Nightstalker wants to ride with YOU!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, May 12, 2007.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    We've had a busy travel schedule as of late. I missed out on some riding, but I've made up for it. Traveling across Washington.

Grand Coulee dam by day.

[​IMG]

And by night. It's 300' from the water to the top of the dam.

[​IMG]

Grand Coulee itself.

[​IMG]
  2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We spent a few days in Seattle. Very friendly people here in Washington.

Boeing plant tour. Unfortunately, they don't let you take pictures inside the worlds largest building. What's real funny is that my current camping neighbor just recently retired from Boeing after 35 years.

[​IMG]

Concorde, it was pretty small inside.

[​IMG]

This is my new waterproof riding suit I borrowed for my visit to Washington. Now, if I could just get my 950 to breathe underwater!

[​IMG]

We stopped at the Microsoft museum. It was pretty lame considering that Billy Gates is the richest man in the world.

I got hammered on my tour of Red Hook Brewery.

[​IMG]

My wife got hammered too.

[​IMG]

We stopped to see the fish throwers up in the Market. Pretty cool!

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what the pig thing is all about, but this one's wearing boots and I'm in my Triumph shirt.

[​IMG]
  3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We spent the better part of a day sitting in traffic in Vancouver BC.

Stopped by the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I think I had motion sickness after crossing. It really gets a move on.

[​IMG]

Stopped by Whyte Cliff Park and played with the harbor seals.

[​IMG]

Then I found some more seals sunning themselves on the other side of the rock. "Who's that old pervert that keeps staring down at us?" I am McLovin!

[​IMG]
  4. GoGo Gadget

GoGo Gadget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between PA and FL, if you want to stop in the DC area I can meet up with you. I can take you around teh nice paved roads in VA, or hook you up with soome dirt dudes for non paved fun. There is a state park in Prince William county, about 20 miles south of DC if you wanted a place to park and check the DC area out. http://www.nps.gov/prwi/planyourvisit/ttv.htm I am not sure about length restrictions, but I could ride over and find out if you are interested.

Or I could move mine and you could park in it's spot with a 50amp hook up at my house if you are passing through.
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Did a day trip up to Mount Baker, 10,000+ feet. This is Picture Lake.

[​IMG]

On the trail, around the bend, we made a new friend. We've seen plenty of bears on this trip, but they usually run away and wait for us to leave. This one ran 10 yards up the hill and turned around and came back down towards us. Oh my!! We backed away at a brisk pace until we regained a save distance.

[​IMG]

I got my wife right back out on the trail though. I was sure that this one was rated easy on the sheet.

[​IMG]

It was worth the trouble though.

[​IMG]
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Anacortes, we walked over the Deception Pass bridge. Boy did that thing jump around when the big trucks drove across.

[​IMG]

We took a ride out to Straight of Juan De Fuca to see if we could save Willy before the natives got to him.

[​IMG]

He's coming right for us!!

[​IMG]
  7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Last week we were in Concrete, WA. The North Cascades are definitely the highlight of our entire trip to date.

[​IMG]

On a whim, we hiked up Mt Sauk. If I had planned it, we would have never even tried it. 2 miles up, 120 stories in elevation! One of the scariest trails I've ever hiked, in rolling fog banks no less.

[​IMG]

The top was awesome. 5000+ feet above the Skagit River valley below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I did an uncharacteristic ride without maps. I always have the GPS, but I usually take my tankbag full of maps and goodies. I already knew that most of the FS roads I was going to be taking dead ended, so I certainly didn't need any stinking maps to tell me so.

After crossing the Skagit River, from the south side.

[​IMG]

Big tree memorial.

[​IMG]

12' diameter tree.

[​IMG]
  10. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The great stuff just keeps coming TZ. Glad you are having a good time. :thumb
  11. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    It wasn't long before I was afforded an excellent view of Mt. Baker.

[​IMG]

Riding up FS 1705

[​IMG]

To more views

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    The forest service roads were in excellent condition and I was making great time.

[​IMG]

Every once in a while I would find one that didn't see much traffic and was a little grown in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    It seemed that around every turn was a photo op.

[​IMG]

This is such a great road! It sees a lot of traffic on the weekends though, so keep your eyes open around the blind corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a superb lookout if you dare to ride to the top. The road was mildly challenging. Mount Baker.

[​IMG]

Looking back at Sauk Mountain.

[​IMG]
  14. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I continued on the main road around and down the back side of the mountain. The road turned to crap before I reached the end, according to the GPS. I was really hoping that the real road would continue past the GPS track as sometimes it does. I continued past this point on foot, until I felt like bear bait and turned back.

[​IMG]

I don't mind if the trail is grown in a bit, but I hate getting stuck in the mud.

[​IMG]
  15. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    There's a whole lot I didn't get to do in the Cascades, and I'm pretty bummed out about it. I'm in the Olympics right now, and there looks to be a lot of potential!

Also, we've decided to shorten up our travel plans, for a number reasons, mostly prefixed with a $. So, after this week in the Olympics, we're heading to Randle, WA, between Mt Rainier and Mt St. Helens for a week. Then it's hammer time to Phoenix to iron out some logistical problems and find a campground that will accept campers without grey hair and grandchildren. Then we're off to Key Largo, FL, via Pennsylvania for a month of scuba diving. We'll be back in good old PA for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving, then it's off to Phoenix for good. Should be there about Dec 1.

That means we've completely eliminated our stays in Oregon, California, West Florida, and Texas. I sure hope I get tons of vacation time at my next job so I can catch up on what I missed out on!
  16. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I was hiking up on Hurricane Ridge today and saw some potential ADVRiders' bikes. Sorry I didn't meet the owners, hope you guys had a blast too!

Well equiped Vstrom at Obstruction Peak.

[​IMG]

Dashy new KLR also at Obstruction Peak.

[​IMG]

Mt Olympus keeps a watchful eye on ADVRiders nearby.

[​IMG]
  17. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Went up to Cape Flattery, the claimed northwestern most part of the continental US and ran into this fellow and his wife from near Leavenworth, WA. Sweet 950 SE.

[​IMG]

On the trail

[​IMG]

My wife found this penis slug. She's got an eye for those things...

[​IMG]
  18. nightrider

nightrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Mt Sauk trail photo is pretty disorienting. The trail itself must have been awesome! Keep the photos coming for your deskbound buddies in the East.
  19. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Dude! It was the most bad assed trail we hiked the whole trip!

20. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I was fortunate enough to hook up with BillC and Zukzilla, both on yellow DRZ400's, for some riding in the Olympic National Forest. It's the first time since I was in Tennessee that I got to ride with some other ADVRiders.

We met at Loggers Lounge in Quilcene for breakfast. I got french toast, it was the best I've had in a long time. Coffee was great too!

[​IMG]

Then it was off to the Village Store to top off the tanks.

[​IMG]

Here's Zukzilla checking his GPS. We spent a great deal of time today trying to figure out why our Topo software didn't jive with the paper maps.

[​IMG]