NEXX X.D1 Dualsport Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Dualsportrider12, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Deviant

Deviant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, Thanks.

But was just joking. Didn't do anything other than post a pic and tell you where I got it. Like I said there was next to zero information out there above and beyond the press release and just about the only discussions I found were on here. Been lurking long enough, figured I should post at some point.
  2. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did you see that review? While I appreciate DeviantMoto's review, I just viewed the videos at FCMoto (edit for correction. Video is at formotorbikes.com) and it clearly shows a recess for the pinlock. So either I didn't describe the recess in a way that DM understood what I was saying or there are two versions of the outer shield. Both are quite possible.

Just in case, I didn't describe it correctly, what shows in the video and what I saw at the IMS show on a different model helmet is that the main shield essentially has two thicknesses. It is thicker around the perimeter and steps down slightly where the insert rests. That can be seen in the video about installing the pinlock insert.

If this does not describe DeviantMoto's shield, it would appear that there are different shields. It will be interesting to see what we end up with here. In the meantime, I would like to hear what others have to say about that recessed shield on other Nexx helmets.
  3. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey cliffy,
    Check out the how to install Pinlock shield video that nexx out together for the XD1, might give some more insight

4. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did check that out. In fact, that's the video I watched where I can see the outer shield is in fact recessed. I incorrectly referenced FCMoto when I meant formotorbikes.com.
  5. Deviant

Deviant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you've got me doubting my sanity. The video does appear to show a ridge in the shield but mine for sure does not have that. But I would not doubt there are manufacturing differences, maybe the vid is based on a pre-prod model? not sure. Need to get some more people with these lids. Only thing I do know is that neither of the helmets I've seen had a recessed shield and only half so far had an included pinlock.
    [​IMG]
  6. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm going back to the area of Louis.de on Friday. If there's interest, I could take some pictures of the helmets they have on stock :ear
  7. Avventuri

Avventuri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Touratech weight is 1220 grams –*but keep in mind this is WITHOUT visor and peak. When you put these parts back on the helmet, the weight is 1458 gr. (1330 gr. with peak only).
  8. Deviant

Deviant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having held both at EICMA I did notice a significant difference. I'm sure you could tell holding them at the same time but one after the other and it's just not worth the extra cash and loss of features.
  9. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Your sanity is not in question and I'm VERY grateful for your input and pics. It really is possible they have different versions. It is/was also possible I wasn't describing the thing right. Until I actually held one, I couldn't figure out what was meant by a shield recessed for the pinlock. It was pretty freakin' obvious when I saw it though and I'm quite certain you would see it if yours had it.

On the video, the place where it is most clear that the recess exists is when you look at the area of the shield near the actual pins. On the video, you can see the outline of the step-down I have described. I don't want to call it a ridge because that implies something that sticks up. It really is a molded in step and isn't very deep. I can't tell from your pics but I am quite certain yours does not have this. It is that obvious.
  10. ADVSearcher

ADVSearcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. pinglow

pinglow Adventurer wannabe!

Oddometer:
    Here
    <IFRAME height=315 src="<a href=" width=560 target="_blank" 3C-1tlg9mUk? embed href="http://www.youtube.com" www.youtube.com https:>https://www.youtube.com/embed/3C-1tlg9mUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-1tlg9mUk
  12. pinglow

Oddometer:
    Yes if they have the other colour schemes, thanks
  13. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. The guy's complaints with the XR2 are a bit... well, odd. His big issue is that the recessed outer shield means that he can't ride with the thing half open due to distortions outside the area covered by the pinlock. That is a complete non-issue for me. Not only can I not imagine riding like that, I think it would be dangerous no matter the shield design.

I appreciate the info though. Always good to have more data points.
  14. pinglow

Oddometer:
    I've received the XD1 from Germany in a week. They even included the pinlock free! Well done Louis! Wonderful buying experience!

The helmet came with everything like what Deviantmoto described. Just that mine came without the top screw that was later found in the bag with a rubber washer. I will change to another screw as it was difficult to screw in as the screw is not long enough.

Helmet weighs 1635grams without peak extender and pinlock. My old hornet weighs 1400grams without the inner top cushion(self-destructed). Comparing both helmets the XD1 shell is slightly larger than the hornet. Bigger, heavier?

I can post some pics if anyone needs it. Mine is the orange/white/black colour.:evil
  15. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Dare I ask if the main shield is "recessed" for the pinlock?

Whether it is or not, I'm jealous. Can't wait til these are available in the states.
  16. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Their US site shows no helmets in stock across the model line and I have not received a response to my emails inquiring about the USA release of the X.D1. Maybe they are just busy at the IMS shows until mid February, or restocking the warehouse with 2015 helmets. Anybody have any updates?:ear
  17. sngltrc

sngltrc Mind

Oddometer:
  18. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I e-mailed them back in December and got a reply from a guy named Nerijus Puida who claimed they would be in the US in late Feb to early March. I also spoke to a guy at the DC IMS show who said the same thing. I forget his name but my father-in-law has his card. He was trying to get my FIL to carry his helmets in his store (FIL owns Morton's BMW in Virginia).
  19. pinglow

Oddometer:
    Nope, it is like any XD or hornet shield. Just with two pins left and right.

I am not sure if I have a lollypop head or what, it is hard to get it on and off. It's fine when it's on, I hope it will 'break in'. I almost pulled my head off my shoulders :lol3
  20. Deviant

Deviant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is difficult to get on and off as well. The lower padding is very narrow. In fact it's the only helmet I've owned that I've had to "fix" my ears after putting it on. Doubt that will break in but on the plus side it should help with road noise.