NHSTA Opens Investigation into BMW Final Drive Failures

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rdcyclist, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    What a meaningless hypothetical load of crap.
  2. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen the failed final drive thread? :huh
  3. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    :photog
  4. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.

In a hurry to catch another holiday? If you don't think the 'planned obsolescence' discussion is seminal to this robust and measured civil discourse perhaps you should bog off back to the Super Tenere thread where you continue your support group whinge at BMW?

Good day, sir.
  5. Schlug

Oddometer:

It's right here, cupcake.

Let me know when you're ready to sell that GSA. I might be in the market. And no, you cannot have the 1150. But one day when I'm out that way you can stand me a few pints and I'll let you ride it. I was also looking at a Land Rover for a minute until I read your (I think it was you) blowtorching the very existence of them and their offroad performance.
  6. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha...I enjoyed my time with them..just, same as a GS... not drinking the Kool Aid, thats all..I still love my GSA...you ain' gettin' it..but I will happily stand a pint, or two...or three for you...

I was involved with Rovers before Ford was able to wire them, then realize it was a losing propostion. My old partner, who still deals with them, says they all come with a tow truck, hence the cost. Air bag Rangies are still crap..

But...diesel 110, you have my attention..
  7. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't it??? :eek1
  8. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

Jeez, man. Back away from the keyboard, huh? You're making my head hurt with that nonsense.
  9. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Sorry BobbySan....I'm STILL on my "German Holiday" as a replacement final drive is STILL on back order (this makes it 4 weeks it's been sitting in the +100 degree heat and sun in the dealer parking lot - who's paying for the obviously ruined battery after this by the way???)

I'm also just now finding out that apparently BMW is not going to warranty the blown drive - so after my bike being broken down the entire month of August, my vacation being ruined and only now starting to find out they won't honor their own warranty policy, it looks like I won't get my bike back before the snow flies.

15k miles on my bike. Pathetic.

:bert :puke1
  10. Schlug

Oddometer:
    I was referring to your recent banning for being a pillock. Sorry about your bike.

Let me know some details and maybe I can help.

Wait, there's got to be more to this story. Why won't BMW honour their warranty?

PS
    the internet will be saved a lot of whingey bandwidth once you and BMW are parted ways.

Wait, I found this from you:

They won't honour their warranty because it is YEARS out of warranty.
    Should have included that bit in all fairness.
  11. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Wow, he didn't get the lifetime warranty? :lol3
  12. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:

This failure is an item under warranty, so nice try.

I do appreciate your arrogance however - maybe we can team up and redirect your abrasiveness toward Motorrad on my behalf to negotiate this situation for me. :deal :freaky
  13. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    do you really think that German engineers are that stupid? they are capable of designing state of the art engine management systems, ABS and traction control, etc.

yet you are saying German engineers are too stupid to design a final drive that will not have such a crap ass record.

one bad design I can understand ... but NO way bad final drives .. followed by another bad one. followed by yet another one.

R80G/S final drives typically last life of bike. R100GS started having failures with introduction of non-serviceable driveshaft u-joints. R1100GS more of the same.. R1150GS frequency increases... R1200GS the final drive fucking continues ...
  14. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I've worked in product and process design, and things are just not as simple as you believe. No matter how smart we are, no matter how much experience we have, there are some things that are unknown and unknowable when you're developing something.

Stuff that bites you in the ass.

Every single engineer (and I'm one) worries that that they've overlooked something. When we do, shit happens.

If I were you, I wouldn't complain about the engineers. Instead, complain about the bean counters that should warranty their products, that hide data from the NHTSA, that refuse to answer basic questions like "how many final drives have failed in BMW motorcycles?"
  15. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    After all the years of final drive failures I'd think:

A. They should have been able to correct the problem long ago.
    B It' bigger then "bites you in the ass" , it's piss poor engineering from a
    German company that prides themselves on engineering.
    C. If they cared about customers, they'd step up to a fix.
    D. BMW is notorious for releasing upgraded parts while never admitting to a problem.

I've lost my trust in BMW.

As always YMMV.

Regards, Paul
  16. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    at NO time have I complained about engineers. they only do what they were told. management are the ones driving.

do you actually think management will go around telling engineers .. yup we chose that design because the old one was lasting too long. if we are to survive long term, sales cycle has to be shorten. if we don't deliver higher share prices, my job is on the line .. etc.. etc.

that's why some folks are engineers, others are management...
  17. Schlug

Oddometer:

I'm liking Lobby more and more.

You lot act as if making a final drive bomb proof and light as hell is like making a good black pudding. You understand that these bikes have gained in HP and lost weight in each of their successive iterations. A single sided swing arm is a questionable decision, but it is much lighter than a solid axle. You don't think there have been many changes between the 1150 to the hexhead to the camhead to the water cooled FD's? They've implemented a lot of changes. Jeexus Christ, CY, they completely redid the FD between the oilhead and the hexhead.

I'm with Lobby. My one bitch about BMW is that they have extremely sharp pencils in legal. They certainly have a number in mind about how many failures they're willing to absorb and how much poor press they receive. How many? We'll never know. The internet and people like KCM1 blow the number and severity of the issue out of proportion and BMW isn't talking. So we really have very little true idea, sadly.

And because they sell so many bikes, that number can be pretty high and they still pull record sales.

It seems to go like this:
    If you have a BMW and you go 50,000 miles without an FD issue, you tend to speak highly of the bike. If you have a BMW and you put 15,000 miles on it in 5 years ( :eek2 ) and have a final drive problem, you speak quite poorly of them.
  18. Schlug

Oddometer:
    If you had a final drive repaired by a BMW dealer and the bike is out of warranty by 2 years, isnt that between you and the dealer who did borked the repair? BMW NA don't enter into it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  19. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any work done by the dealer has a two year parts and labor warranty regardless of the warranty status of the bike.
  20. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    I'll get into more details once (if ever, at this rate) the bike is repaired. But I will say I am amazed that its been a month and I'm only now finding out I have to start the complaint process - this is the worst customer treatment I've ever received from BMW, be it motorcycle or car. To say I'm upset, disappointed, frustrated, etc. doesn't even begin to describe it.