10. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    They knocked the crap out of it yesterday. Bombers were up at first light this morning so if the weather holds they should have a good handle on it in the next few days.
  11. Parx400

Oddometer:
    Any Updates?
  12. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    It is pretty much contained and in mop-up. You will be fine on the BDR. Although the forest closures haven’t been lifted, they never shut down the Charleston/Jarbidge Rd. Talked to a FS employee and they expect the forest closures to open up soon.

Kudos to all the firefighters, especially the volunteers from the North Fork VFD who with a skeleton crew backfired along Gold Creek Rd. basically saving our cows and a lot of game habitat.
  13. Outdoor_Girl

Outdoor_Girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They just lifted a portion of forest closure order so the forest around the route (and the campgrounds) are now back open. The western portion of the forest where the fire was located is still closed. The closure map isn't up on the Humboldt-Toiyabe website yet but it is on the forest's facebook page and on Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/6166/47108/
    worncog likes this.
  14. Outdoor_Girl

Outdoor_Girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it's not one thing it's another, just can't win this week! Now there's a fire over by the Ruby Mtns near Lamoille Canyon which is one of the scenic detours/discovery points near the end of Segment 5/beginning of Segment 6. Won't affect the actual route, just don't take any detours to Lamoille Canyon due to the Owl Creek Fire.

No major changes to the South Sugarloaf since Wednesday's posts. They're getting it mopped up and the only closures are still way west of the route.
    dcwilcox and worncog like this.
  15. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180911_075724075_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20180911_112749670_HDR.jpg Met my two riding partners in Oatman. One on a Tenere and the other on a Dakar. We didn't roll out till after 9 and the fun started after Christmas tree pass. I'm very much a completionist. So after that first sandy section they wished me the best of luck and would meet me at the pavement. Started out fine but hit a really deep sandy section. And got stuck a tad. I called for some assistance but was able to get free before Nick on the Dakar arrived. We both pushed our way out and made it the rest of the way through that part. But he didn't want to go in any more sand that day. I made it through the next sandy part after SharePoint with flying colors and they bypassed the railroad tracks to Primm. I tired to keep up with the train to no avail. We arrived in Primm exhausted and hot. Gonna leave earlier tomorrow morning and hope to complete the rest of section 1 into 2.
    Anything to be aware of (other than the heat)?
    rjnutt and KiloGraham like this.
  16. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ thanks for the update . . . the sand looks pretty nasty!
    Kent Glasscock likes this.
  17. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Day 2, some sand, a section of deep gravel.
    Rips Millar and dcwilcox like this.
  18. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    I know what they say about standing on the pegs and throttle out and it does work. That part of the washout was in a dip area and didn't give it enough. Down i went. Had to push the bike over, turn it around, unload, and got it picked up. Not so fun in 98 degree weather. Could always be worse. You'll know the part when you see it.
    dcwilcox likes this.
  19. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Went from Primm to Beatty today. The ride to Goodsprings is sort of your power line road with dips, and rocks, and sand. The route to Pahrump isn't too bad but does have some soft areas where myself and my friend on the Tenere took a spill. Ash Meadows road, Devil's Hole road, and Fairbanks road are good with a little deep gravel in spots but nothing crazy. Steve's pass into Beatty is a mother with that washout. Deep gravel for a good spell with some drops and stucks. But we helped each other out. The view from the tower is great and it's smooth downhill sailing into Beatty. Get yourself a cheeseburger and a draft of PBR at the Happy Borro. Exchange club motel is across the street.

Attached Files:

20. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that gravel section sucked!
    MtnTrailRider likes this.