Next in the BDR series - UTBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Aug 13, 2011.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t remember where I saw it but it seems like there was a group of riders doing a trip in Mid June. They were inviting all riders to join. If I come across it again I’ll share the link.
  2. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding the UTBDR solo is not that big of a deal, on a small bike. Depends on what you are riding, our guys on the GSs were down often, and needed help picking them up!
  3. jhax

jhax "No matter where you go, there you are" BB

Oddometer:
    What type of bike are you on? Lasalle Pass has gotten pretty knarly and I guess Snow Flat. I rode it solo 5 years ago but ran into some guys last fall in Moab who had a couple of serious injuries. They were on big bikes though. Were you planning on the riding the easier portions or the difficult route? Harts is also tough ona big bike. I was on a F650 GS Twin. Lasalles and Abajo's had a ton of snow this year, I'd wait till June.
  4. JemmyOtis

JemmyOtis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I am on a WR250R and ride solo most of the time, including the New Mexico BDR last year. I'd be taking the expert routes, not too concerned about that beyond the concerns every solo rider should have. I asked about solo riders more for experiences, tips, etc., and to learn about trail conditions. That was really helpful when I did New Mexico.
  5. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    I've ridden the Utah BDR twice in September on a wr250r and ktm500 and had wonderful times.
    I just finished (April 6-13) riding in Moab for a week. We had a blast and rode ~10 different gpsKevin rides.
    Snow was significant at 8500 feet and above so we were limited on a few rides. My guess is in another month it will be gone.

There is a great deal of snow in northern Utah now. Ski season has been extended in several places.
    The northern section of the BDR will likely have snow in June.
    If you don't mind creating alternative routes, I would go and see how far you get.

Southern Utah is worth spending a whole week riding in, never mind riding for a week in Moab alone.
    Remember though June-August gets really hot in southern Utah.

As a solo rider you might consider the usual, InReach/EPIRB/PLB/Airmedcare
    Two years ago one of our buddies crashed on a big bike coming down La Sal pass and dislocated his hip.
    Airmedcare was there quickly and airlifted him to the trauma unit in Grand Junction. Their annual fee is ~$65 and worth considering.
    The other piece of advice I would offer is to carry a minimum of 4 liters of water. Utah is dry and in many places has no shade.
    I did a podcast last fall with Jon Bever from Bend MC on the Colorado and Utah BDRs:
    https://podtail.com/podcast/bend-mo...odcast/episode-007-the-motorcycle-adventurer/

Carry a gps and extra fuel. gpsKevin made a Utah BDR chip for our ride last year that makes the BDR a circle (ARC = adventure riding circle). It starts and ends in Mexican Hat and has a number of additional 'out and backs' that make the ride interesting (eg Muley Point). The days are long but you have route choices and bail outs if the day gets away from you.
    DCrider and JemmyOtis like this.
  6. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What’s the Kevin made GPS your talking about. Sounds interesting. I’m going to attempt the BDR in late June but I’ll bentsking my wife and a kids and it will be in my Jeep. Not on a bike unfortunately.
  7. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    gpsKevin has made some 'best of BDR' routes for Colorado and Utah and a few other states.
    Several years ago I rode the Utah BDR using his 'best of Utah BDR' that starts in Mexican Hat and ends in Bear Lake Utah at the Idaho border.
    The following year I asked him if we could modify the route to stop at the Wyoming border and provide a return route that included some interesting riding not covered by the ride 'north bound'. He created a route that accomplished this in the week long time frame (Sat-Sunday). He likely still has the route though I don't see it now on his web site.
    You might contact him if you are interested and he will likely make it available to you. He has go arounds for some of the difficult sections that would be helpful if you are in a jeep and with family. If you want my tracks let me know and I'll see if I can find them.
  8. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Starting from Mexican Hat on the 24th of June. Does anyone know I good place to keep my van there while I ride? Getting ready to check out some of the lodging places there now and see if I can line up something. BTW, is anyone planning on going around these dates?
  9. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    There is a campground in or near Mexican Hat that friends have used to store vehicles and liked it.

You might consider Colorado first because of weather and Utah second. I have done them that way those weeks twice back to back and had a great time.

Add an extra day in Moab to ride the white rim trail. Add an extra day in ouray or so to ride the passes.
  10. HighDrag

HighDrag Low speed, high drag - that's how I roll!

Oddometer:
    I’m adding Utah to my growing list of BDRs this year. So far I have ridden NM on a TW200 and CO on a KLR. This year I am riding my WR250r. Leaving from Cloudcroft, NM on June 3rd and riding portions of NMBDR until I cut over to UT. I should hit the route by the 5th or 6th. I usually ride solo but if anyone is interested in riding together please let me know and see if we can get together for all or part. My style of adventuring is usually to camp most nights, but hit a motel every few days for a shower and a little sink laundry, and grab dinner and a beer. But I’m flexible.
    WoodrowBDR likes this.
  11. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might run into us. 2 ATs, Klr and maybe a DR
    HighDrag likes this.
  12. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    Just returned from another week in Moab (May) on little bikes. Snow about 8500 is mostly gone. Trails have dried out and not much mud was present. If you are riding the Utah BDR, I would suggest you skip Lockhart basin and ride La Sal pass instead. Lockhart is fine on little bikes but not as spectacular as the White Rim. I would suggest an extra day in Moab to ride the White Rim trail as it is the best one day ride I've done anywhere. In particular, I would suggest you ride it from Moab, up Long Canyon over Pucker pass, across the mesa and down Mineral Canyon to the Green River and then continue on the white rim trail (WRT) counter clockwise. It is about 160 miles and a long day but not too technical. Lunch at Murphy's Hogback for fun and be sure to stop at Musselman arch for pictures. I would finish by riding UP Shafer trail and back down Pucker pass/Long canyon and back into town. The National Park Service requires free WRT passes that are available the day before online and I"ve always gotten them.
  13. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since my original plan was to do the UTBDR and COBDR together starting at the end of this month south to north. I found out that the Cottonwood Pass in CO won't be opened until August because of the all the snow up there. So, I'm pushing them both back to start the UTBDR in mid August. Which I know it's doable but its going to be hot. And the plan is to do LB. I'll be on my DR. So not a heavy bike but it can become that when you drop it a few times. And there are the dangers doing that in the heat. Coming from NC, its much more expensive for me to do the UTBDR now and the COBDR later when they are right beside each other. I can stay at the KOA in Cortez and you would pay $30 at the storage facility to keep your vehicle while you're gone. There is also a Four Season Motel in Blanding that said I could keep my van there as well (provided you stay there an evening of course). Mexican Hat appears to not have anything that I could see to keep my van (and from my conversations with the motels there). If anyone is interested in part or both hit my up a PM. I'll continue to post here and there as I get closer just to bump the thread cause I would love to have a riding partner and I know I'm not the only one that is going by myself. Please submit some updates for those that are starting now. Thanks and be safe.
  14. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    For all folks reading this thread, I would encourage you to consider skipping Lockhart Basin and take the La Sal mountain route instead AND then spend an extra day in Moab Utah so you can ride the White Rim Trail (WRT). The WRT is much more scenic and spectacular than Lockhart Basin and a good deal more fun. I would suggest riding the WRT counter clockwise from Moab by taking Long Canyon to the top of Canyonlands, across Canyonlands mesa, down Mineral Bottom canyon to the Green River, ride the WRT to Musselman arch and then UP Shafer trail to the top of Canyonlands and back to Moab. It is a long beautiful day (160 miles) so plan for gas and plenty of water and lots of stops for pictures.
    Proud Highway likes this.
  15. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    @keithmckenney Is this suggestion for both small and big bikes? Another Q, do folks pretty much avoid riding the UTBDR and associated trails around Moab in the heat of the summer as it's just too dang HOT/potentially dangerous? I ask as the only time I can likely go this year is mid-July.
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    DCrider likes this.
  17. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please scan this thread for the answers you seek. Lots of folks have spent many keystrokes writing about this for folks to discover.
    Cheers
    DCrider likes this.
  18. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    Yes, most folks avoid southern Utah in June-July-August because it is hot. July ave high = 99, Aug ave high = 96.
    That said, it isn't DC heat. It is really dry and much more pleasant. If that is the only time you have to go and you want to ride the Utah BDR, go for it. Start early (sunrise) and plan for plenty of water and you will have a great time. Take a small tarp in case you get stuck in the desert and need shade. I wear Klim Badlands jacket/pants and am comfortable in Utah heat as long as we are moving.
    DittyBag, Liberator and DCrider like this.
  19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the feedback Keith. Yes riding around the mid-Atlantic area when it's 98F and tons of humidity is not much fun either at times. Surprised I've not run into you around the DC area, or maybe I have but not realized it, when I am able to get out on the DRZ it's usually in the NFs in VA and WV.
  20. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Small world, DCrider, have similar concerns as buddy and I are doing Western TAT and breaking off to the northern sections of UTBDR after Moab in early/mid August to avoid those southern deserts in Utah and Nevada border.
    DCrider likes this.