NHSTA Opens Investigation into BMW Final Drive Failures

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rdcyclist, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.

Read it again. Labour is the responsibility of the dealer, not BMW NA, no? If one had a final redone at a dealer and they bodged the repair it would be the dealer who backs it up, not the mothership. I recall another inmate in a similar situation only the dealer had gone under in the meantime leaving him no recourse.

Standing by...
  2. Schlug

Oddometer:

If you want us to be helpful or sympathetic or even believe you, you need to be honest about your situation and not half-truth or shovel hogshyte at us.

You don't say? :wink:
  3. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the US, parts replacement warranty clearly states parts and labor are covered if the work is done by a BMW dealer. I guess you could say that what BMWNA reimburses the dealer for the labor is between BMW and the dealer.
  4. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Explain how I am blowing the number and severity of the issue out of proportion?????

• My seal failed while doing 80mph on the highway.
    • It coated the back of my motorcycle in gear oil. Including the complete right side of the tire - enough so that the gear oil was literally dripping from the rain sipes.
    • It was enough oil that it totally negated the stopping power of the rear brake.
    • The drive is ruined and requires complete replacement.

You don't think that's severe!?!? :huh

I don't know what your connection is to BMW, or if you're just a standard issue troll. But I can tell you that seeing gear oil literally dripping from my tire after coming to a stop was enough to make my hair stand on end.

Maybe you should try it yourself sometime and then weigh in with all these pompous digs and insults.
  5. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    My word are you ever arrogant. Wow. How do you stuff all that ego inside your helmet???

You're crossing the line BS. Calling me a liar, claiming what I'm telling you is hog shit is going too far for me "buddy". :deal

You need to step away from your computer and take a break.

Believe me, I don't want your "help" - as if there is a single thing you could possibly do to begin with. Lol... Talk about shoveling hog shit.

Your sympathy?!?? :rofl:rofl There's no room left over in that helmet for any sympathy. :norton
  6. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's an incentive to have the work done at a dealer. If there are issues, they can be remedied at any dealer. An independent shop can't offer the same service. That's not completely true, there are companies that offer warranty products to the independents, at least in the automotive sector.
  7. Schlug

Oddometer:
    Alright, thanks Anorak (did I just say that?)

I figured someone who was a wrench knew the ins and outs.

Wonder why KXCM isn't being treated well. And he isn't saying.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Some people never do learn.

>ducking

Jim :brow
  9. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:

No such thing as good black pudding. My Gawd, you are a heathen....:eek1
  10. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading the whole thread. Nice. Now I'm gonna try and find the pieces of my head after it exploded. Very entertaining, thanks.:hide
  11. Schlug

Oddometer:
    Washed down with a raw potato and one of these:

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's a 2-litre of shitey, budget cider for breakfast. Got a problem with that?

We are nothing if not entertaining. But to be sure some of the best people in the world are part of the GSpot. Some of the best wrenches in the world frequent the boards and some of the most knowledgeable people who have been elbows-deep in these bikes are regulars.

Then there are some dry shytes, too. :evil
  12. GrouchyGeezer

GrouchyGeezer idjit galoot, still

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you don't share.

Bobby, earlier you referenced a meeting at Daimler/Chrysler. While I was not at that particular meeting, I have been at many of such nature. I am racking my brain to try to remember a chap with a UK background that smelled of cheap cider, with potato morsels down his shirt front. Unfortunately, I cannot. That doesn't in any way mean that I doubt you or your presence. The Bullshit Palace in Auburn Hills is a very large place. I was just wondering if we ever crossed paths.

Just an inquiry from an old, dry shyte. :evil
  13. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    :nod The service reminder light is a good example. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working diligently to find a way to prevent owners from performing routine service.
  14. Schlug

Oddometer:

This would have been 1999 or 2000.

I recall lots of geezers but not so many grumpy ones.

Were you the guy who was in charge of planning obsolescence into the autos so the D/C could make more money in spares?
  15. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Coming back to the thread topic: if the NHTSA is really investigating these failures, then there should be a bunch of documents somewhere on their website. Like, their letters with questions to BMW regarding the number of complaints, number of breakdowns, results of BMWs investigation, etc., and the answers from BMW. Has anybody looked?
  16. GrouchyGeezer

GrouchyGeezer idjit galoot, still

Oddometer:
    It didn't have to be planned or engineered, it was a natural evolution. All the "players" got lease cars; from 6 months to 2 years, depending on status. So if anything failed within that period, noise was made. After 2 years, who cares? If a part or system lasted the 2 year trial, it was a home run!

I was there from 1992 (the cement was still wet) to 2008 (not continuously). Pre-Production Prototype, aka Pilot Operations.
  17. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    A Google search found this in the federal register from June this year: the petition mentioned in the first post of this thread has been denied:

"7.0 Conclusion

Based on the foregoing analysis, it is unlikely that NHTSA would
    issue an order to recall and remedy the alleged defect. In view of
    that conclusion, the petition by Mr. Cimino is denied."

Sorry if this was already posted before, but with all the jibber-jabber it's difficult to find stuff in this thread.
    So the NHTSA is not opening a safety investigation into K1200LT final drive failures.
  18. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gruesome. This is good info.

I wonder if this is why I'm suddenly getting the run around instead of having it taken care of as it should be. :y0!
  19. Schlug

Oddometer:
    I think we might know the reason why....
  20. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Constant trolling with you, isn't it.