1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Next in the BDR series - UTBDR

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by eakins, Aug 13, 2011.

1. 5050kid

5050kid Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All six sections of the UTBDR have sand, but not Onion Creek. The canyon along Onion Creek was one of the coolest places I've ever ridden; the surface is gravel & clay. I got some good footage of that area that I will try to share soon.
    DCrider, jjustj and Marco Moto like this.
  2. Terek

Terek Hooligan Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern Section 1 has a lot of nice views, but those sandy 90 degree turn drove me nuts for several miles.
    873C1984-BD1C-4E96-97D6-8181ED3940CD.jpeg 3472AEE3-E5BE-42D0-AAA5-345A2A86E2F1.jpeg 02B169F3-E463-40D6-AEC6-3AB4609D1034.jpeg F2A96677-191F-4D5E-97FC-CCB8C989CF9E.jpeg
    JemmyOtis, Proud Highway and DCrider like this.
  3. Teflon77m

Teflon77m Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently near the end of stage 3 and been hitting rain off and on. Lockhart Basin was awesome . Glad I was on a relatively small bike KTM 525 exc and there was a section just after crossing Hiway 70 that was a bit slimy. That would have been tough on a bike bike

Attached Files:

4. BCBelstaff

BCBelstaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We ran lockheart on Wednesday on a 990 and a 690 and found it a nice challenge and great ride. Skipped section 3 for the white rim trail and glad we did. Most awesome 160km I've done on a bike 20190911_133241.jpg 20190912_101749.jpg
  5. Teflon77m

Teflon77m Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finished the BDR on Saturday night and had quite an adventure in now as what I know as timber canyon. That track needs to be deleted from the gps file so some dummy like me doesn’t try it just before dark like me and send up camping out as far down it as you can possibly go after doing the Rez berg rodeo at night. Slabbed it for the most part down to Moab and BCBelstaff I’m going to follow suit and do the white Rim trail

Attached Files:

KoryJ likes this.
  6. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm toying with a modified UTBDR ride North to South during the 2nd week of October. Anyone care to offer opinions on the weather at that time? I've ridden Utah in the South during the Fall and I know October can be iffy at higher elevations. I just want to know if I'm kidding myself about riding higher elevations in the North. Thanks for any input.
  7. Proud Highway

Proud Highway one hand waving free

Oddometer:
    Your chances are better than even north of Wellington; maybe a 65% probably of dry/passable roads. I say go for it, but have a plan B to get south if it snows.
    Bullseye likes this.
  8. KoryJ

KoryJ Adventurer

Oddometer:

How many days did it take you to do the hole trip?
  9. Teflon77m

Teflon77m Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took me six and a half days and then a few more riding south doing The White Rim Trail and random dirt rides here and there
    KoryJ likes this.
  10. devotionliner

devotionliner Armadillo Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Marco Moto, @sick_boy, & I will will be leaving Eagle, CO this sunday. We plan to pick up the CO BDR en route to the UT route.

@mbeiley Thank you for posting the mapped detours.
    sick_boy and Marco Moto like this.
  11. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Calling for rain here sunday and monday with cool temps, dress for it. Snow down to 7000' they say.
  12. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am hoping to be on UTBDR North to South starting ~Oct. 6 if the weather and snow in the high country clears enough. Current plan is to head towards Escalante/Saint George at i70 instead of Moab/Monument Valley.
    Anyone else planning to be on UTBDR the week of Oct 6-12? If the weather in the North gets KO'd by this storm, I'll likely just do a lap of Southern Utah.
    KoryJ likes this.
  13. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three of us from IA & SD have began our planning for the UT BDR this coming May. We did the ID BDR last August and loved the experience.

Question, can anyone recommend a secure location to leave a truck at the north end in Garden City/Bear Lake area for the week?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  14. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Police station? In some places it’s the least secure. Seriously, give them a call. Not familiar with this municipality but the worst they could do is say no. Small towns are more likely to say yes.
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it is the same Bear Lake, but we started our IDBR/CDR trip at Montpelier? ID. The motel we stayed at let us leave our 3 trucks in their lot next to the motel for 3 wks . Would be nice if I could remember the name, but I can't
  16. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    How are you guys for time in your planning? The reason I ask is if you have an extra day, you might consider spending it in Moab and ride the White Rim Trail. If you have two extra days, you might visit Canyonlands and Arches. Both are in the top ten national parks. If you have two more extra days you could consider riding (from SLC) the pony express trail to Wendover, spend the night, then ride the Bonneville Salt Flats/Silver Mountains/Transcontinental RR to Promontory Point and then back to Ogden/SLC by the end of the second day. Guess it depends on your time/interests.
    Also, don't miss Monument valley, Valley of the Gods, Muley point at the top of Moki Dugway (and stop 3/4 up the Moki to hike 100 feet to overlook Valley of the Gods over the edge looking east) and Goosenecks of the San Juan, all near Mexican Hat Utah.
    The Utah BDR is one of my favourite rides ever. Don't miss it. There are a handful of route variations too. gpsKevin has one that is a circle you might consider too.
    KiloGraham, DCrider and Marco Moto like this.
  17. Moshaholic2

Moshaholic2 PCUT

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up. So far it has been a heavy snow year. The mountains may not be passable in May
  18. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made a little clip from our ride this past September:
  19. chadly2

chadly2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We reserved a spot at KOA in Garden City, they let us park our rig in their lot just west of the cabins for a week until we returned. It's gated, so you would need to commit to a cabin or camp spot to use it. They might have charged us a small fee for parking there for a week, but I can't remember it being much.
  20. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Outstanding vid! Now I want to go back and ride it again.
    I82l8 likes this.