1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

NH Class 6 Road List Download

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by ADVNH, Jun 6, 2014.

1. The Mountain

The Mountain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Belated thanks for the list! Here's a brief ride update for Hillsboro Cty:

Meadow rd, New Boston: Almost entirely within a military reservation, with scary signs and heavy fences blocking the road. Don't bother.

Laurel Rd, New Boston: Potholes, packed dirt, lots of houses. In theory the road runs up beyond the last house, but the way it's laid out you have to pretty much ride onto their property. Got to the last house, didn't try to go further. This one can be done on just about any bike.

Old County Rd, New Boston: The real deal. No maintenance, lots of exposed rocks and roots, slippery loam under leaves. I had to eventually turn back when I reached a section of 2-foot deep thick mud (paste, not soup). Knobbies pretty much mandatory; not for road-oriented ADV bikes. I barely made it out on my OEM tires after lots of wheelspin and complaints from the traction system (which I eventually just turned off), and afterwards found that I had tweaked the forks too, even though I never hit anything major. Map says it dead-ends at a marsh about 1/4 mile beyond the point where I turned. Note: there is private property on one side of the lane and conservation land on the other. There were a lot of SxS and dirtbike tracks in the mud so there must be some other outlet.
    Jmcqq37 likes this.
  2. King Tootin

King Tootin Scootin n Tootin

Oddometer:
    For anyone interested (Monadnock Area) I am currently working on mapping NH Class VI roads into a gpx friendly format for future sharing. This project is in the early stages. Currently I have class VI locations (waypoints) around the monadnock region at the ready. At this stage I could use someone to ride with (so i'm not on my own). Preferably someone with their own GPS and a Smaller size bike.

For the initial mapping I have identified a 20 X 20 mile area centered around greenfield. I verified by car that several of the waypoints are real i.e, there is actually a class VI road at the waypoint. Now it is time to ride these and record some basic info such as difficulty level, whether or not it is off limits converted to private property?, impassible? things of this nature.

Please PM me if interested to set up an exploration ride. I would like to keep the group small 3 people maybe 4 max and on smaller bikes to quickly map out an area with minimal issues.
  3. bigfoot-60

bigfoot-60 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I grabbed all the GPX files for NE that I could find, and merged them here. Most are fairly current, some are 8-10 years old. Use at your own risk. I take no credit for (or responsibility) for this data.

Attached Files:

4. bawalsh88

bawalsh88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Near Rochester and planning to check out some of those trails tomorrow, thanks bigfoot.
    If anyone wants to meet up let me know.
    I can contribute to that mapping of class 6 roads.. there might be a way to drop them all into excel, run a script, and create a KML with locations pinned..

OK here's all the NH Class 6 road listings on My Maps. You can export to KML or KMZ. Pins are simply dropped according to google's search results
    Click HERE

I used this yesterday on a discovery ride and it is actually useful.. I'm shocked I did something useful
  5. bigfoot-60

Oddometer:
    I get access denied on the link above
  6. bawalsh88

bawalsh88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just updated it to "anyone with link can access" and added the new link - so I hope that works
    bigfoot-60 likes this.
  7. bigfoot-60

Oddometer:
    That works. Thanks!
  8. volkspete

volkspete n00b

Oddometer:
    My wife is typing coz she's too lazy to log into her own account. We can vouch for the following in Cheshire County... This is just off the tops of our heads... We've been on a bunch of other Class VIs around these counties and towns, but would need to spend some time checking our maps to confirm what went through and what didn't.

DISCLAIMER: We are idiots. The "brass balls" references are because we REALLY struggled. Everything else was just our normal amount of idiocy. When we say "passable", we are not saying it's easy.

WALPOLE
    Alice Smith Road - NOT passable
    Cheney Hill Road - Passable
    Derry Hill Road - Passable if you have brass balls...
    Goldsmith Tavern Road - NOT passable
    Hayes Road - Passable, but short
    Maple Grove Road - Passable
    Merriam Road - Passable
    Ramsay Hill Road - Passable
    Whipple Hill Road - Passable, but be respectful! People have been jerks out there lately and the neighbors have been complaining to the town. (Wife is doing recon to try and keep this fun road open.)
    Old Stage Road - This is no longer Class VI and has been given back to the landowner who has gated and locked it. Information that this road is Class VI is WRONG. (Wife went to the town about it. They fixed the maps.)
    Stevens Lane - Passable, but short

SURRY
    Merriam Road - Passable, has well marked wire across road upon entrance (or exit if coming from Walpole), just remember to hook it back up after going through it
    South Mine Ledge Road - Passable, has something across road (can't remember what), same applies as above

WESTMORELAND & SURRY
    London Road - Passable

MARLOW
    Stone Pond Road - Passable
    Baine Road - Passable
    Ducky Brown Road - NOT passable

GILSUM
    Old Gilsum Road - NOT passable
    Gunn Road - NOT passable

ALSTEAD - Haven't been out there much this year, can't remember the names of the roads we were on last year that go through...
    Maclean Road - NOT passable - nice dirt road until 90-degree onto Barnett Hill Road, but path into the woods is not passable

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY
    DEERING
    Hedgehog Mountain Road - Passable

MERRIMACK COUNTY
    WARNER
    Collins Road - Passable

SULLIVAN COUNTY

WASHINGTON
    Lovell Mountain Road - Passable

PLAINFIELD & GRANTHAM & CROYDON
    Croydon Turnpike - Passable

ACWORTH- Haven't been out there much this year, can't remember the names of the roads we were on last year that go through...
    Nye Road - Passable, but short
    EricXJ and FreeTheBeast like this.