NikonsAndVStroms Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NikonsAndVStroms, Feb 25, 2010.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    On this image I would watch the exposure (the white rock looks slightly blown out) and possibly a polarizer to play with the level of reflection. The other main point is just to watch the cropping (a topic I know I return to often) and maybe take back the color saturation a bit.
  2. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    For this image you are looking down and if you were to bring the camera lower and angle it more level the composition could work better. Also watch out for the flowers since they are slightly cropped off the frame.

This image too is over saturated (which is visible most on the flowers) is this how they are coming from the camera or what type of processing are you using?
  3. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a fun little technique to play with. Excellent suggestion!
  4. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    When doing images like this the big thing to watch out for is how the object fits in the frame. Like having it start right in the corners, also you look to be at a slight off angle looking down. Are most of your photos from the standing position?
  5. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I like the contrast in this image, the big thing is chopping off the side of the left most column, and you can see a hint of the next one on the right. Also you do need to chop something off with this image and it is not easy, the best way to get a feel for it is lots of trial and error.
  6. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    The big thing is about what budget you are looking at then. For action shots the best AF possible is needed but that gets expensive fast, and even has multiple levels in the consumer DSLR's.
  7. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    I often shoot sunrise/sunset shots (since I have to work in shooting around my full time job), which means a lot of silhouette shooting. Any pointers - I'll provide a couple shots as reference:

1) Loading chute, looking into the sunrise:

[​IMG]

2) Looking west towards the sunset:

[​IMG]

3. Tree & Haybales @ Dusk

[​IMG]

I have had 1 & 3 printed on metallic paper with good results, but am, again, looking for composition, exposure and editing tips.

This is fun.
  8. snoid

snoid 100% Okie

Oddometer:
    composition is okay in these... i'd look at the characteristic curves if i were you(exposure). yer blacks are sunk to about zone 1.5 and i think if there were just a touch of detail in there, say, zone 2.5 to 3, i think you'd like them better. that being said, my monitor is uncalibrated, and or there may be low zonal detail in the blacks on the print that i'm unable to see.
  9. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    great thread :clap

Thank you guys for taking the time to evaluate everybody's images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are 3 from a calender I put together.
  11. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    For the compositions I like the 1st one the most, you have this big silhouette which is clearly a main focus and then the sky as a nice background. I think this one would look best on a cloudless night or at least less distinctive since they take away from the sharp definition of the loading chute.

On the 2nd I would cut off the top of the sky it is pretty much empty space and not adding much. As for the objects there are a few with the tree, the farm equipment to the left and right of it, and the final tree cropped off the the left. None of these has dominance and are so oddly placed (some next to each other than other random distances) it doesn't grab my eye and I am darting around.

For number 3 I think if you go back to this location, have a little bit more sun, and the clouds are a bit higher, or do a slightly different angle to really have the bold black outline on the sky it would be a really nice image. Also being a bit closer would be nice since it is such a complex shape so you can have more detail.
  12. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    A quick crop of one of TB's

[​IMG]
  13. snoid

snoid 100% Okie

Oddometer:

nothing wrong with that, sid. then, i've a soft spot for monument valley.
  14. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    1) Is nice but a pretty standard skyline image. The only thing I can really see is cropping a bit higher to get rid of the blue negative space on the bottom right.

2) I really like, for fun try turning it 90 degrees clockwise, it gives the image a very different feel.

3) I would maybe pan up a little bit since you have lots of lower negative space and basically none above. Also in this case the light trails seem to be distracting. Overall the image is a good representation of the place which I am guessing is the purpose in the calender, forgive the expression but it needs that "it" factor (be it some other angle of view, lighting, etc.) to make it really popping as a stand alone image.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Thank you, sir.
  16. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    What a great bunch of photos so far. NikonsAndVstroms was a big help to me when I was trying figure a few things out before pulling the trigger on my D90 back in December. I bought the Singh Ray Vari ND Duo last month and have been playing around with it a lot. Here's one an HDR of one of the near by streams.

[​IMG]
  17. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips - on the ISO front, I didn't have a tripod so was trying to keep the length of exposure down which lead to pushing up the ISO.

That's interesting that you both thought to get more of the structure in the frame. At the time I remember trying to get less in but now that you mention it, I can see the logic. :thumb
  18. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Maybe a tad underexposed but the issue with an image like this is the final output. As a 50MP wall or larger sized image this would be amazing. But here many of the details don't have enough room to really make their presence felt. If you got rid of the moon or is that a star? Then it has a very watercolor feel to it currently.

This is one of the times when due to the size of your output the photograph can not fully capture the scene in front of you. This begins to get the feeling but a harsher light would really bring this. My 2 suggestions are to bring a telephoto lens next time and play with it for the landscapes, and 2 check out Galen Rowell's work and I highly recommend his book Mountain Light for you.

Here are 2 examples of "telephoto landscapes" I have made:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You just want to find that 1 detail like in the 1st image the trees as a frame, and in the 2nd the actual shapes of them on top of the mountain and use this to add to your landscape.
  19. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto Vote early and vote often.

Oddometer:
    I am open to criticism.
    What say you about the Nikon 80-400VR as well?

Alaska 5/09
    [​IMG]
  20. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    damn it, I wish I wasn't getting ready to leave for the weekend - this has got learning opportunities written all over it. :cry Hopefully I'll get to check in a bit.

I appreciate the input from all so far - I'm eager to hear ways to improve my shooting.

I'll leave you with a fun one to take a look at. Sunrise - subject was unintended - had planned to just take a shot of the landscape and play around with my new, at the time, graduated ND9 cokin filter pane. By the time the sun came up to the horizon, the critters had moved up front and center. lemons/lemonade. I spun the filter over and slid it up so the dark hard edge was on/just slightly above the horizon line....nothing spectacular - just makes me smile.

[​IMG]
    motopsyco, GAS GUY and edge2edge like this.