Nfld/Lab 2020, nope.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Maggot12, May 5, 2020.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Ouch...... and I was planning 2 trips there this summer.

"Health Minister John Haggie says if you do not normally live in the province, you need to have some specific reason for coming here, but documentation to prove that will be needed.

He says that could include medical or health reasons, compassionate grounds, or being an essential worker.

Haggie says if you’re coming for a vacation or to visit a seasonal home, then this year is not the year for you."
    CCitis likes this.
  2. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    I still have the ferry booked for late july, hoping things change, but feeling bad juju coming my way.
    Night_Wolf, Maggot12 and Millwright98 like this.
  3. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    yup...not looking good for the 12 day ATV trip across NFLD in July for us...
    Maggot12 likes this.
  4. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    I’ll wait for some clarity before cancelling, lots of time yet to cancel the ferry.
    Davidprej likes this.
  5. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping it's way too premature to make this call. We are planning to cross into Quebec Aug. 18th and head north. Fingers and toes crossed, but keep us southerners posted.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I think it's a little premature too. That said, I think getting into Canada may be more difficult for you than NL.

Doesn't look like the US is slowing down anytime soon. No way in the current state will the Canadian border be opening up.

7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I think it's a little too soon... considering NL, PEI, and NB hava a good grip on what's happening, one would think inter travel (flying) between those 3 would work..
    NS kinda sucks compared to those three, but most cases are centralized and we should be looking pretty good in a few weeks.

Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I do not have a booking on the ferry but did tell my boss today that my last day would be July 31 so I could go on a ride to Newfoundland and east coast in August .
    I guess the Horizons Unlimited meeting will get cancelled shortly . Looks like I’ll be riding around Ontario in August . Time to see if my Ontario friends will let me pitch a tent in their yards .

NorthRider
  9. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have booked the HU event, but according to Grant's update as of May 2nd, there is a high possibility for postponement but its still hopeful.

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/h...security-road/hu-events-and-covid-19-a-100740

By the sounds of things, if CV19 doesn't kill us the Murder Hornets coming in will......
    Thankfully the liquor stores are still open and make this tolerable.....lol

“Long may your big jib draw.”
    Millwright98 and Davidprej like this.
  10. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    That brings up a good point NR - I wonder if we'll still be social distancing in August?
    My father wants to take a week this summer and do an Ontario loop - I've just been assuming this will be possible, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  11. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everything is up in the air right now
    One thing is for sure , I’m not asking for my job back .

As for the HU meeting in NL even if it happens I fear we Canadians will be the only ones attending . Don’t think there will be international travel allowed for a while. I was looking forward to seeing some European campers , UNIMOG, LANDCRUISER , LANDROVER stuff . I always stop and talk to anyone driving those
    Yup , I’m creepy like that

NorthRider
    Maggot12 and Millwright98 like this.
  12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    They just cancelled the Royal St John's Regatta. 200+ years and the last time it was cancelled was 80 years ago for a World War. A holiday on the first day of Aug if the wind is light enough for a fixed seat rowing shell to compete. Crowds of 30 to 40 thousand attend.
    Davidprej likes this.
  13. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would think that some events like the regatta and the Horizons Unlimited gathering need to be decided, yeah or nay, well in advance. And if they at all think the conditions may not allow, they need to err on the side of caution.

Whereas we 'free as a bird' two wheelers, can plan our trip and make a last minute decision.

In any case, this is my positive spin on our planned Aug. 18th assault on the TLH. As we are coming from the U.S., we'll just travel around New England if there's a "closed" sign on Canada.
    Maggot12 and Candubrain like this.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Can't like that post, murph.... that's sad. Considering NL got things pretty well under control at this point. Would think this could be a "well done Newfoundland" kind of thing, considering it's still 3 months away.

Better safe than sorry I guess, and call the shots early.

Night_Wolf and Davidprej like this.
  15. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    The rowing teams train year round for this event and the boathouse is closed so the crews still haven't been on the pond yet. If the alert levels decrease in this public health emergency over the next while it is possible for the crews to get a spin but now it will be just practice.
    Maggot12 likes this.