Nightstalker wants to ride with YOU!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, May 12, 2007.

1. DirtRoadDave

DirtRoadDave I am Iron man

Oddometer:
    what are your plans for the rv now and can you expand on how to buy one smartly?
  2. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy cow! I was wondering how you burned the money you'd budgetd so fast since you were camping most of the time, and here it looks like nearly 25% of the expense went to the oil companies. (shiver)
  3. Artboy57

Artboy57 Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer:
    What an odyssey! I just spent an hour and a half following your trip and it was great. Lots of trip ideas for the future, welcome to the Wild West! I have parents in Kingman and a bro -in-law in Tucson, hope you guys enjoy Arizona!:thumb

Cheers! Artboy57
  4. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    There's nothing cheap about camping anymore. With more and more Americans purchasing RVs, the demand for campsites has gone through the roof. Combine that with the fact that many campgrounds are getting bought up for there real estate value, the supply has diminished. That leads to skyrocketing prices! Just try to get a private campground in the Florida Keys for less than $70/night, with many near $100! The state parks there are a good deal at $27/night, but make sure you have a reservation, the winter months are booked out 11 months in advance.

We probably averaged above $30/night for camping, about $6500 total. Finding a decent campground near a major city is difficult at best, impossible at worst. And they are priced the highest with the fewest ammenities. We stayed at a lot of KOAs, which are a mixed bag. Some are great and some are dumps. They are usually in a convenient location, have full hookups (which my wife likes), and a decent staff. The best campgrounds we stayed at were Army Corps of Engineer campgrounds, usually $17/night for water and electric. Wide sites spaced a good distance apart, on beautiful lakes and rivers.

We also had more than $2000/month in RV/truck/bike loans, health insurance, auto insurance, etc. It's nice living in a big ass motorhome, but it's not cheap.
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Thanks buddy! We're loving Phoenix so far. Can't wait to bake through our first summer.
  6. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    I followed you trip from the beginning and I hoped we could hook up but you never seemed to make it near Portland OR. It looks like you had the trip of a life time and you went first class. Best of luck on you new adventures in PX.
  7. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow TZ, what an incredible journey. Seems like it flew by I bet. Glad we were able to ride together way back at the beginning. Congrats to both of you on a terrific and safe trip.

I hope to get out to AZ some time and ride with you there, so research some good routes will you?
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I'm real bummed about missing out on Oregon. I was soooo looking forward to riding and hiking there. But, Phoenix is only 1000 miles away, which is about a day in my book. Just ask my good buddy Kenny from Knoxville, TN, I was down there for a meeting and drove the 630 miles back to PA afterward! It's going to take me a while to get tired of AZ though. I'm eyeing up some of the upcoming DVDaze!

tz

9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Dude, it's so awesome out here!! You got to come out! Land that Shamrock acct and bring the bike!

10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    DRD I sent you a big long PM.

11. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Terry, thanks for all the posts, pics, and stories. In case you don't remember we rode together in TN, I was on the MZ Baghira. A lot because of that rally and riding with you I found a set of dirt wheels (the whole stock setup, with brake caliper mount, different sidestand, etc) for the Baggi. Excellent on the FS roads now versus the 17s.

I was a bit shocked to see how much you spent on fuel, wow. I've seen other posts about guys trying to camp at KOAs and such, and that really isn't much of a bargain anymore is it?

Gonna check out your smugmug acct too as I'm hoping you posted a bunch of dive pics too. You can see my last dive trip pics at https://baggitard.smugmug.com/Vacation They are from Curacao, we went in August.

Keep us posted with your new rides and take care. How'd the job search go btw?
  12. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh hey Terry, what kind of U/W camera are you using film or digi? I still have a couple of film cameras, but when I take them to Sam's for developing I just have them saved to a CD right off the bat. Don't even get prints anymore, just pic out a few to print later.
  13. zrod

zrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You guys were a site to behold!:thumb

[​IMG]

Terry, it was great to meet you and good luck tryin to settle down.
    We really enjoy your most excellent photography and reporting style.
    Pam still talks about her first MultiDualSport water crossing with us!

[​IMG]

Hope to see you out there somewhere again!
    Rod,,,still not believin how well you handle that big 9fitty in the dirt!:nod :thumb
  14. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    BUDDYPAL!! I was just looking at my TN pictures the other night and remembering what a great time I had with you and all the KLR guys (and gal).

Looks like you got some good diving in at Curacao! I was down there in 2005 pictures. We stayed at Habitat, place was nice enough, but the food was like poison! And, Dawn had a head cold and we didn't get much diving in. The shore diving was good there though.

Cameras... I had an older Sea and Sea for a while, which was ok, but would burn through a set of AA's in one dive!! This past trip to the Keys I used a Fuji F series camera with the Fuji underwater housing. I was quite happy with the results!

That MZ of yours is BADASS!! I couldn't believe how you were tearing it up with street tires!! You're surely be a force to be reconed with some knobbies.

I was out today with some Arizonians. Desert riding is unbelievable!! I need a bigger tank!!

tz

15. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting everyone and riding! I actually had a job offer in Knoxville and I could have been living there now, but the wife and I were set on AZ, and here we are.

If you think that stuff was good, you should see the stunts I pull off when no one is looking!
  16. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Hey Terry, Just checkin in on you. Your missing the PA weather, cold, windy, raw, and just sucky. Talked to MOTOMIKE:drums thanksgiving week, he was heading north from Carolina (workin down there now, selling custom stairs for big $$$$$) He's been to busy to be able to post any updates on-line. Outa marital bliss:deal (ya right):huh , all of his KTM's, are gone and all he's got left is the BMW. Poor bastard:cry .
    Is that KTM out of storage yet??,, I've been out and about on the bike just exploring PA, especially in the north west area, looking to get a ride organized :freaky for the spring "Explore PA". The bro DGRS2 hasn't been riding since he blew out his shoulder at Matto's KTM day. I know that he's not quite up to 100% yet.
    Hope you and Dawn are having a good go in AZ, Happy Holidays to both of you.:kat
  17. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Uncle Robert!! How ya doing, buddypal!!

I got out on the bike for some easy off road riding just yesterday. The thread is here.

So, moto pulled the trigger and headed south! I can't believe it. After threatening all these years. And now, he doesn't have any bikes to enjoy it. He's probably on the coast anyway. Did he trade the dirt bikes in for jet skis??

Looks like you's guys are getting hammered already this year. I'm so glad we're in sucky Phoenix. I was wearing shorts today!!!

tz
  18. 1stiski

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

BCbiker (blue 950) and Myself, somewhere around Woodward , PA checking out the great off road trails

[​IMG]

BCbiker and 1stiski chowing at the Wilderness Lodge Resturant, off in no man's land. (great burgers, fries, beer ) and interesting locals !!!

Yes, Moto has made the move. He did say he's got a boat now, so he's still playing alittle. I think the BMW is up in PA without a future:cry
  19. 1stiski

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Moto hasn't changed. !!!:eek1
  20. 1stiski

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The PA deer hunters just can't seem to find a good rack.:lol3