1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Next in the BDR series - NVBDR

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by eakins, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Having owned a tenere that is a lot of work.
  2. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How did the mud crossing and Humbolt crossing on section 6 go with the Tenere? That's cool that you saw the horses on section 4. I got some good video of a pack of 4 crossing about 40 feet in front of me.
  3. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    We got some intel from two fellas that just finished and with me heavy and my compadre short on 'water crossing' experience, and it was late in the day, we opted to slide past the Humbolt crossing. I was easy to convince as I had just ripped across the plain from Wild Horse and made the sketchy descent down 751 aka Deer Creek Grades Road. By the looks of things, the bypass was not a bad idea.
  4. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of doing the northern part of the NVBDR and part of the IDBDR in the spring, coming over from the SF Bay area in California. I don't know Nevada weather. What would the window be between winter and Too Hot?
  5. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode section one of the IDBDR and sections 6, 5, and 4 with worncog (he also rode the IDBDR the week before) the last week of September . . . I think early to mid September would be really good for IDBDR and the northern NVBDR! The NVBDR map suggest splitting the route to do the southern section in the spring and the northern section in the late summer or early fall to avoid extreme temps.
  6. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yes, that time sounds good; but my wife gets September next year because I used Sept/Oct this year on the UTBDR (however, rained/frozen out except for first 2 days). That's why I was looking at the early season.
  7. Champ57u

Champ57u Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curious if anyone who has completed this BDR would be willing to do a Skype interview about your experience for a podcast? Would be a good listen for those who are wanting to go in the future.
  8. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've think I read on the earlier parts of this thread that the snow doesn't leave the northern section until July in most years. The 8200' pass gets covered good with snow and doesn't open up till then. Second week in September is when we went. Temps were in the 90s on southern sections. Northern sections were 34 degrees in the morning and mid 80s by noon. Nevada is an extreme environment and definitely a ride to wear layers. Like the map says, spring is ideal for the southern sections. Not sure when rain hits but I know there are parts that would be a mess if water was in the mix.
  9. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Correct. There is definitely a lot of variation from the valleys to the passes. It is not unusual to be burning up in the valleys then hit a pass with snow and mud blocking the way into the Summer. If possible, I always find Fall to be the better time for this kind of trip. Mud has dried up and any snow will be new and hopefully not packed into drifts. FWIW
    rjnutt likes this.
  10. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    ***Cross post from the CA BDR - but different crowd.***

Hey guys - have not really dove into the posts yet. Open to comments.
    Need to get away from the 5+ feet of snow in my back yard, so a buddy and I are flying into Reno in April, grabbing a couple of 1090's and doing the southern half of the NV BDR, dash over to the new CA BDR and run it fully.

We're experienced BDR riders (we've ridden all but two) and camp off the bikes - so no worry about hotel logistics etc.. I'm probably the opposite of the average ADVRer - I load my routes, toss my maps in the pocket and just hit it. We sort out the details enroute and always have an amazing ride!

Plan is early morning departure from Reno and direct shot to Tonopah, NV. Hook up there on the BDR and finish it south in 2.5 days. We'll head west below Laughlin, run around Dead Mountains WA and catch the CA BDR at the start and head north. Four days ok for the CA BDR - two guys running a decent pace?

Dumb questions from a guy that lives in Canada lol - is all of the southern NV BDR and all of the CA BDR doable in late April? We're experienced navigators (heck, I'm a map maker by trade), so reworks are easy. Just trying to know what to expect.

Open to any must sees along the way - must do's etc.. We carry food, but try to eat as little freeze dried food as possible. Any issues finding ample food along the way every 2-3 hours?

Thanks!
  11. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a blast. Even though CA has gotten pounded with snow this year, by April all but the higher elevations should be cleared out. You may have to make some small adjustments at the end of the CABDR depending on where you're heading out to from there. I wouldn't plan on heading more north from the end of CABDR. Probably blow east through Death Valley so you can get back to Reno on the Nevada side.
    bigmo likes this.
  12. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Remember to call ahead at Gold Point to inquire about fuel availability. It’s the only fuel stop between Tonopah and Beatty. No fuel in Goldfield I think?
  13. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trying to make a good loop incorporating the northern half of the CABDR and the chunk of the NVBDR between Goldfield and Beatty.

Will be there at the end of April (easter weekend).

Question 1) What's the best route to take between Benton and Goldfield? Or should I join the NVBDR above Goldfield somewhere?

Question 2) Is the offroad section just southeast of Beatty worth doing if I have the time?

Thanks in advance.

nvbdr benton to goldfield.jpg

(oops I just realized that I drew Lippencutt road too far north. Please forgive my inability to color within the lines)
    Davethestick likes this.
  14. XR-Trev

XR-Trev n00b

Oddometer:
    Any idea if this route is passable in May? No idea how to figure out if there is snow there. I'd like to avoid snow if possible. I'm thinking about doing the whole route next month
  15. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    I would think May might be just a bit early for the section just south of Jarbidge. At least this year anyway.
  16. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked the section leading up to Beatty. There is a long, deep gravel wash that is a pain, but I thought the rest was fun. Ymmv.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  17. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    I was in Wildhorse yesterday, which is a little west of Jarbidge, and it was still a winter wonderland. A couple people were ice fishing on the reservoir! Mountains between there and Jarbidge/Coon Summit were very white. I don’t see Coon Summit/bear Pass being open until June. I think it is snowing up there again today...
  18. shrunken

shrunken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone planning on doing any riding around Gold Point anytime soon? I was up there at the beginning of the month and didn't realize my toolkit snapped off until I got home to Phoenix. I'm pretty sure I know the 4 mile stretch right out of Gold Point that I lost it on, I hit some pretty heavy bumps headed back into town.
  19. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Gold Point May 4th coming in from North to South on the NVBDR
  20. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I are flying into Reno, grabbing rental KTM 1090's and heading east to the BDR. We're going to pick it up just north of Tonopah (just north of Red Peak I think). Plan is to run it south almost to the end (or beginning I guess) grab the southern end of the new CA BDR and come back north on it.

We'll hit the trail this time next week. Anything to be on the lookout for?

I expect temps to be all over the place from 40ish at night at elevation to north of 100 in Death Valley. Should be a pretty epic trip!

We plan on camping the whole time, but may spring for a cheap motel if we need to clean gear. As a duo, we typically make about 250 miles a day on BDRs. Sometimes 300 if nothing goes wrong...our whole route is about 1600 miles, so it should keep us on our toes!