1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Next in the BDR series - UTBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Aug 13, 2011.

1. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    I don't have a gpx file for that but it is well marked on most maps around Moab and there are some signs at a few of the junctions too (e.g. Chicken Corners/Lockhart). It is a well traveled route and popular with half day riders from Moab. I can give you some more descriptors of you want.
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a gpx track of most of it. We actually went up Lockardt to where it starts getting hard. One would go right to Chicken Corner where I have the waypoint in the file. There is also a sign there pointing the way.

The track also shows some farting around Moab. You don't have to do that to get to Lockardt.

Attached Files:

I82l8 likes this.
  3. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mbeiley likes this.
  4. BCBelstaff

BCBelstaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any one have a recommendation for a hotel or cabin near garden city that would be amicable to storing a truck there for 7 days ?
  5. leo_jb

leo_jb -

Oddometer:
    Could use some help with this one too. When are you planning on starting BCBelstaff? My buddy and I are looking at the week of September 23
  6. BCBelstaff

BCBelstaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like we will be right before you, Should be starting September 9th and we've allowed ourselves 7 days to give us some wiggle room if needed.
  7. mbeiley

mbeiley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if anyone knows if taking FR147 to FR149 would work as a detour for this closure:

https://ridebdr.com/news/utbdr-section-4-route-closure-road-17/

That closure notice suggests taking FR131 to FR90. This seems like a very big detour from the BDR, and I was looking for a shorter workaround. Here is a picture of what I was hoping to do (red line is detour):

upload_2019-8-24_19-14-22.png
    Any feedback would be great.
  8. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see why that wouldn't work, but I haven't been beyond strawberry peak this year yet. Where did you get that map photo?
  9. mbeiley

mbeiley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, thanks. I think we'll give it a try. The picture was from a map I've made for our trip. You can view it here, it has both the suggested and our planned detours on it. It also has the detour for the section 5 closure.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lBMyrsVmneEnMfNsXGOtH1j0fD3Qn6ur&usp=sharing
  10. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please post here how that detour/bypass works...we're heading down to Utah next week.
    Thanks.
  11. mbeiley

mbeiley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our trip is Sep 6-15, but I will post when we get back. If you try it, please let us know how it works out.
  12. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, been looking at this as well, will be on route sep 19th or so. Had to bypass some of the lasals before due to mud, looking to add in more of that route this time.
  13. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your route from Soldier Summit gas station towards Strawberry Res. is a nice ride I have done that, nice camping area if theres no one already in there. We are going to be up near Currant Creek Res. tomorrow and doing some of that area and headed down towards Wallsburg area also if we have enough time.

I was at that closed area back in June I think but there was a ton of snow still up there. This was on 081 at the 047 trail IMG_3827.JPG

That snow must a wreaked some havoc or maybe some rain storms that came after the melt.
  14. I82l8

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the same dates than us ...might bump into each other out there.
  15. leo_jb

leo_jb -

Oddometer:
    Anyone located a place to leave the vehicles in Garden City?
  16. mbeiley

mbeiley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool. We'll be in a group of 5, with 2 KTM 690s and 2 Honda CRF250Ls, and a BMW. Going South to North.
    I82l8 likes this.
  17. I82l8

Oddometer:
    We'll be 4...3 KTMs and I on my li'l GS :-)
    mbeiley likes this.
  18. mbeiley

mbeiley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I82l8 likes this.
  19. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not in the parking light at the stop light coming from down the hill. Been a couple of run away trucks run through the light into the parking lot, where a sporting goods store once stood and was takin out by a run away semi.
  20. Mark1200

Mark1200 n00b

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that Timber Creek is impassable, We left on our trip on Saturday so we did not see the notice of the closure and the BDR route to get down in the canyon does not have a notice on it saying road closed. there are at least 20 rockslides that you have to ride over (15 of them before the first road closed sign) but once your that far you might as well keep going to see what's ahead, well when we got 10 miles or so in we came to the area that is totally impassable so we camped there and rode back out in the morning. needless to say it is really not a place to take a 1200GSA or an 1190.

Attached Files:

mbeiley likes this.