1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Next in the BDR series - NVBDR

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by eakins, Apr 29, 2016.

1. shrunken

shrunken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well if you're interested and taking a look for me I'm pretty sure it fell off between these two points, this section isn't on the BDR but runs almost parallel and connects at Gold Point. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37....-117.4290489,11209m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0
    The tools are in one of these and it has AMA stickers on the top part of the cap. If found you could just give it to Walt the bar owner and he can probably send it off to me. Thanks for any help.
  2. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I’m going to be right there. I’ll write myself a note to go look. I’ll be spending a lot of time with Walt and Herb so no problem. Since that’s not a main route into Gold Point maybe it’ll be there.
    shrunken likes this.
  3. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Bigmo,

I just went from Tonopah to Beatty on Saturday.

There is a short stretch of washed out road that you'll be able to work around if you are comfortable riding in a deep sand wash. I'll post more details from a computer tomorrow.

There is also a long dead straight section that I'd recommend skipping, it burns a lot of time and there is a high likelihood of getting a flat thru there.

Again I'll give you the scoop tomorrow on both those sections.

Are you picking up the CABDR in Yuma or further north? Let me know where and I'll give you some time estimates.

250-300 miles/day will be tough, and you'll miss ALL of the sights along the way. 180-200 is a lot more realistic, and will be a lot more fun. I can give you the scoop on what to hit and what to skip.

Also what tires will be on the 1090s? You'll need something pretty aggressive.
    bigmo and dino702 like this.
  4. Lost Cartographer

Oddometer:
    @bigmo

GOING NORTH TO SOUTH FROM TONOPAH TO BEATTY

1) The road is completely washed out from:

37.366185, -117.540829
    To
    37.356790, -117.529762

There is an easy go around that has been graded, but what’s the fun in that?

Fun way - just go past original old road about 30 or 40 feet where the grader pushed some debris off the road, then head down towards the wash about 20 more feet.

I built a rock cairn at the spot where you need to make a hard left.

Follow the tracks down the wash.

I can’t take credit for finding the route, there were 2 sets of dirt bike tracks thru there that I followed.

2) I'd recommend skipping the straight long section from Bonnie Claire to Beatty. It's a 1 hour section of dead straight 2 track, it's not a whole lot fun. The chances of getting a flat are high. My rear shock completely and utterly faded to thru there, was riding a pogo stick. 2016 Africa Twin with stock garbage suspension.

BUT

The route from Beatty thru Rhyolite and a little west of there is great.

I'd recommend hopping on the road to Beatty (30 minutes) then heading westbound thru Rhyolite and keep going until you get bored; then come back the same way.

nvbdr tonopah to beatty.jpg

The washed out way is a lot of fun -- do it:

nvbdr wash out.jpg

It's tempting, but don't go this way:

IMG_20190420_162245.jpg

Or you'll find this 4+ foot dropoff:

IMG_20190420_163155.jpg

Once you go around the first washout you'll find this, but you can squeeze around it:

IMG_20190420_164129.jpg
    bigmo, 2 SPOT and dino702 like this.
  5. Lost Cartographer

Oddometer:
    Also I'd recommend budgeting 1 hour for Goldfield and 1 hour for Gold Point. Lots of cool stuff to check out:

IMG_20190420_140716~01.jpg

IMG_20190420_132838~01.jpg

IMG_20190420_142207.jpg

IMG_20190420_171038.jpg
  6. shrunken

shrunken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I kinda see your point on skipping this straight section, but I still feel it's still better than the hwy. It's got lots of up and downs and oh shit moments to keep you on your toes.
  7. Lost Cartographer

Oddometer:
    Normally I 100pct agree with you- I try to stay off of the pavement as much as possible...

BUT

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have traded that 30 minutes of riding for 30 minutes at Gold Point.

I can ride desert 2 track anytime; seeing an entire ghost town in the middle of nowhere is something unique.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  8. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    Wow, great info mb300 - thanks!
  9. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    Here's the route we're doing (link is good for only a few days):

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20190423173631-18200-gmap.html

We're running southeast out of Reno (mostly dirt) and picking up the NV BDR. We'll actually cross over at Beatty and pick up the CA BDR there and take it south. At the bottom, we'll grab the NV BDR back north, back to Beatty, then cross back into the CA BDR and finish there. There is still some snow on the CA route...hoping it's cleared by the time we get there. Basically a big figure 8.

Should be epic!
    Lost Cartographer, dino702 and rjnutt like this.
  10. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    You will need to confirm fuel at Gold Point with Walt. There is no “fuel station” at Gold Point
    bigmo likes this.
  11. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Gold Point now has 3000 gallons of mid-grade fuel available for purchase. Ask Walt at the bar and he'll fill you up.

No prior arrangements needed unless you want to phone ahead to make sure he'll be there when you are.