NEXX X.D1 Dualsport Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Dualsportrider12, Nov 28, 2014.

1. dohcfox

dohcfox meh

Oddometer:
    20171220_181639.jpg 20171220_181651.jpg Looks like the bits that the helmet liner clip into are barely held in with a little bit of tacky glue and tape! Worthless...

Attached Files:

2. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Just received the Nexx XD1 I ordered from overseas, and was able to break it fully down and really get a good look at it. Just a few notes:

• The helmet construction seems a bit half-assed. The cutout for the XCom is literally just that, it looks like someone took a Dremel to the side of the helmet and cut the hole out of the shell and left some frayed material. As noted above, the cheek pad and liner outer "clips" don't look very robust. Also, the inner snaps take some extra finesse to get back into place.
    • The inner foam shell only looks connected to the outer shell in a few meager spots due to design elements like the drop-down sun visor and the XCom. I saw a picture of one individual's helmet where the inner shell separated from the outer shell, and I can now see why. Hopefully this doesn't become a problem.
    • The XCom plastic inner "cradle" interferes slightly with my Cardo Freecom mount. I use the "clamp" style mount, so it needs to be able to slide up between the outer and inner shells in order to clamp the cradle in place. The XCom cutout has a piece of plastic inside that is not wide enough to accomodate the Freecom clamp, so I had to take it out and trim some material off the standoffs in order to fit the mount. It was also kind of a pain to get back in afterward (you are required to do this because the blanking plate is screwed into the inner cradle). I'm also now wondering if water is going to get in between the blanking plate and make its way between the inner and outer shell...I didn't see any gasket material on the blanking plate.
    • Fit is definitely tight, but not as horrible as a lot of people make it sound like. The most difficult part is getting the helmet on, which is not really that difficult if you use the chin straps to "open" the helmet first. I got the same size I normally get, Large, and although its a bit tighter than normal, it's definitely the right size. I'd probably compare it to my RS1 for fitment, i.e. race fit. That said, it's not as comfortable as the Arai XD4 I tried on, but it's somewhat close (better than my MX9 Adventure for sure).
    • Cheek pads do NOT have the emergency removal straps, although the emergency removal inner snaps are still being used. I have not had the problem other people complained about where the cheek pads will pull out when removing the helmet. Mine stay in. FWIW I bought a solid color, "Concrete" (not available in the US), so it must be a late release helmet.
    • The helmet looks like it's gonna flow a ton of air. The channels in the top are HUGE, as are the front upper vents. Not sure how the chin bar vent will work, but if it doesn't flow enough air I can always replace the open/closeable vent with the mesh.
    • It's also ridiculously light for all the features it has. When I took the package from the post office, I immediately wondered to myself "is there even a helmet in here?". If it wasn't for the tight fit, I'd wonder if I even had a helmet on my head at all.
    • Having ordered from Europe, mine came with a pinlock.
    • Overall for a price of $275 shipped, I think this helmet was a good deal. There is no way, however, that I would have paid the ~$350 plus $50 for a pinlock that Revzilla is asking. In my opinion this helmet is worth $300, but with all the minor fit and finish issues it's not worth anymore than that.
    johnd.211 likes this.
  3. dohcfox

dohcfox meh

Oddometer:
    Where did you order from?

4. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Got it from Motardinn. It took a while to get here (~12 business days) but overall cost was much cheaper.
  5. dohcfox

dohcfox meh

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  6. Stalker Moscow

Stalker Moscow Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Hates_

Hates_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the newer Xwed2 is worth the extra cost over the XD1?
  8. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting for actual reviews of the XWed 2 to help me make that exact decision. Everything I've seen so far have just been "first looks" (ie, PR pieces).
  9. agreenmartian

agreenmartian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think they're available in the US yet. When I talked to the Nexx representative at DC IMS, he said it was still "coming soon."

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  10. TigerTanker

TigerTanker Husqurducycle

Oddometer:
    I've had Bell, Arai, Shoei and Nexx helmets. The Nexx helmet was pure junk, the parts were of very brittle plastic. Not a big fan of the Shoei quality either. But the Bell and Arai quality have been fantastic, with the Bell helmet fitting the best. With Bell, you have a very strong dealer market in the USA and a company that sells a ton of product with a very long history.
  11. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    So junky in fact you threw away your brand new TT helmet, were called out for flat out lying about it, and consequently ridiculed. I recall you were also banned a few times thanks to some temper tantrums. :rofl

Just saying, take his "opinions" with a grain of salt.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/touratech-aventuro-carbon-helmet-fair-warning.1081351/
  12. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    I've got a Bell MX-9 and have three things to say about it.
    1. Build quality and comfort is good. I have had to glue back on some rubber at the base of the chin
    2. It's noisy. i had a Fly Trekker and it was much quieter
    3. The reason I am getting a different helmet is that the MX-9 is terrible in the rain. Water gets inside the visor and settles in little puddles at the inside bottom of the visor. This then condenses and becomes fog. If you flip the visor to get rid of the puddles and shut the visor again water streaks vertically inside the visor

I've found that point 3 frustrates me so much now that I find it a dangerous helmet in the wet, as my visibility is placed at risk. If they could fix the water leak issue and make the helmet quieter it would be an absolute winner.

I'm going to try my hand with a Nexx XD-1 and hope for the best. I am keen for a drop-down tinted visor for the shortening daylight commute times of the year coming up
  13. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nelso likes this.
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Nelso, do you think it's possible to loosen screws that hold the shield mechanism on each side against the helmet so rain doesn't seep in? Would that help? I've been considering that helmet lately...
  15. Hates_

Hates_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some reviews starting to creep in.

16. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    37:46?!... cliffs notes?
  17. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, he's pretty . . . deliberately paced, isn't he? IMHO, a review for a helmet (or anything, really) shouldn't last longer than a TV show.
  18. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone here with a Nexx helmet and using the X.Com with a BMW TFT?
  19. johnd.211

johnd.211 Oh boy...now what? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently ordered a Nexx X-Wild Enduro X-Patrol. I really wanted an ADV helmet that was more than just DOT, had an inner sun shield (so much more convenient than a dark shield or sunglasses), and could work with goggles.

Box arrived, I opened it, tried a few things, put it back in the box, and then printed a return label.

Quality seemed okay for a $300-$400 helmet, not a $500+ helmet. The reason that it's going back is that out of the box the inner-shield was wonky and didn't open/close easily, needing help by pushing/pulling the shield to get it to the ends of travel. It came with a lot of extra 'stuff', some of which was useful to me (beak extension, chin vent, extra pads for sizing), some not so much (go-pro mounts). Finish was pretty nice, but the optics on the inner-shield were somewhat distorted (drug store sunglass quality). The t-pins on the two locking levers (whatever they're supposed to be called) for the peak weren't very well seated and rotated, so I had to re-align them.

I never took the sticker off the main shield, so no opinion there. Also no idea how quiet it is.

Just an FYI. I'll stick with my Arai, but it would be so nice if they'd do an inner shield on the XD-5.
    Huckwheat likes this.