Nightstalker wants to ride with YOU!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, May 12, 2007.

1. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No fooling! Ride of a lifetime for sure.
  2. BillC

BillC Banned

Oddometer:
    Cool pic. Hope you're having fun in Florida. Warmer than here for sure. Keeping track of ya. Take care. BillC.
  3. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    I was really bumming about missing the PB500 this year. It really feels like a part of me. Jack has done an incredible job in the past and I'm sure this year was no less spectacular. Ray, I hope to hear that you and Will made it through day 3 injury free, a true tribute!

I must say that I'm not sorry to be bikeless in south Florida. The humidity here is oppressive, with lows in the 80's at night and highs in the 90's. Once you're wet here, you just never dry out again. Diving is real good though, except when the fish attack YOU! This school of big chubs came swimming our way, and at first I thought, WOW THIS IS COOL! Then, like Alfred Hitchcock was directing it himself, they attacked! One bit my wife in the head and hand. I, like a true General, hid behind her and escaped injury!

The enemy were about us in all directions.

[​IMG]

The divers circled the wagons to prevent an attack from the center.

[​IMG]

I had to fend one of the attackers off with my trusty camera.

[​IMG]

The first casualty of the battle.

[​IMG]

Just as quicky as it had begun, the battle was over with the enemy retreating into the depths. The Forces of Good regrouped and continued their expedition.
  4. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:

Will and I made it through with no casualties, but JB from SC went down hard after hitting a board hiddin in one of those nasty water holes, unfortunately he broke 3 ribs:cry :cry

Enjoy you trip:clap and keep the pictures coming
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Hey, buddypal!! I hope that you're making good use of that National Forest map!

Have you seen any of those Zukzilla pictures from our ride??

6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm out of Florida, barely over the line in Georgia, I-95 exit 1 to be exact. Weather hasn't been all that great for diving, high winds out of the east has been kicking up the swells and had me hanging off the side on one occasion.

So we bailed! We'll be in Washington, the DC variety, until the end of the week and then PA a week early. We're dying to get back to AZ. I didn't miss my 950 at all while in Florida. I'll be missing it big time in PA though. Too bad for me.

tz
  7. deerslayR

deerslayR Spodely Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Must be boring in Reading.

You missed a good Hammer Run this year.
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I'm bummed about missing the Hammer! I was drooling over the pictures that were posted!

Boring it was not! Ran the RV into a pickup truck parked in front of my in-laws on the way in. Took my mother-in-law into emergency on the first night back. The next day my cat was sick and I had to put her down. Two days later my wife had to get a molar extracted, which ended up taking half a day.

Did I mention it was f-ing cold?? Ran out of propane, furnace was just blowing cold air! We left early, after a week and a half, to head back to sunny and warm Arizona.

We hit snow showers in Virginia and Tennessee today. We're tucked away in Georgia tonight. Heading for Baton Rouge, LA tomorrow. Spent the night in the rain at a Wal-Mart somewhere in Virginia last night.
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We spent a couple of beautiful days in DC.

I yelled for George to come out and play, but his mom said he was busy.

[​IMG]

Went to see money get made. I was hoping someone might drop a brick and not notice it was missing, no such luck though.

[​IMG]

Went to see the Constitution and the Declaration of Indepence.

[​IMG]

US Supreme Court was a favorite.

[​IMG]
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    While we were in DC, we scored an apartment in Phoenix. My soon to be future home.

[​IMG]

That's Christina our leasing agent. She didn't want her photo taken.

[​IMG]
  11. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    While we were back in PA, we didn't do much more than visit with family and friends, and EAT at our favorite places!

Parked on the in-laws lawn on one of the frosty mornings.

[​IMG]

O'Grady's Family Restaurant, a breakfast and lunch favorite!

[​IMG]

Joanie, our favorite waitress.

[​IMG]

Terri from Texas, our favorite hostess.

[​IMG]
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Casa del Terry's parents. My dad built the coolest house on top of a mountain overlooking Reading. He did it mostly himself, in stages, as he had the money. We moved in while it was a work in progress. It's done now though!

[​IMG]

Terry's mom, she's a master gardener!

[​IMG]

Terry's dad, part time carpenter and kit car builder.

[​IMG]
  13. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Lattanzio Sandwiches, our favorite sandwich shop! We had to wait until Dawn's jaw had healed enough for her to have a sandwich. The wait nearly killed me!!

[​IMG]

Larry and Dot, they had the post cards we sent them from the trip up on their wall. They make the best sandwiches!!

[​IMG]

Whenever we went there for lunch, which was often, we almost always ordered the same thing. For Dawn, it's a grilled ham and cheese on a soft roll. For me, it's a grilled italian on a hard roll. We'd split a bag of Good's BBQ chips and wash it all down with Clover Farms ICY Green Tea. It's so good!

[​IMG]
  14. deerslayR

deerslayR Spodely Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW!
    No wonder you haven't posted. :D
    Vehicular Mayhem
    Medical Emegencies
    Pet Crisis :cry

Hope all is well when you see this.

BTW, Your mom is hot. :evil so is Tejas Terri. :D I'm a dirty old man. :brow

Say "Hi" to Dawn. :wave
  15. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Big rains followed by even colder weather was forcasted for PA last week, so we fled PA early. We hit some light snow showers in Virginia and Tennessee and spent a night well below freezing in Chattanooga.

That morning we woke to a sick kitty cat, so we took off for Baton Rouge and found a vet there that would see us. Poor kitty had a urinary tract infection, but was otherwise healthy. She gets a pill every morning and is doing much better.

We had a late start but did an easy 400 mile day to Schulenburg, TX. Violent rain and thunder storms raged all night. We were concerned that the RV might blow over. We were out of there early the next day and hammering across the never ending stretch of Texas interstate designated 10. Speed limit climbs to 80 MPH between San Antonio and El Paso, not that I was going that fast in the RV, but I could if I wanted to. Dawn's not feeling well today, so after 700 miles, I agreed to call it quits early at 6:00 PM and we pull into the Las Cruces KOA.

3 AM the next morning, Dawn wakes me saying she needs the ER. Wow! She's got to be real sick to want that. I find the local hospital and off we go through the dark streets of Las Cruces. Mountain View Medical Center is a beautiful new facility. We were quickly placed into an exam room and a doctor appeared a few minutes later. X-rays, ct scan, and MRI tests were all performed before 9:00. Dawn received a morphine and antibiotic drip and began to recover almost immediately. It was determined that she had some rouge viral infection. Her fever had broken and she was feeling better, I had her back to the RV by 1:00 PM.

Las Cruces is a very nice little town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuesday we completed the final 400 mile leg to Phoenix. Checked into our campground and ran off to have dinner with friends we made in Glacier National Park in Montana.

A most excellent feast with our new bestest Phoenix friends.

[​IMG]
  16. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we picked up our apartment keys! We now have an address again! It's time to get back on the tax roles.

[​IMG]

We spent the rest of the day shopping for furniture. Our first purchase, a new vacuum from Sears. We found most of what we needed at "The Room Store".

Living Room

[​IMG]

Dining Room

[​IMG]

Bed Room

[​IMG]

My mission for Black Friday is to purchase a new TV. I'm planning on spending most of the day sitting in traffic, wading through frantic shoppers, and waiting in long check out lines. BRING IT ON!
  17. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Our trip is now over, destination reached. We shortened things up a bit as we burned through our budget at an astonishing pace and got a mild case of travel burnout.

I had planned on spending $50k over 10 months, instead we went through about $40k in 7 months. That leaves us a little extra to get started again here in Phoenix.

Time to find jobs. Fortunately, Dawn may be able to get back into her old company, which has a plant here in Phoenix. I have an interview lined up for a job next Wednesday.

We put about 15k miles on the RV. I did another 4-5k on the bike. And, probably another 10k of siteseeing in our truck. It was an excellent trip with memories of great places and wonderful people. I took somewhere between 6-7000 photos, but only kept just over 5000. Most are posted on my smugmug site, https://nightstalker.smugmug.com. We are so glad that we made the opportunity for ourselves to take some time off and enjoy life.

Thanks for watching!
  18. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:

TZ

It's been great ride, I enjoyed every photo and ride report:clap,.......

Happy Thanksgiving,... Buddypal

Keep in Touch
  19. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes! Can you tell us how much of that was fuel?

Thanks for sharing!
  20. Nightstalker

Oddometer:

Maybe,

The RV gets between 7 and 8 MPG, so that's 2000 gallons of diesel. Diesel prices were crazy different between the east and west and the north and south. Highest price was $3.60 a gallon in PA when I left a week ago. Lowest price was in Kentucky at about $2.55/gallon. So figure about $3.10 average and you get $6200!

My V8 Dakota averages about 17 MPG (that's pretty good). That's 588 gallons at about $3.00 a gallon, that's $1764 total.

The KTM probably averages 35 mpg off road and 45 on road. Let's say 115 gallons of premium unleaded at $3.30 a gallon, another $380.

That's $8344 in fuel. I'm sorry I figured that out.

I did save $0.01/gallon by using my Flying J card!