NHSTA Opens Investigation into BMW Final Drive Failures

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rdcyclist, Feb 3, 2012.

1. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My experience is that when the seal (finally) caves in, the bearing disintegrates, and you can literally feel it.
    Plus the noise is impossible to ignore.

As can be seen from this my third "leak" the oil sprayed most of the bike, but the tire is bone dry.

If you are stranded a long week-end in Alcoy, Catalonia (currently part of Spain), you can eat very well.
    What more can one ask?

[TaSK]
  2. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of magic is it that keeps the oil from the tire tread?

My eyes must be failing me..... I see oil on the tread in the two proceeding pictures, no?

Regards, Paul
  3. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I'm not sure what you're going for here. The seal is on the side of the final drive, as the real wheel is spinning the centrif... fuck it, look at TasK's photos and read his account.

I think you get it you're just being obtuse for a reason. Sure, after the bike sits and oil dribbles all over the place, it'll get on the tread.

But none of this matters. The LT riders really, really wanted to force BMW to address what they considered to be shitty final drives by having the NHTSA rule that it was, in fact a safety issues.

The NHTSA ruled that, although the final drives are shitty, they don't pose a safety issue. Thus BMW has given the LT riders both fingers and you will have to accept that it's just not a significant safety risk.

Whether you like it or not. Whether you can imagine a situation where this might happen or that might happen or the moon falls from orbit and crushes the rider and the final drive, it makes no difference. At all.

TasK had 3 failed FD's and survived all of them while eating well, and he's a massive fellow who flat foots the GS with bent knees.
  4. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Did you have Xuixo?

[​IMG]
  5. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leak starts while riding, stop at red light, oil runs down tire side wall onto tread.
    Not so obtuse is it?

You just keep drinking the cool aid if it makes you feel better. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Regards, Paul
  6. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for my replacement final drive to be delivered. (Drama started 8/7)

Still waiting to hear from BMW "customer service" about the drive being covered under warranty as it is supposed to be, and/or with their "best offer"- since they are trying everything they can to wriggle out of honoring their own warranty policy. It's not about the money anymore. I've given up on BMW at this point.

I just bought a 2009 KTM 990 Adventure, and basically just want to get the BMW bike fixed so I can either sell it or only use it for close to home riding when the KTM is in the shop. I'll probably just to get an 1190 or a Honda Crosstourer when they finally get here and trade it in or whatnot. I will NOT be buying a new Z4 or 6 Series either as had been the plan a few months ago, and instead will be looking at a Corvette or maybe the Nissan.

+15 year BMW rider, several bikes / cars from them over that time.

I am done with them. :deal
  7. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    It may be time to file a small claim.
  8. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Nah.. I'm not really like that, my time is more important than the cost of the lawsuit and accompanying drama.

I'm just going to move on and be done with their terrible quality and atrocious customer support.
  9. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    I'm not a litigious sort either and have never files a lawsuit, but if a company failed to hold up their end of a warranty on a relatively expensive repair, and if I had a leg to stand on, I'd probably make a case and then be done with them.
    There's not a whole lot time wasted or drama in small claims court from what I understand.
  10. fxdlmarsh

fxdlmarsh n00b

Oddometer:
    :clap
  11. fxdlmarsh

fxdlmarsh n00b

Oddometer:
    2009 GSA, out of service.
    I've been pleaged with major break downs. have been miticulus with service introvalls. clutch out at 23,000. dealer advised me of that. that was a total tear apart one winter. warranty wouldn't cover. and now just under 28000, oil over rear wheel. and blowen bearing and seal. and out of warranty, 3 year, 36,000 mile . these are the facts, my 2002 GS was a tank compared .
  12. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    no problems with my 05 1200GS @ 55k (new addition has stifled my riding time, but he's 9 now, so?) just did the final drive oil and just had some mush on the sensor.

I've been pretty happy with this bike so far, no plans to replace it...
  13. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer: