NH/VT Central Riders

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by AdamChandler, Oct 22, 2017.

1. vt wingman

vt wingman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5FF88976-0A14-4211-A0F4-503F8FD251E5.jpeg I switched to this Moose XC1 armored jersey and a Klim Dakar jacket which has real good ventilation and zip off sleeves and it worked out good for me! I throw a jersey in my tail bag and when I get on the tougher class 4/6 sections I can shed the jacket and put jersey on for a little abrasion resistance! Wanted to get the Mosko Moto Basilisk jacket because of it’s excellent ventilation plus waterproofing but budgetary constraints prevented that this year! Still using pants with built in armor for now!
    MoXoM, Offcamber and OldBarKeep like this.
  2. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys....I have an opportunity to pick this bike up relatively cheap, Kawi F9 350. Doesn't run but has compression. What do you think good project or nightmare. F9.jpg
    PackinDirt and AdamChandler like this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    That'd be a LOT of work for a full restore job. But as a winter bike, given the age (and I'm not a Japanese bike expert) but you could probably pick up what's needed to get it to fire and just use it as a winter beater bike. Maybe there's a rear brake conversion available. Is the tank full of rust?
  4. Offcamber

Oddometer:
    I think the tanks is okay its just the paint is chipped. My goal would be to get it rideable then worry about restore.
    I just like these old school Japanese bikes....reminds me of my youth lol
    CavReconSGT and AdamChandler like this.
  5. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the rest of the carb there or MIA? Finding parts can sometimes be a nightmare for anything older that doesn't have a cult following but take a look to see what is out there before committing or passing on it. If you are looking to ride it rather than a full restore it sure looks like it is pretty much all there and usable.
    Partzilla might be your friend. I have had good luck getting old(er) Honda parts, Dealer said that air cleaner elements were not available for our Yamahas (2006 XT 225's) but Partzilla says they are on the way so......
    I haven't looked for many Kawasaki parts yet, I want to locate a new Petcock for my KLR 250 (only made for 20(?) years and mine is a 2003) but I can buy the whole tank assembly for $550. Much easier to get parts for something like my old Triumph where the same parts were used forever and people still play with them so parts are still made.

Bruce
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. WPG

WPG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is Sandwich notch road open?
    GonzoDirtso likes this.
  7. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! Don't ask a guy who brought two old Yamaha's back to life about basket cases. I've left behind project bikes but this looks interesting. I wouldn't do a full restoration. Just make it fun and safe to ride and enjoy the "patina" just the way it is. Really want to have fun? Start doing vintage enduro events.
    Offcamber and AdamChandler like this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This has me thinking. Should we have an NH/VT “Winter Challenge” Maybe starting next year so it’s more fair but everyone has a $500 budget on a pre 1980 bike and then they have until April 1st to get it road legal and we go on a ride together with our older bikes?
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  10. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
    What size of the jackets you have?
    GonzoDirtso likes this.
  11. GonzoDirtso

GonzoDirtso Lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good for you man...
    Rover43 and VTphoneman like this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    All are USA XL. But someone already has dibs on the jackets but I’ll PM you once they’ve had their pick.
    russ4ru and Offcamber like this.
  13. Offcamber

Oddometer:
    See I was leaning towards passing on it because I just don't need another money/project to be tied up with...Now ya all got me rethinking it.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
    Ok, Sounds good!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    I'm totally in for a $500 Winter Challenge build. You see these posts all the time where a bunch of folks buy $500 bikes then compete on them. The idea of bringing old bikes back to life is how I got into this crazy hobby 25 years ago. I'm real good at locating projects and barn finds. Damn! Passed on an old Yamaha 250 just a month ago! Would have been the perfect candidate.

OK, challenge accepted and on the hunt. Let's do this. None of my bikes needs anything this winter so I need a project. And I'm cleaning out the garage so I have space, too.
    AdamChandler and Offcamber like this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I’ll look too. Just not sure it’ll happen this year.
  17. PackinDirt

Oddometer:
    There's always a spot to store a project in some dark corner under a tarp...

"Hey, honey. What's under that tarp?"

"Um, nothing much."

"Really? Another project?"
    packedandreadytogo likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Well I have a friend who passed away and there's now pressure for me to take his bike and restore it and I simply don't have the room. Did a soft-approve inquiry with Heather and she thought maybe her brother could use it but then realized it isn't what he's looking for. I've wanted a BMW Airhead for a while (I believe this is an R90S in red) his family needs the money so I think they're selling it to BMW MOV members for $2K. I just can't put it anywhere.
    Offcamber likes this.
  19. MoXoM

MoXoM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to have two Yamaha RD350’s in the garage.. never got around to doing anything.. gave them away due to storage loss..insane power and shit braking.. lol
  20. MoXoM

MoXoM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where did you find that moose xc1.. everywhere was out of stock forever..?
    Best deal around for $99..
    I ended up with some turtle shell, but really liked and wanted that setup..