Next project in the Skunkworks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Pezz_gs, May 1, 2011.

1. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    As Michael had it . . . .
    [​IMG]

As it is now :uhoh

[​IMG]

Oh I have the nice Kevlar bellypan too

[​IMG]
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I remember the "erectile projectile" front guard - from CONDO' several years back - no? :lol3

You will no doubt find a good use for the kevlar drip tray under the LC4 donk... :rofl
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  3. TenereMark

TenereMark Where are we????????

Oddometer:
    Just call it "BM's Ugly Sister". (Or BUS for short).
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  4. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Yep, then Michael went for a KTM500 :pynd

I dont have the carbs for this bike or the manfold so I will have to make something up.

Love a 40mm Dellorto pumper, oval bored to 41mm. They seemed to work ok previously :hmmmmm
  5. hoorang

hoorang .

Oddometer:
    I think you need to come up for a visit Pezz, that subframe would be on in no time. . .
    OzCRU and Pezz_gs like this.
  6. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    When I looked into buying it ages ago I seem to remember there was a single carb manifold available (form the Aprilia I think (Edit,Bombardier DS650 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2006-Bo...m3d88b2bd39:g:zQcAAOSwGWJcNsPS&frcectupt=true ) ), I do remember I found a couple quite cheap on eBay.

I was going to go for an FCR because I detest twin carbs on thumpers.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  7. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim :wave

I will be asking you to do some plasma cutting for the mounting plates when Im ready :augie

I will do a temporary mount but will have to put an airbox in there and see how I can make it all fit together with the single carb modification.

Im going to install the GS Dakar rear shock and see how it will work, but may update to LC4 swingarm and shock as well . . . . :norton

I have seen those manifolds tREV :thumb

Though I might just build my own setup and run the single carb also

This is a photo off the WWW but gives a good look at where the carb (Carbs) will fit

[​IMG]
  8. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Gee there have been some changes in the Skunkworks in the last 12 months. So thought I would update this thread :type

Funduro is long gone. Rob Hodge needed a motor for his Funduro so a deal was made

Seems I currently enjoy working on little bikes more than bigger bikes at the moment.

I will be doing a comprehensive thread in Some Assembly Required, but thought I should document it here in abbreviated form.

The current project is Scrapper Tiddler a GT200X5 Suzuki into a Dual sport . . . .

What is a GT200X5. . . it's an air cooled two stroke twin killed off with by the watercooled RG250. Many know about the GT250X7. The 200 twin was a long running model including the T200. . . .

Before you laugh too loud it has a wet weight if 131kg and 23HP in stock form. Should be able to keep it light and get a bit more go.

[​IMG]

This all started when I was looking for a new engine for Reg. The PE175 is a great motor but I need electric start and also like the idea of oil injection rather than premix. I knew the X5 was electric start and compact motor. They are a little scarce on the ground.

Located a motor on ebay however it wasnt a good fit in Reg as the RV125 has the motor offest in the frame to clear the bigger rear wheel.

Tried the X5 engine in a PE250 frame and it looked good, but I didnt have the coin to build it in that frame. Would also need a lot of engine mount fabrication. Sat my DRZ400 front end in and DRZ rear wheel. Too much suspension.

[​IMG]

Had a friend want the motor so sold it him. He didnt do anything with it. I saw an X5 frame on Gumtree. So I bought the motor back and picked up the frame.

[​IMG]

Whilst there picked up a swing arm, airbox, centre stand and kick start lever.

One thing I have learnt over the years is it easier to build a bike with a matching engine and frame :hmmmmm

Here is it with some 41mm Marzocchi forks which will not be used on this build. They are heading to @OldDog 's shed

[​IMG]
    @hoorang had located a DR200, at one stage an engine option for reg that was too tall to fit the RV frame. I swung by Gunnedah and picked up 'The Victim' :grim This will be providing the front end and rear wheel and brakes. Headlight, sidestand, switch gear and maybe the wiring harness can be adapted???

[​IMG]

To adapt the DR200 front end needed some weird bearing sizes. After nearly going blind checking all the bearing sizes available on line I did a Google search on Google USA and came up with some bearings that would make this work. Good old Pyramid Parts were great!!! Had the new bearings in a week.

I needed a spacer made up. As the tooling on my lathe (not mentioning boring bars again :wink:) I sent the drawing up to Ian Lovell at Servalloy in QLD and Ian knocked this out and posted it down :thumb

[​IMG]

You may have seen the CAD template I made, howwever this will change quite a bit as I will be incorporating the oil tank into this side cover.

[​IMG]

Im currently waiting some steering head bearing seals and I will get the roller happening. Right now its sitting on my new $65 Gorilla work platform. which is such a handy thing :thumb

[​IMG]
  9. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  10. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Thank you Lurch

You thawing out up there??
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Last half of April and first half of May has been 12 to 18 degrees with light cloud or sunny patches - most of the time... so well past the thaw out stage... thank's.

You've pulled out the gas-axe, hacksaw and a box of BECK'S again... I see. :1drink:clap
  12. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Lots to happen, just waiting for the Steering head Bearing seals and Im away.

This is going to be a pretty bike. . . . .:imaposer
    Nudie likes this.
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    OldDog likes this.
  14. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Chatting with my sister who lives in Queensland and she was saying they won’t be opening the border until September

Ian was making my chambers and a slightly larger PE400 alloy tank....

Messes my build timing up a lot....
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I'm always impressed by folk that can speak two languages... :D
    Bigem, OzCRU, Boxa and 5 others like this.
  16. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking Anastasia is just fucking with Gladys's head!

If a southerner pushes a Queenslander, they will push back even when they know it's stupid to do so, they can't help themselves!

I reckon July If those feelthy southerners stop spreading COVID!
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  17. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    So a little update on the X5 build

Suzuki are very slow with backordering parts from Japan and looking at 12 weeks . . . .

Had a great chat to Paul Rooney this week. Paul is a two stroke genius. Before he became an Airhead genius :lol3

He suggested fitting reed blocks to this piston port engine, With some fettling of the piston, new carbs and properly designed chambers could get over 45HP.

Im liking this idea, in a 130kg chassis.

I was initially going to build a stocker and then with my second engine build a big bang motor. As the cost of twin chambers is exxy and would be different to each tune of the engine Im now going for the motor upgrades as well with tuned chambers.

Also here are a few pics of the custom alloy PE style tank Im hoping for, just stretched to be a little longer and bigger :1drink

I imagine this build wont be a Scrapper as it will look nice with alloy tank, sidecover and ducktail :hmmmmm

ec1.jpg ec2.jpg
    mrsdnf, numbat, OzCRU and 3 others like this.
  18. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Wonder if you could twist the arm of another qld bloke.
    After he gave upon posties after a great ride he then knocked up this for a local coffee shop .
    20200523_094811.jpg

Alloy genius for hand shaped tanks
    I am sure you have seen the custom strom tank
    And he knocks up sweet swingarms too

20200614_193231.jpg

And give it a couple of weeks and we might see a Alloy tub.......
    mrsdnf, OzCRU and Pezz_gs like this.
  19. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Cant imagine who this might be . . . . . . . :-)

Joe does tasty alloy work allright.

I have Ian at Servalloy lined up to do the work. The Closed border messed me around a bit
    OzCRU and WILL_S like this.
  20. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    @WILL_S is this for one of your postie’s or for another tug?
    Do you have a build thread for it?