Nightstalker wants to ride with YOU!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, May 12, 2007.

1. dziner

dziner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Give me a yell when you're on your way to Reading, PA. Maybe I can get a group from the Harrisburg area together to head out on some roads with you. We've been trying to plan a trip to Mt. Holly Springs, PA to explore some dirt roads but our schedules just haven't made it possible yet. Maybe in November!
  2. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Thanks buddy! But, unfortunately I'll be leaving the bike and my truck here in AZ. You're more than welcome to follow me while I'm driving the RV through there though. I expect to be coming up I-81 from TN on Saturday Oct 6. Beep when you get into the view of my backup camera!!

tz

3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I the last ride of my North American trip today. While my trip isn't over yet, the KTM and my truck will be staying here in Phoenix, awaiting my return from the east in December. You're probably asking yourself, how the heck is Nightstalker going to deal with not riding for more than two months. Well, I've been practicing with Pennsylvania winters for the past few decades. In addition, I'll be in the Florida Keys scuba diving for over a month, and, well to be honest, the keys aren't exactly an ultimate ride destination for me. I'd love to ride some of the sandy areas in north FLA, but the keys are for cruisers.

I started today on the Carefree Highway. I just missed WhiteknuckleMC, so my last ride would be solo, a number I've grown accustomed to over the past several months.

Lucky Shamrocks.

[​IMG]

Sunrise on the way to Carefree.

[​IMG]

The Carefree Sundial.

[​IMG]
  4. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I don't know exactly what this is, but it was a good photo op!

[​IMG]

A quick stop at Sears Kay. I didn't have my hiking boots on today, so this is about as far as I got.

[​IMG]

The first part of FS 24 out of Carefree is paved and twisty. But it's not long before it turned to sweet dirt.

[​IMG]
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    It didn't seem like it was all that far until I reached the turn off for Humbolt Mt Lookout.

[​IMG]

This side road was all paved, and with guardrails too! It was only a couple of miles until I reached the summit.

[​IMG]

And the view from the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Back on FS 24 heading north, I saw this big buzzard in this tree. He sat there until I pulled out the camera, then he was off.

[​IMG]

CrashDBad warned me about this slimy water crossing. Thanks buddypal!! Otherwise I would have flown across, perhaps on one wheel even. The depth was just right for me.

[​IMG]

Here's a great pic of the road and the nearly full moon faintly visible just about the mountains.

[​IMG]

Closeup of above.

[​IMG]
  7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I came across this interesting side route, FS602. It looked like fun!

[​IMG]

OK, this was too much fun for me. It was maybe doable. There were jeep/atv tracks. It was insane steep, with a big turn right below it, so you really can't get a runnie. This was the turning point for me.

[​IMG]

Looking back down.

[​IMG]

When I got back, my Mapsource says that FS 602 hooks eventually hooks up with Bloody Basin Road. I'll have to return to see for sure!
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    WOW, the road turned GREEN!! Not for long!

[​IMG]

Woohoo! I made it to Bloody Basin Road.

[​IMG]

I was warned that the Verde River crossing was deep, and I wasn't interested in taking that kind of risk today. I thought the river crossing was east so I started west. It wasn't far before I was confronted with a sign about the river crossing 21 miles ahead. I was already 67 miles in, another 21 would put me at 88, or 176 back to the gas station if I couldn't cross the river. So, I figured I'd head east to Payson. I could get gas there and head back the Beeline Highway to Fountain Springs. Wasn't far until I hit this sign.

[​IMG]

Man O Man! The safe bet was to turn around. And that's what I did. However, I did pull out my trusty FS map and found that FS 41 ran west off FS 24 to the I-17. Perhaps we should give that a try?? It doesn't cross the Verde river. I'm in!
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Back on FS 24 heading south. These are the types of river crossings I prefer.

[​IMG]

I saw this FS 597 spur on the way north. I wasn't going to let it pass by again! It looked a little challenging, at least it was dry!

[​IMG]

Getting interesting.

[​IMG]

I was a little worried at first, but the "road" got a little better up the way. I made it to the top of the saddle.

[​IMG]

I was expecting to see a vast valley when I reached the top, but it just leveled off and the road sort of disappeared.

[​IMG]

I consulted the FS map and it looked like while this road may continue on for a little ways, it was a dead end. Good enough reason for me to turn around.

View from the top. Looking back at the valley I just rode through.

[​IMG]

Looking back down the trail.

[​IMG]

Going back down the trail. The easy part.

[​IMG]
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I ran into this couple in a Jeep just after turning west on FS 41. I stopped to ask if they knew the road conditions, but it was their first time too. Turns out they moved to Phoenix a few years back, from State College, PA!! What a small world!!

[​IMG]

I was really liking FS 41. It would just keep getting better and better the farther I got in.

[​IMG]

I hadn't realized that this was a rattlesnake until I was passing right over it. I came back for a shot and here he is.

[​IMG]
  11. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    41 was such a great road. The surface started out good enough and got progressively worse as I neared I-17. Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    More FS 41 pictures.

[​IMG]

I missed a turn and got sidetracked. Well worth the diversion! Thank goodness for the GPS. I would have gone for miles and miles before I figured out I was off course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Back on FS 41, it was getting hot and the road was getting challenging. I was sure hoping that I wouldn't encounter anything that would make me turn around and go back the way I came.

This dried up river section was probably the toughest rocky section of the road.

[​IMG]

Switchbacked up a saddle. Here's 2 shots of the way I had come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I reached the top and could see the town of New River? or Anthem? I was just happy to be close to civilization again!

[​IMG]

It was pretty uneventful from here back to the campground. 130 miles total. Back by noon! I'm loving AZ!
  15. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Yo TZ, what happened to your front sprocket cover???
  16. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Ha! I pulled it off before I left PA. It was real good at retaining mud/dirt/crap.

[​IMG]
  17. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I put the 950 in storage today. It will stay there until the crypt is reopened in December.

I was really hoping that I would have hooked up with more ADVRiders along the way. I had a great time with the KLR guys in Tennessee in May, the DRZ boys on the Olympic in Washington, and my new friends in Phoenix. I'm real bummed that I didn't get to hook up with anyone while I was in Montana for 7 weeks and the other 4 weeks I spent in Washington, but prime adventure riding territories. Well, I guess that's what typically makes adventure riding a solo sport.

I'll most likely have terrible internet access for the next two months, so you might not hear much out of me until I return to Phoenix in December.

tz
  18. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    4 days and 2500 miles, Phoenix to Reading, PA.

After being on the road since April, it's hard to believe that I used to live here. I felt so comfortable in other cities like Missoula and Phoenix, this place I spent my whole life seems so foreign.

I'm leaving Tuesday for a month of scuba diving in Key Largo. Any ADVRiders down there stop by John Pennekamp state park and say hello.

Terry
  19. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Been in Key Largo for a little over a week now. No internet from the campsite, bummer. Three days of diving so far. Nice big shark yesterday.

[​IMG]
  20. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Terry

It's been great following you on your road trip, the photos are awesome. :clap
    We missed :(: you at the PB500 this year but, we dedicated this ride to you in your absence. WillLC8 and I rode day 3 together [finally], with him on a new Husky and me on the KTM, and we "paced" ourselves all day :wink: in your honor

Keep in Touch, BuddyPal