1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Nice rocky, sandy loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Osadabwa, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    Invigorated by my recent solo day out, and by the re-emergence of steady sunshine, it was time to grab Panic and go for another rip. I wanted to show him some of the tracks I found the week before and to continue practicing the loose rocks. I forgot to load the right track but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as we re-discovered an old gem and a connecting route down-valley to the Magadi Road. From there, we ripped through the sandy flats near Olegorsaile, spooking gerenuk, giraffe, ostrich and gazelle and hit Oltepesi for a quick Coke break before launching through the white chalk and rocks, capping it off with a bottom-to-top ride up the New Valley.

[​IMG]
    Above: Our usual entry point to the valley has been left with no trees and a hole in the ground, but the view of the Ngongs from atop the denuded hill is nice

[​IMG]
    Above: On a track I discovered in 2014 but haven’t ridden since. Pretty valleys and hills and the rocky, overgrown 4x4 trail leads down to the Magadi tar road.

[​IMG]
    Above: Descending a pretty long stretch of loose and embedded rocks. Nice way to get the blood pumping.

[​IMG]
    Above: Out in the flats on sandy, drifty track separated by rocky outcrops. The less travelled path is the more enjoyable at this junction.

[​IMG]
    Above: Climbing over a rocky outcrop and emerging into a little valley oasis full of giraffe and gazelle

[​IMG]
    Above: A wild desert hog takes a short break

[​IMG]
    Above: We practiced a few pivot turns on this forgiving sand and gravel plain before ripping back to Oltepesi for Cokes

[​IMG]
    Above: Starting up the New Valley track and pausing for a splash at the broken water pipe

[​IMG]
    Above: Looking up valley

[​IMG]
    Above: Side-tracked by an opportunity, we followed the riverbed but it fizzled out

[​IMG]
    Above: At the end of a couple kms of rolling rocks, great practice in the mid-day heat

[​IMG]
    Above: Always stop to smell the flowers

[​IMG]
    Above: Panic rests, roadside in the New Valley

[​IMG]
    Above: We popped out of the rocky section and flew on the fast dirt. 200km of rocks and sand had worked up quite an appetite. Off to the Drip for a beer and some chicken and chips.

[​IMG]
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice @Osadabwa! Looks like a great day for ripping, especially when it ends with beers and some chow.

The 5th pic you posted, ever wonder how those rocks and boulders ended up where they lay? I picture some volcano blowing up eons ago and spewing ‘em around. Have the same thoughts when I see rocks like that riding in the OR desert.

Appreciate you taking the time to post the pics and report :thumb :ricky