1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Next in the BDR series - NVBDR

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by eakins, Apr 29, 2016.

1. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While the gravel section sucked I learned a lot about riding deep gravel on my heavyweight Tenere. It is not deep sand friendly with current 80/20 Shinko 705 setup. Standing the pegs and pulsing the throttle was the key to riding the gravel.
    Little Bike likes this.
  2. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. Totally agree. I think it's just the fear of such a heavy bike going down with it possibly on you is a natural fear. I'd be the same way. That sand and gravel will take you places
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    RonSJC and Little Bike like this.
  4. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Made it to Tonopah. Weather was cooler and made for a nice day. Hung out with Walt in Goldpoint. The washout down in the valley after Goldpoint where you climbout is very bad. I wouldn't say impassable but you may need help. I think it's worse than last year. It appears they made another road literally up the hill from it. It's like right beside it but higher. So we just took that after scouting. Car Forest was cool and staying at the Jim Butler motel. Get some great pizza at anytime pizza. They have beer. Sit in the back room. It's nuts out front.

Attached Files:

Little Bike and dcwilcox like this.
  5. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of what the old road/route now turned DRAINAGE ditch look like from the new road that everyone is now using. This section should be avoided and is a very real hazzard! If you had a light, unloaded dirtbike with plenty o power you might try it but not sure why since the road has turned drainage ditch and a perfectly good work around put in. This part of the route should be modified by the BDR folks to save riders some time and grief. Above all, using good judgement as conditions change due to erosion damage. The new road is great and approx 1 mile before the washout and bypasses several washed out sections of the road. The old route in the picture is shown below the graded road in the picture.

Attached Files:

readydualsport likes this.
  6. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great intel Kent!
    Kent Glasscock likes this.
  7. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Made it to Austin. First part of the ride had some wild horses and one drop at a washout. There's a neat area into Belmont. Looks like it's used mostly for Razrs. "Town" of Belmont isn't much but nice folks. Check out the gem store there. Lady is very friendly and wants bikers to sign her book.
    First 20 miles through the sage isn't too much fun. Deep sand areas and about a mile past the old stone barn, a washout with a nice drop is there so avoid that. The rest is good. Kingston has a nice saloon there and the ride from there to Austin is great. If you want, there is a water crossing off the path that I took. You'll see it on the right. Austin is very small. Have three motels. All had signs for no vacancy because there is a geothermal construction thing being done in the area. I found a room at the Lincoln Inn. The last one. Many camp in the area. That's what my friends did. Recommend the Silver State for food and beer(s). Good dudes here.
    Section 5 has an advanced section. Does anyone know about this section?

Attached Files:

Little Bike and dcwilcox like this.
  8. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got to ride with 4 wild mustangs on the way to Austin and just happened to capture it on gopro. Totally made my day. Riding through North Umberland pass was my favorite area so far on this section. Here is a still image from that video! 6377E7ACA7FEEB55107D161B65306C8D.jpg
  9. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Left a little after 8 and arrived in Elko at 430. 220 miles is very doable and that included the advanced section. Along with the hard packed gravel roads there are no towns to go through. The advanced section is very doable. It's 23 miles but I'd say maybe 5 is advanced. Get your photo at the pony express post and be careful going down. Big issue was wind and the second is fire (no earth). Right after Bailey pass. You could see the brushfire. The route took us around it but once your off the expert section, we were in the smoke for the next 30 miles. You also go along the longest fence section I've ever seen. Once we got through all of that, we were good to go. Tomorrow, we will see about section 6. Advanced section is planned also

Attached Files:

dcwilcox likes this.
  10. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think hitting a drainage washout at speed or picking a path through the rocks qualifies as the earth.
  11. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    And we completed the NVBDR. This is the 6th one I've done and I'd argue the most challenging. You start out about 25 miles of pavement before hitting dirt. Right there is the "no trespassing" sign. This was posted before so I'm assuming the BDR folks haven't updated this yet. After that we hit the first obstacle with the muddy bottom that myself and Nick were able to make across with not much difficulty but the Tenere didn't quite make it. So off come the panniers and a couple of pushes and done.
    The Humboldt crossing was more of a challenge. If you followed the track you would easily drown your bike. The shallower parts that some pics and vids we're done last year arent the same now. The embankment is too steep to cross. We found a section to the right slightly to cross that was about two feet deep with solid ground. But we then had to push the bikes along the embankment to were we could make it up. It was also sandy. The whole process took an hour.
    After this, the challenge section was nice with some sandy uphills. Just keep the throttle going. We came through and it was smooth sailing into Jarbidge to a beer and a sandwich. Thankful for my two partners whom I just met on this trip.

Attached Files:

Little Bike likes this.
  12. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:

Here is the video of the Humboldt river crossing. Gives you an idea of the depth.
  13. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the assists during the trip! The Tenere was definitely a challenge during to navigate all the obstacles. It is a heavy bike for sure and I wouldn't have done the route to completion without help. You are a great rider which shows with how little you dropped it during the trip. It was great riding with you! Have a safe journey home.
    readydualsport and dcwilcox like this.
  14. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Kent Glasscock
    Thanks a ton for the route report & updates! I'll be riding N to S with @worncog next week, we are due to meet-up in Jarbidge on Saturday.

dcw
  15. Kent Glasscock

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Bike is in the van and ready to depart. You handled the Tenere well. Just put some 50/50s on there and your good to go.
  16. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That and I'm going to figure out what gear I can leave to loose some of the overall weight. I learned a lot about riding that beast on this trip. Maybe I need to get a support Jeep! :D
    Probably go with a lighter bike.
  17. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our little trip. Sections in the middle are all NVBDR. We had our own route to get to tonopah from sac then we did some of the NV TAT to get home

<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">BROKAR18</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user58686018">Rich</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Bonnie & Clyde and catfish like this.
  18. worncog

Oddometer:
    IMG_4121.JPG

The fesh fesh in section 4 got me. Or more specifically, the hardened mud ruts under the fesh fesh got me. Never saw this one coming. We made it to Tonopah coming from the north before bailing off the route. Just north of Tonopah I had a get-off in a deep sand section. The get-off was seemingly minor till my chest compressed my camera into the sand and... crack goes a rib. I know. Rookie mistake, but we were shooting pics of wild horses not long before and I forgot to stow it properly. I'll be back for the lower sections in the late winter.
  19. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Boy, that is a familar site. You are riding along all nice and on good surface and then...bam...it just switches to deep sand and grabs your front wheel and down you go. Had more than my fair share of pick ups on NVBDR due to sand. I really started letting more air out which helped a lot. That bike sure looks like my Super Tenere taking a dirt nap. What kind of bike is it?
  20. worncog

Oddometer:
    Yup, it's a Tenere. My bike was on the ground a few times during those ten BDR days. I'm short, so low speed drops off road are not uncommon but NVBDR I had three moderate speed get-offs that were quite surprising. Two were fesh fesh related and the third was a 'I went left when the best line was right' in deep sand scenario.

I had originally planned on completing sections 6 through 2, but the cracked rib sent me to the ropes early. Still had to ride 2000 miles home after getting out of the dirt, so I had to make a good choice.

I enjoyed sections 4, 5, & 6 of the NVBDR, which included seeing two herds of wild horses, a golden eagle at less than 10 feet, and a lone wolf running across a low grass plateau right in front of me. Those were the critter highlights, but the changing geography was amazing too. Except the mud-rutted fesh fesh... you can keep that shit. :)
    readydualsport likes this.