NFLD 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TommyCareless, May 13, 2019.

1. TommyCareless

TommyCareless Proud Member of the Internet

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    Taking the R100 and my lady friend to the Rock in late July to early Aug. We have a solid week on the Island. Port Aux Basques arrival to Argentia departure. We want to do Gros Morne for sure, but is there anything not obvious or too touristy anyone would recommend ?

Thanks,
    ~T
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
  3. TommyCareless

Oddometer:
    Thanks ! Ordered !

~T
    Maggot12 likes this.
  4. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend that you ride out to Rose Blanche when you get off the ferry at Port Aux Basques.
    The road and the view is awesome and there is a really cool lighthouse at the point that you can walk to and explore.
    While at Gros Morne make sure to visit Norris Point - again the views are incredible.
    I stayed at the Gros Morne KOA and I recommend it
    IMG_0814.jpg
    TommyCareless and Maggot12 like this.
  5. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Rose Blanche, Port au Port peninsula, Lark Hr, Trout River, Greenspond, Keels, Trinity, Petite Forte, English Hr.
    A day in France perhaps? St Pierre is but a day trip but bring your passport.
    The trick to riding here is the wind. If the direction is off the water it will be cool and probably foggy. Don't make firm plans and go to the coast that is keeping the wind off the land.
    TommyCareless likes this.
  6. TommyCareless

Oddometer:
    Are accommodations easy to come by ? I figured I should book.
    ~T
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know because I have never booked any. I camp on beaches or headlands. Never really know where I am going so booking is not an option. Apologies for lack of help on this matter.
  8. TommyCareless

Oddometer:
    No need for apologies ! Thanks for the suggestions. I’m really excited for this trip.
    ~T
  9. Oldcow

Oldcow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are great, thanks. I will be doing the TLH clockwise in July. Are the towns of North West River and Cartwright worth the detour? Is there fuel in Cartwright? I am riding a DR650, 20L tank and 11 litre rotopax.

Once on The Rock, from St Barbe, I plan to head up to St Anthony. I have been in the past but not on a bike. Are there areas up there you recommend? Any dirt loops? any ways to get to Gros Morne in the dirt with worthwhile views? In Stephenville I am meeting 8 other riders and we are spending some time with Gerard at the LHL for 5 days. Then Gaff (sp?) Topsaisl, Hughes brook road, Indian Lake road... We did much of this a few years ago on my KTM 530.

Do you know if the bike shop in Stephenville carries 17" rear tires?

TIA

Oldcow
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    31 liters on a DR means a massive range. Have not been in Cartwright as I only did the stretch from PHS to Goose a few times. I enjoy all the sideroads but worth the detour is a question only yourself can answer. Not alot to see but to me it is all worth seeing.
    IIRC there is a dirt route from Main Brook to Croque to Conche via the logging roads but I have not ridden it. Roddickton is a logging town so the locals there are your best info but Google earth shows the connection. Same goes for Hawkes bay to Daniels Harbour. Call the town hall and get the latest right from the source.
    I know the shop in Stephenville has a DR on the floor but a phone call ahead means they would have a set waiting for you.
  11. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big Brook was the old highway to St Anthony but resettlement meant when the bridge went out it was not replaced there so water levels can dictate if it is a loop. I like the Cape Norman area and Cape Onion is pretty as well.
  12. Summit72

Summit72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you stay in Grose Morne try to stay at Cow Head it's a great place with such a Sandy beach you won't believe your in Newfoundland. It's also close enough to the Viking settlement you can make it a day trip and keep your camp site.
  13. HunterSon

HunterSon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep us updated when you hit the Avalon. Lots of us here to share a ride around some of the coastal routes. Bonus points for using the old abbreviation.
  14. TommyCareless

Oddometer:
    Sorry to take my thread back cough cough ( just kidding)
    Can you get to and fro St Pierre in a day ?

We should find each other for a beer oldcow. July 27 to aug 3 .
    Cheers,
    ~T
  15. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have. They did have a day trip schedule for Wednesday IIRC that left on the passenger only high speed ferry early morning and returned the same day. Leave the bike in Fortune. They are in the process of putting a ro-ro service in place but I am unsure if this is available yet. I would not bother with a bike as insurance and rideable area would not be worth the hassle for me but it is France. More roads but less people in Miquelon.
  16. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It was recommended that a room in Port Aux Basques was booked as everyone on the ferry will be looking for a room and the next hotel at the time was an hour or so up the road in the dark. Also recommended not to ride in the dark due to the moose.

Other than that, accommodations were found on the fly without a problem - early September travel, YMMV.

Dress for both kinds of weather.:deal

Newfoundland is full of wonderful people. Enjoy your trip!

Whaddayat, Murph?:wave @damurph
  17. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dis is it.

I only do night crossings to PaB so I arrive in the am ready to roll.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  18. TommyCareless

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I did Gros Morne back in 2007. I recall there being a small burger ( maybe ) but definitely beer place that had a bit of a motorcycle museum in the basement. Is that still around ?
    ~T
  19. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perry has not had that open in Wiltondale in a long time.
  20. dresda

dresda shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer:
    We've made a few trips to Newfoundland. Awesome place, I can't wait to get back.

My only advice to add is to carry some kind of backup food with you since you can't always find a place to get lunch where you might want it. That was our experience anyway.

It is always worth ordering pan fried cod and fries.

And an umbrella was very handy while waiting to board the ferry in a downpour.