Niassa, Chucky Norris and John the Baptist

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by metaljockey, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Jinx

Jinx Call me Renzo

Oddometer:
    Rearranging the deck-chairs on the iceberg
    Wonderful report mate :bow :thumb :bow

PS - More than you ever wanted to know about Wood Gas as Engine Fuel courtesy of your friendly local United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization :deal

Fiat Panis - "Let there be bread" :dg

I don't know how to say "Let there be gas" in Latin, nor do I care to learn :patch

:D
  2. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing.

With no disrespect to MetalJockey who's ride reports set THE standard for all others, if my plan for dealing with lions is to wait till hes got me by the chest in his jaws and begins casually walking off with me, and thats when I pull out the Mace can, well call me a chicken but I ain't going on that trip!!

Damnnnnnnnnn!! that lion stuff. Crashing through roofs. Eating people on a regular basis.

Hey wanna sleep out under the stars?
    :huh

I don't think so.

MetalJockey, you the man. :thumb
  3. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    unbelievable. looks like hard woods too. unbelievable.
    Throttlemeister likes this.
  4. Stevevh

Stevevh Been here awhile

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

MJ, Even your "Less good" ride report are better than any ride I have ever done on a bike. Your philosophy, humor and fabulous pictures has made your reports the best I have ever read.
    It took me a while to figure out who the new hairy guy was though!!! :lol3
    Forget Chucky Norris, I am going with the Camel man!:clap
    Thanks for sharing! I look forward to your next installment.

Steve
  5. metaljockey

metaljockey Dodgy SOB

Oddometer:

Well, being from South Africa, we have the dubious distinction of having either invaded, occupied, planted bombs, sent in hitsquads or conducted military incursions in every single adjoining country including Namibia, Zimbabwe, Angola, Lesotho, Swaziland and Mozambique. I think the only exception is Botswana, but I stand to be corrected.

Understandably, our neighbouring countries aren't too keen to have grown white men from South Africa running around their turf brandishing fire arms.
  6. metaljockey

metaljockey Dodgy SOB

Oddometer:
    I sweat the stuff I can do something about, the other stuff I only deal with when it happens. If we spent our time worrying about things that we cannot control, none of us would ride bikes in the first instance.

So, no, I'm quite comfortable when we set out already, because the things I could prepare for I did. And riding with Hennie and Nardus is a big comfort already, I know them well and know to what extent I can depend on them.
    Throttlemeister likes this.
  7. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    Another amazing ride and read. Your storytelling and photography are second to none. :bow

And they need to get Nardus to play Steve McQueen in his biopic. He doesn't have to talk much, and can just do all his own stunts :D
  8. canpile

canpile Trail User

Oddometer:
    MJ and crew, Thank you for sharing another epic adventure with the rest of us! You gentlemen define what adventure riding is all about.:thumb
  9. flyingbeard

flyingbeard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your Adventure. I had just took a drink from a cold beer when you explained about John the Baptist. Now I need to wipe off my laptop:rofl as I just blew it out of my nose.....
  10. Roostn

Roostn On the Throttle Stop

Oddometer:
    Metal,

Thanks pal! You inspire a lot of people who don't have Africa in thier backyard to create similar adventures near thier home. We are lucky in America to have a lot of infrastructure so things like fuel and accomodations are not always a concern. On the other hand, we have things like fuel and accomodations that are not always a concern. It can make some lazy. You need to create Adventure here and that means getting off the beaten track and putting yourself in situations that require you to think. Some do it better than others. I try but it will never rival your ride reports dude. Someday I'll get there, someday...

Mexico to Canada next month!!!! :wink:
  11. Narri

Narri Unlimited

Oddometer:
    Hehe - very funny !

Thank you for all the nice replies !!
  12. Clansters

Clansters Tour Aegea

Oddometer:
    Wow!!
    Thought I was breathin' :johntm :johntm
    Thanks for sharing
  13. pikipiki

pikipiki next!

Oddometer:
    Most excellent report, and thank you for sharing. Proves that there is still so much to see and learn about Africa. I love the adaptation of technology such as the engine that runs of wood...now that is something really interesting ( I got to find out more information on that).
    Fantastic on how you take the time to explore more of the surrounding "neighborhood". Happy trials my man.
  14. Fakenstein

Fakenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    slamming report. Something most people on dream of.
  15. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    WOW!

Even though you didn't enjoy this trip as much as your Angola trip, it was an awsome report.

Thanks for taking the time to share it here :clap

It amazes me how the terrain you traversed looks very, very similar to some savannah areas in Venezuela and Colombia! (no lions here though!).

One question about the Tubliss system.
    Did Nardus install it on his 950? If so? How has it worked for him?

It seems to me you have a similar riding style in SA as we do here in Venezuela: WFO on the pavement and lots of dirt roads. My main concern with the 950 + tubliss is at higher speeds on pavement. Due to pretty decent & straight paved roads and extremely cheap gas (three US $ cents per liter) it is totally normal for us here to maintain 140-170 Km/h average speed for several hours on the pavement until we reach the good stuff (off road). The weight of the 950 plus the speeds that it can reach make me dubious of wether the system will hold because IMO it was designed for lighter bikes moving at slower speeds offroad (I may be wrong, which would be a good thing in this case!!!).

What do you think?

Thanks for your input and again for your great RRs
  16. metaljockey

metaljockey Dodgy SOB

Oddometer:
    Nardus did not have the Tubliss on his bike.

The manufacturer has not yet specced the product for heavy high speed use. My personal opinion is however that it runs a lot cooler than a tube, so I don't see why it would not be safe. It also has a rimlock which makes it safer than a normal tube.
  17. Herms

Herms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks MJ, this was a great report!!!!

Whenever things get me down, I check out your Angola trip...... and it get me going again.

Dankie vir die moeite wat jy insit!
  18. ghoran

ghoran ocho ocho ochoooo!!!!

Oddometer:
    Yes it is:

http://www.andiamotrust.org/news10mar07.htm
  19. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
  20. Amithai

Amithai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MJ , you do all that I want to...how your wife let you do it? Did she complain?